KW Anthology - and this time we mean it!

For the discussion about old anthologies, or the planning of new ones.

Moderators: hierachy, aTOMiC

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Yes. It is done and temporarily available on my cafepress e-store. I will make the materials available to Jay so that we can transfer the book to his account.
We can replace the document any time we wish so if we discover some tragic oversight, we can make corrections from time to time.
I've already got a jump on the 2007 Anthology. This time out its a space based Sci fi story called The Haaku. I could have it ready in a few weeks if the next Anthology has any interest.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

:letsparty: :nanaparty:

Good job, Tom and dAN! I *love* the cover. Can't wait to order multiple copies!

Hmm...anthology 2007...what to write, what to write.... I think a graphic novel would be a cool addition; however, I won't be submitting one, given that I am incapable of drawing a stick house with the sides parallel. :roll:

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Excellent!

Anthology 2... hmmm. Well, I am all for it (and will actually contribute something this time). My main concern would is that we avoid a repeat of what happened last time where people got upset when their contribution wasn't selected.

Personally I think the anthology would suffer greatly if there was no system in place to ensure the quality of what gets in the book... and that inevitably means that some people's submissions will be rejected. I think this needs to be made clearer next time around and we need to come up with stricter submission guidelines. I don't think we can avoid the disappointment of those who's entries don't get selected (it's part of the package, unfortunately), but I do think we can take these steps to minimise it.

And of course we should try to get the second one finished a little faster. ;) :P

But yeah, this is great news, and hopefully now that we have a precedent and are no longer in uncharted waters, things should run much more smoothly.

PS. Tom, Lulu.com may be a better option than cafepress. PM me.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

James wrote:Personally I think the anthology would suffer greatly if there was no system in place to ensure the quality of what gets in the book... and that inevitably means that some people's submissions will be rejected. I think this needs to be made clearer next time around and we need to come up with stricter submission guidelines.
Yeah. I did my share of whinging, and the grounds were twofold - not just a matter of not being accepted. I think if the exact criteria were clarified (easy to say with hindsight) there would be less griping.

For ease of reference, I think the main issues were:

1) Some contributors had more than one piece included. It wasn't clear that this might be the case.

2) Some pieces were rejected on grounds that hadn't been specified beforehand. I'm not sore about it anymore, but I'll give my example since it's the one I know best. I was told mine was of high enough quality but too short, yet I had previously mentioned the length and been told it was fine. Again, this kind of thing really needs to be made clear in advance.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

And once again that damn selection process comes back to haunt me. *hides head under the blankets*

;)
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

:lol: You will never be free of it!
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I think maybe I just need to become a cold, hard bastard - then it would be fine. :D

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'd volunteer to be part of putting together a new one, but I'm not sure I'd be good for anything. Maybe the selection process, though I'm slightly afraid that I might turn out to be too picky in my tastes to work with people on something like that.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

That's why there were three of us last time - it worked well but for the little issues Cj has mentioned above, which could be easily ironed out with some clear criteria.

Go on Murrin. Go on, go on, go on, go on, go on. ;)

jelerak
Bloodguard

Post by jelerak »

Wow...I've been out of touch for a couple of weeks and BAM!!! This is really gathering some momentum.

To everyone who has been putting forth such efforts at getting this done, thanks for the hard work and persistance.

KW Anthology 2007? I'll have a couple of more submissions for ya'll to check out once ya'll are ready to start gathering potential candidates.
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

This time around, the only double acceptances happened to be poetry. Short poetry. But if 2 stories by the same author get the votes to be accepted, they should be accepted.

I'm on a mission to get good fiction published. I'm even considering going into the ebook publishing business, except there are a few holes in my experience.

Glad to see you, jelerak. I thought I would end up emailing you the news. :)
Last edited by Dragonlily on Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Dragonlily wrote:This time around, the only double acceptances happened to be poetry. Short poetry. But if 2 stories by the same author get the votes to be accepted, they should be accepted.
I disagree. But it's not my decision.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I'm not sure how I feel about multiple entries by one author. In the case of poetry I have no issue in fact I would prefer poetry by one author to be arranged in groups of at least 2 or more given that its generally a very small sample. Stories on the other hand can in some cases fill half a book. More than one entry in this case I would have to say ought to be rare unless there are special circumstances. All of this is a good example why I couldn't serve on a selection committee. I can't imagine rejecting anything I knew someone poured their heart and soul into.

James, I checked out LULU. Very cool site/service. I'm looking into the benefits. :-)

hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

aTOMiC wrote:James, I checked out LULU. Very cool site/service. I'm looking into the benefits. :-)
Basically it offers the same POD service as cafepress. The main advantages I know of are that it has cheaper international shipping for those of us not in the US (or at least, for those of us in the UK/Europe), and it is also EXTREMELY easy to have an ebook format as well.

And since it is already formatted for cafepress, it would take practically nil reformatting to transfer it over to lulu.
Last edited by hierachy on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

James wrote:
aTOMiC wrote:James, I checked out LULU. Very cool site/service. I'm looking into the benefits. :-)
Basically it offers the same POD service as cafepress. The main advantages I know of are that it has cheaper international shipping for those of us not in the US (or at least, for those of us in the UK/Europe), and it is also EXTREMELY easy to have an ebook format as well.

And since it is already formatted for cafepress, it would take practically nil reformatting to transfer it over to lulu.

I've created a lulu account. I'm thinking of going through the steps (the way I did with my cafepress account) to post what we have of the Anthology. I've sent Jay all the material, he hasn't mentioned when he'd be posting the data to his store but if lulu makes more sense then we should suggest that Jay transfer the Kevin'swatch store there.

hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Excellent.

As far as quality/reliablility goes, I have no first hand experience with them, but I've heard good things from writers who have.

A look at the cost calculator indicates that the book itself would also cost less.
Last edited by hierachy on Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

well that was easy.

(closed in favor of Jay's version of the book on LULU)

Heck its much cheaper at lulu and you can preview the first 10 pages of the book. Neat!

:-)
Last edited by aTOMiC on Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

aTOMiC wrote:well that was easy.

X

Heck its much cheaper at lulu and you can preview the first 10 pages of the book. Neat!

:-)
Looking good!
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Joy did an outstanding job with the Editor's notes.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Truly excellent Joy, truly excellent. :D

Return to “Kevin's Watch Anthology Forum”