KW Anthology - and this time we mean it!

For the discussion about old anthologies, or the planning of new ones.

Moderators: hierachy, aTOMiC

hierachy
Lord

KW Anthology - and this time we mean it!

Post by hierachy »

Was it about a year ago that I first posted this idea? Well, it looked like happening for a while, until it became obvious that the only major contributor was Clear Frontier ("who the hell's that?" you yell), with his wacky glasses... and then it completely died when he realised he had enough material for his own book (and Follys Challenge was born).

Anyway, that was then, and this is now. CF has reinvented himself numerous times, as have I (though I seem to be more or less back where I started... :? ). So, now we do this for real!

But it can't just be TOM C and I. No, that would not do at all. Come, writers of the watch, your forum (anthology) needs YOU!
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Okay guys. I totally agree with all of the above statement. I have lots of ideas for short stories that I would love to contribute to a KW Collection. I know there are a lot of aspiring and practicing writers here on the Watch that could make this idea really cool. Thanks to POD we can publish the book ourselves if we choose. Edge would be great to do the cover art. Just imagine. I really wanted Hier's idea to happen last year and I'm just as excited about it now. What say you? :D
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

I'd love to contribute some new, original poems and (gasp) maybe even a short story! I haven't written anything substantial since my novella, which I finished in April, so it'd be great to flex my storytelling muscle again. Also: are there any parameters, or can the story be about anything?
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

That'd be great, Foul.

There aren't really any strict guidlines yet. But obviously as it's an anthology we'll have to try and keep the length of things reasonably small.
Last edited by hierachy on Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Sounds OUTSTANDING!!

I have ZERO creative writing talent.

And less graphic arts talent (I yell for Edge when I need help!)

But I'd purchase a Watch Anthology!!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Baradakas and myself came up with a similar idea. The problem was that everytime I came up with a good idea or story I wanted to keep it for myself.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Yes, I remember. :P

This predates Baradakas, though :P
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Maybe you writers can post your submissions and the rest of us can vote on which ones make the book.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

I have a pretty lame short fiction that I wrote a few years ago for a class. I can submit that if you all want to see it...heh. It's supposed to be a comedy, but you know how funny humor can be.-jay
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I've got a short story I'd like to contribute to the collection. Unfortunately it's not written yet.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
ZefaLefeLaH
Banned

Post by ZefaLefeLaH »

Once upon a time, the end.

Like it?
The first ever kitten psychologist
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I could make a contribution, but I'd have to wait for inspiration, so I may not be the most reliable source.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The Evil BARD wrote:Yes, I remember. :P

]#
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Loremaster wrote:
The Evil BARD wrote:Yes, I remember. :P

]#
LOL!

Great to see some more interest this time round!

And yeah, EDGE FOR COVER ILLUSTRATOR!

Ps. ]#
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

Sounds fun
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Wasn't around for this last time, but it's a cool idea, Hierachy.

I think a schedule with clear deadlines for submission should be established if you want to avoid the anthology being derailed again. This may help encourage people to stay committed to the project, because the schedule gives us a sense of the anthology as a whole--a grand construction we are all working together to complete. Take the example of the Dissecting The Land forum: without deadlines compelling us to do our chapter reviews on time, that whole forum might have ground to a halt a long time ago.

You, or someone you designate, will need to play taskmaster as well (just as danlo does in the Dissecting forum) if you're serious about making this anthology a reality, Hier.

Here's a working title for you: KW Anthology Executive Editor. Doesn't that sound neat? :)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I'll contribute a shortstory and poems. 8) (Taskmaster am I!?8O ...hmmm... :whip: :twisted: )
fall far and well Pilots!
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

I'd be very happy to do a cover illustration - and I might just try a short story as well if Danlo promises not to beat me.
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Yeah! Edge rules!

Anyway, as to Matrix mans points: You're very right. We do need to sort out some kind of schedual...
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I'm very happy to see some genuine interest in the Anthology from a variety of Watchers. I think guidelines and parameters are a terrific idea.
I recommend the following:
1.Limit the maximum length of each story to 5,000 words with no minimum. (certainly open for discussion)
2. A 60-day period for submissions with a hard deadline.
3. A selection process if the number of submissions exceed a reasonable volume.
4. Volunteers for an editing team.
5. Publication through Cafepress or PODs of a similar (free) nature.
There are copyright issues that may need to be considered however I have no experience with such matters. I'm sure we would welcome any input from any Watchers with experience in publishing.
I have a story in mind that I will begin writing at once. I recommend a separate thread to submit stories.
This may be going too far however it occurs to me that in order to preserve the newness of the stories for the entire group I imagine that a selection committee might be formed and all submissions be transmitted directly to the committee for review that way when the Anthology reaches publication the read is fresh for most Watchers who obtain a book. Again it may be taking things too seriously to restrict access to the stories in this way.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart

Return to “Kevin's Watch Anthology Forum”