Lord Sky, please tell us that you and your family are ok!!!

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

danlo
Lord

Lord Sky, please tell us that you and your family are ok!!!

Post by danlo »

I just read a horrible story in the news that said outrageous wildfires have sprung up all around Canberra, Austrailia, killing 1 person, destroying over 100 homes and putting 50 people in the hospital. Sky please tell us that u and ur family r ok--I'm deeply concerned about u, my very bestest friend!!!
fall far and well Pilots!
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Hi danlo, yeah 4 fatalities as of last night (Aust time).

Has there been any comment from Sky yet?

There were a LOT of homes lost, its lucky that the casualty list wasn;t higher than it was. Also about 75% of Canberra is without power.

So even if a resident was nowhere near the fires, they MAY still have no internet access (while the power's out).

I also hope Sky's ok over there.

PS : Down here in Melbourne, (about 7 hours drive from Canberra) the entire city is under a pall and stench of smoke. There are bushfires EVERWHERE. Canberra's is the only one which got to a built-up area 9to my knowledge).
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Jesus! Sky prob couldn't communicate w/us if Sky wanted 2! Christ I'm worried--I also hear that this is a result of a terrible year-long drought! And if that isn't bad enuf: when the bushfires hit the eucalyptus trees the oil ignites creating something like a 100%+ combustability factor!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I hope and pray that Sky & family are OK, but just can't talk to us right now...
Love as thou wilt.

Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

I think Sky is just trying to avoid the next chess move ;) :cross:
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

danlo wrote:Jesus! Sky prob couldn't communicate w/us if Sky wanted 2! Christ I'm worried--I also hear that this is a result of a terrible year-long drought! And if that isn't bad enuf: when the bushfires hit the eucalyptus trees the oil ignites creating something like a 100%+ combustability factor!
Basically its an almost-nationwide drought which has been going on for about 6 years in a 'sort-of' fashion, but has been full on for the last 3 years.
danlo
Lord

GOOD NEWS, 4 NOW!!!

Post by danlo »

I just talked 2 Lord Sky on Trillian and Sky posted this @ Ahira's Hangar, Sky can, 4 some reason, reach the Hangar but not the Watch:
well I'm sorry I havent responded to danlo's thread or been here in a while .. as you know we have been under siege here in Canberra .. the city is battling an enormous fire front kilometers long .. and here in North Belconnen [Nth West Canberra]on 3 fronts .. the same large front that encircles the whole of Canberra and 2 other smaller fronts.

We had fires here across the road on Saturday and Sunday .. and we had 3 properties to protect .. so we have been flat out!

I had hoped it was over Sunday night/Monday .. but its not! We have been put on alert today again .. and we are prepared for evacuation if needed.

The streets are smoke filled .. ventolin manufacturers must be making a killing .. :wink: :wink:

I am freaked .. I am worried for the kids .. I couldnt give a rats about the house .. even though we fight to preserve it .. and I couldnt give a rats about our personal property .. [apart from my new computer]

We now have a van and a sedan .. so there is no reason for me to leave the comp behind simply to add fuel to the already voracious fires! And thats what I am trying to convince my partner :wink: anyhoo ..

We are packing bags .. but just wanted to sign in and say .. bye maybe for a while ..

They are anticipating 65-80km winds today .. so if it comes, its gonna come in fast ..

From my dining room window we have seen the fires in the valley below .. and yes danlo .. when the fire hits eucaplypts .. there have been some spectacular explosions ..

Friends of ours live in Duffy the worst hit suburb of Canberra ..

they only lost their pergola .. no biggy .. but in excess of 400 homes have been lost and so far 4 deaths and 100's of injured ..

I have always loved living here .. its one place where even though you may live in suburbia you are surrounded by exquisite bushlands .. I wouldnt trade that for a fire-free concrete jungle .. and when this all blows over .. and we actually get to see the extent of the devastation .. its gonna be a time for mourning ..

The loss of the native flora and fauna and the devastation of everything we love burned to cinder ..

This is the worst bush-fire in the history of Canberra .. and some are saying it surpasses the Ash Wednesday fires in extremity. Victoria and NSW and soon WA are all been subject to these bushfires .. though not as extreme as experienced in the ACT now .. and they are made only more virulent by the drought and hot weather and winds we have had this summer ..

Any way .. I gotta go .. just wanted to check-in and say I may be away for a while .. depending on if I can swing keeping the comp and all ..

.. or .. umm :wink: :wink: this may be my last transmission :wink: :wink: :wink:

over and out .. roger [the] dodger! :wink: :wink:

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing
Last edited by danlo on Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

If somebody wanted to set up a relief fund (for Sky if needed, others if not), I'd be glad to donate what little I could to help out.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

What he said!^
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

I am freaked .. I am worried for the kids ..

They are anticipating 65-80km winds today .. so if it comes, its gonna come in fast ..

Jesus, that's terrifying!

Here's suggesting that we all pray, after our own fashion, for the safety of Sky and his family, and everyone else in Canberra.
Also for rain...

How would we go about setting up a relief fund?

[/quote]
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
danlo
Lord

More from Sky @ the Hangar early this morning!

Post by danlo »

well we made it through another day

and even though tomorrow we will still be under an 'alert' I am happily sitting by my beloved computer once again .. the kids are sleeping in their own beds and all is well.

.. life goes on one day at a time .. and I made a chess move against Vain .. all is as it should be.

Sure my porch is piled with our suitcases and stuff .. but you'd hardly know at this moment that it has been another tuff day

We live on a hillside .. and walked to the top of the hill to get a better look at whats going on in the Valley below .. visibility was minimal because of smoke .. burned debris from the fires a way off .. was falling out of the sky onto the ground and around our home ..

And when we arrived home my face was burned from the walk in the smoke and ash filled air. I was surprised as my face still smarts from that walk.

We are well positioned here .. but we back onto reserved native park areas .. which creates the hazard for us .. which it is for most suburbs here ..

Part of the problem here is the Pine Plantations .. which I believe are poorly managed .. with insufficient fire breaks .. and positioned way too close to residential areas. Had these things been attended to .. who knows how much the devastation could have been reduced or even partly averted.

Anyway this is not the time for assigning blame .. but for rallying together to get through this 'natural' disaster.

thanks danlo for your concern .. it is greatly appreciated.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!

'health and healing
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Wow, that's pretty scary. I hope you're alright, Sky. Scary stuff.-jay
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

Yeesh, how awful. Sky, I'm thinking about you and your family, and hope that everyone makes it through okay.
MokshaTuriyaSamadhi Raver

Post by MokshaTuriyaSamadhi Raver »

Canberra hopefully has seen the worst of what are really frightening series of fires. The only problem is that this weekend the temperatures will be reaching in excess of 40 celsius again and that lifts up the notch unfortunately.

Another bad thing is that the fires in North East Victoria (where I am) are burning horribly as well and both these disasters are drawing about firefighters from both fronts.

The worst thing is that all these fires are thought to be suspicious. They arrested a guy trying to start a fire on a total fire ban day in Inner-North Canberra which would be disasterous to say the least.

Hope you are ok Sky - I'm in Canberra when I go back to uni if I have a university to go back to after all this. :P If you guys need any help fixing up houses or stuff like that give me a buzz.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

yeah Moksha the fires in rural Victoria are pretty extreme now .. isnt it a 300km front there fighting there? and they're all over .. its bushfire country! almost all states apart from Northern territory not facing a fire threat of some kind at all .. its crazy! :?

.. things have quietened here .. I'm hopeful .. even though today was not so good vis-a-vis the 38+ temperatures .. but the winds were not as strong as predicted.

We have remained on alert today .. but there is a chance of rain tomorrow .. I just want these fires extinguised .. OUT now like everyone no doubt! 8O

Anyway Moksha might take you up on that offer :wink: :wink: .. I'm sure they'd be something to do :wink: :wink: :P .. and might even see you on campus :wink: which Uni you applied for?
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
MokshaTuriyaSamadhi Raver

Post by MokshaTuriyaSamadhi Raver »

I'm at ANU, Burton + Garran Hall.

No worries... we've got a big front here - Alpine fires are joining up with the ones we've got down here. Luckily the containment lines are holding at the moment but everyone is on edge hoping for rain tomorrow before the real cold front hits later on this week.

If you hear anything about Beechworth and around there - that's me. :P

A bit earlier on it looked decidedly dodgy - they have my number in case they want volunteers. Haven't got a certificate so I can do anything at the front but they need people to do fire breaks etc....
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Sky! Do you still have a mailbox?
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Living in NZ, it's hard to imagine a drought 8O It just rains and rains and rains and..... ;)

Here's hoping that all remains safe and sound in and around the homes of our Aussie members :)

Of course - I'd have no idea what to say to our Iraqi members :wink:
Earthblood
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthblood »

To Sky & fellow Aussie Watchmembers - I hope today finds you in better circumstances than previous days.
If I could, I would send some of our 36" of snow and -12 F temps to give you some relief.
Hang in there & keep us informed.
Thoughts & prayers are with you.
Earthy
"You're afraid of yourself."
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Another day, another newspaper, and yet another story of firefighters going off their NUT!

A bunch of them fought into a fully complete ring of flame in the mountains and saved three schoolteachers.

Another bunch shut up shop within their engine and covered themselves with blankets while fire ripped over their patch of turf. Just huddled until it had passed and then got up and went back to work

And these people are VOLUNTEERS.

Many people owe their lives to these folk. I think, in a general sense, all of us owe them honour for playing host to whats left of humanity.

Heroes.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”