WGW Chapter 20: The Sun-Sage

TWL, TOT, WGW

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

WGW Chapter 20: The Sun-Sage

Post by variol son »

DISCLAIMER – I am someone who finds it much easier to express themselves with the spoken word as opposed to the written word. I hope however that my love of this chapter, and my appreciation of the beauty that SRD has wrought in it, will be obvious to you al regardless.

Be true my friends. :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The moment that Linden Avery has been dreading has finally come. Thomas Covenant, ur-Lord and Unbeliever, Earthfriend and Illender, Giantfriend and Prover of Life, her beloved, has died.

He gave his life, and now as the keystone of the Arch of Time - wild magic personified - he stands between Lord Foul and the Despiser's mad goal. Corruption himself is as good as dead, driven to fatal self-expenditure by a madness that stretched back to the dawn of time.

And in the aftermath of this titanic struggle, the Chosen grieves over the body of her lost love.
She sat cross-legged near the dais, with Covenant's head in her lap. No Breath stirred his chest. He was already growing cold. The capacity for peril which had made him so dear to her had gone out. But she did not let him go. His face wore a grimace of defeat and victory - a strange fusion of commandment and grace - that was as close as he would ever come to peace.
In this early part of the chapter, SRD quite eloquently describes the grief that Linden is feeling.
In silence she bowed over his body. Her eyes streamed at the beauty of what he had become.
She had lost him at last.
She could not look up at him. His dead face was all that remained to her, all that held her together: if she raised her head to his unbearable beauty, she would be lost as well.
And yet, though she has endured so much, her work is not over. Her great task has not even yet begun. And Covenant reminds her of this.
"I'm sorry."..."I didn't know what else to do. I had to stop him."
Now it's your turn. Pick up the ring."
The white gold. Since the beginning the Elohim have continually asserted that Linden should have it, not Covenant. Now, the ring has come to her as a gift, freely given. Yet she doesn't yet understand why she needs it.
I don't need to. You've already done it.
I find it odd at this point that as Covenant tries to persuade Linden, he says that she has to heal the Land because he can't do it as he is dead. He may just be trying to be concise, but he doesn't seem to recognise the fact that healing the Land was never his job in the first place.
"I can't do it myself. I don't have your hands - can't touch that kind of power any more. I'm not physically alive."
Covenant has defeated the Despiser twice, but he has never shown, and SRD has never even hinted, that he could heal the Land. It's not part of who he is. That is why Linden was chosen.
"All I did was stop him. I haven't healed anything. The Sunbane is still there. It has a life of its own. And the Earthpower's been too badly corrupted. It can't recover by itself."
Covenant spends most of the first third of the chapter explaining that Foul's defeat doesn't automatically mean the defeat of the Sunbane, and tryng to convince Linden to pick up the ring.

And she does, despite the pain that she is feeling...
She had lost him. Whatever happened now, she had lost him absolutely.
...because of who he is to her, and because of her love for him.
Yet she did not refuse him. She had sworn that she would put a stop to the Sunbane. And her love for him would not let her go. She had failed at everything else.
But she would not fail in this. Not here, at the last. Or would she?
Avaunt, shade! Your work is done. Urge me no more dismay!
And Covenant is gone, dismissed with a simple command. Like he told Linden, Foul could have done the same thing had he not been so insane with longing.

Suddenly, Vain and Findail struggle their way into the room, pitting their very essences against each other for one simple purpose: the ring.
Chosen withhold! Do not dare the ring!
He has compelled me to preserve him! But he must not be suffered! Chosen, withhold!
We know that the Elohim have always wanted the ring for their own, but Findail also desires to claim the ring for the simple reason that it will mean his end if Linden takes it for herself.

It is at this point that Linden makes an effort to retrieve the ring, if for no other reason than to prevent Findail from getting it. Even though his grip is unbreakable, Vain cannot hold him back. However, she has waited to long. Lord Foul, her summoner, is as god as dead, and with his passing her summons ends.

And now the power that is drawing her back to her own world has grown so strong that she cannot fight its claim on her. Findail, Vain, Covenant’s dead body, the walls of Kiril Threndor – they are all too much for her now, all far more real than she is. She has lost the ring.
She tried to cry out. But she was too insubstantial to make any sound which Mount Thunder might have heard.

Yet she was answered. When she believed that she had wasted all hope, she was answered.
His bubbling exuberance, her iron beauty. They are brave beyond reckoning. They are Giants. The First of the Search and her husband. Gossamer Glowlimn and Pitchwife. They have given their strength and support and love to the Earthfriend and the Chosen since the day they meet in the Sarangrave, beset by skest. And now, bleeding and bruised and broken and beyond where they ever thought the end of themselves was, they remind Linden of who she is.
Findail was scarcely a step from the ring. Vain could not hold him back.

But the Appointed did not reach it.

Linden grasped Covenant’s wedding band with the thin remains of her health-sense, drew fire spouting like an affirmation out of the metal. It was her ring now, granted to her in love and necessity; and the first touch of its flame restored her with a shock at once exquisitely painful and glad, ferocious and blessed. Suddenly, she was as real as the stone and the light, as substantial as Findail’s frenzy, Vain’s intransigence, the Giant’s courage. The pressure thrusting her out of existence did not subside; but now she was a match for it. Her lungs took and released the sulphur-tinged air as if she had a right to it.

With white fire, she repelled the Elohim. Then, as kindly as if her were alive, she slid her legs from under Covenant’s head.

Leaving him alone there, she went to take the ring.
Now ring-wielder and Sun-Sage are one, and the fears of the Elohim should be dispelled. However, The Appointed and the Demondim-spawn demand Linden’s immediate attention.

Although she knows intuitively that Vain has all but reached his secret purpose, the only sure thing here is Findail’s fear. In this, SRD finally gives him dignity. The Appointed has been one of the most unlovable characters of the whole chronicles, yet at the end SRD shows us that all his actions were born out of fear – not for the Earth or the Elohim – but for himself. The selfishness, and humanity, of this, makes Findail more understandable.
”I am Elohim. Kastenessen cursed me with death – but I am not made for death. I must not die”
And Vain’s reply was as surprising for me as it was for Linden.
”You will not die.”…”It is not death. It is purpose. We will redeem the Earth from corruption.”
And now the gift of the Pure One to Thomas Covenant finally takes the last step to fulfilling his purpose.
”Sun-Sage, you must embrace us.”
Why should she do as he says? Vain has never shown himself to care about anything that she has cared for. He saved Covenant once, because he was commanded to, and Linden once, for reasons that she has never been able to figure out.

Yet, she decides that she does trust him for four reasons:

1 – He had been forgiven to Covenant by Foamfollower. In this, Linden lets go of her animosity towards Covenant’s Dead, having already admitted to herself that there is no reason why Kevin Landwaster should be more trustworthy than them or Covenant.

2 – He had bowed to her once. My guess is that because of this Linden believes that Vain’s purpose will serve her in some way.

3 – He had saved her life. This suggests that Vain’s purpose would fail without Linden.

4 – He had met with anger the warping of his makers. This is the most interesting of all Linden’s reasons, and I believe that this is the key reason she choose to trust Vain. In a sense, Linden’s ‘makers’, her parents, had also been warped by Despite. Despair and self-hatred, Foul’s main weapons, were well known in Avery household. In the past Linden has tried to hide from her parent’s legacy, pretending it never happened and that it did not manifest itself in her heart as lust for power. Now however, with Covenant’s help, she has accepted her parent’s legacy, her own blackness, and decided that it does not prevent her from making choices that count. In this way she has ‘met with anger the warping of her makers’ and this allows her to understand why Vain did what he did, which enables her to trust him.
When she put around his neck and Findail’s, the Eohim flinched. But his people had Appointed him to this peril and their will held. At the last instant, he raised his head to meet his own personal Wurd.
As Findail ends his existence with more dignity that his people have ever shown before, a ‘staggering concussion of power’ is directed at him, and at Vain, I Linden’s arms.

Wild magic graven in every rock,
Contained for white gold to unleash or control-
Gold, rare metal, not born of the Land,
Nor ruled, limited, subdued
By the Law with which the Land was created-
And white – white gold-
Because white is the hue of bone:
Structure of flesh,
Discipline of life.

Findail’s fluid Earthpower. Vain’s hard, perfect structure. And between them, the old definition forged into the heels of the Staff of Law.
However, by themselves they are not enough. Linden understands this. If the Staff of Law is to be created anew, that Law has to be given a purpose. But neither Vain’s perfection nor Findail’s essence can provide this. The ring supplies the power to transform the two; the ring-wielder must make the transformation count.
She gave the best answer she had. Fear and distrust and anger she set aside: they had no place here. Exalted by white fire, she shone forth her passion for health and healing, her Land-born percipience, the love she had learned for Andelain and Earthpower. By herself, she chose the meaning she desired and made it true.

In her hands, the new Staff began to live.
And now, Linden knows what she must do with the Staff, though the idea is horrific.
But she had already borne so much, and it would all be rendered meaningless if she faltered now. She did not have to fail. This is why she had been chosen. Because she was fit to fulfil Covenant’s last appeal. It was too much – and yet it was hardly enough to repay her debts. Why should she fail? The mere thought that she would have to let the Sunbane touch her and touch her made her guts writhe, sent nausea beating down her veins. Horror raised mute cries of protest. In a sense, she would have to become the Land – to expose herself as fully as the Land to the Sunbane’s desecration. It would be like being locked again in the attic with her dying father while dark glee came hosting against her – like enduring again her mother’s abject blame until she was driven to point of murder. But she had survived those things .She had found her way through them to a life worthy of more respect than she had ever given it. And the old man whose life she had saved on Haven Farm had given her a promise to sustain her.

Ah, my daughter, do not fear. You will not fail, however he may assail you. There is also love in the world.
There is one last thing that Linden needs to do though. To gain strength, and to comfort herself one last time, she turns to Pitchwife and the First and heals them. She soothes the hurt and weariness and aches and pains from their muscles. She fixes Pitchwife’s lungs, restoring his breathing. And then, for reasons that are at the same time blatantly obvious and totally beyond my comprehension, she straightens his back, restructuring his spine so that he stands as straight as any other Giant.

And then she goes out to face the Sunbane, where a fertile sun has just risen over the Land.
And beyond this fertility lurked rain and pestilence and desert in erratic sequence, waiting to repeat themselves over and over again, always harder and faster, until the foundations of the Land crumbled.
And what can Linden do? With all the might she has, she may as well be as helpless as she was at the beginning of The Wounded Land, since she has no obvious opponent, nothing to target, nothing to aim her phenomenal powers at.
That was the truth of the Sunbane. It could never be staunched. She was a fool to make the attempt.
Her enemy isn’t a person or a creature. It is the sickness with which Foul has infected the Land, in the same way that he infected Dead Elena at the Colossus of the Fall. She cannot hurt it, or injure it, or cause it pain or harm. So she doesn’t try. Instead, Linden Avery allows the Sunbane to enter the innermost parts of her soul. She takes the Lands sickness upon herself, following both Covenant’s example and Brinn’s.
With white fire she absorbed the Land’s corruption.
Fertility, rain, desert and pestilence. The phases of the Earth’s blight. Linden accepts them, suffers them, heals them, and emits them back over the Land like a refreshing mist.
Her spirit became the medicament that cured. She was the Sun-Sage, the Healer, Linden Avery the Chosen, altering the Sunbane with her own life.

It fired green at hr like the sickness of emeralds. But she understood intimately the natural growth and decay of plants. They found their Law in her, their lush or hardy order, their native abundance or rarity; and then the green was gone.

Blue volleyed thunderously at her head and then lost the Land as she accepted every drop of water and flash of violence.

The brown of deserts came blistering around her, scorched her skin. But she knew the necessity of heat – and the restriction of climate. She felt in her bones the rhythm of rise and fall, the strict and vital alteration of seasons, summer and winter. The desert fire was cooled to a caress by the Staff and emitted gently outward again.

And last, the red of pestilence, as scarlet as disease, as stark as adders: it swarmed against her like a world full of bees, shot streaks of blood across her vision. In spite of herself, she was fading, could not keep from being hurt. But even pestilence was only a distortion of the truth. It had its clear place and purpose. When it was reduced, it fit within the new Law she set forth.

Sun-Sage and ring-wielder, she restored the Earthpower and released it over the wracked body of the Land.
Though she has no strength let to restore the flora and fauna lost over the long years of the Sunbane’s dominion, Linden knows that she has done enough. From the peak of Gravin Threndor she says a word of farewell to Sunder and Hollian in Andelain and then returns to the Giants in the cavern of Kiril Threndor where the Unbeliever and the Despiser met their respective dooms.

And though she has faded beyond their physical sight, she retains enough to place the knowledge of what she has achieved in their minds.
”Linden Avery! Have I not said you are well Chosen?”
Linden waits long enough to see the First pick up the Staff of Law and promise to deliver it to Sunder and Hollian. And then she lets go.
Pitchwife laughed and cried and kissed her. Then he bent, lifted Covenant into his arms. His back was strong and straight. Together, he and the First left Kiril Threndor. She strode like a Swordmain, ready for the world. But he moved at her side with a gay hop and caper, as if he were dancing.
Then the wind took her, and she felt herself go out.

Out into the dark.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She was the Sun-Sage, the Healer, Linden Avery the Chosen, altering the Sunbane with her own life. What else is there to say of Linden but that which Mhoram told her in Andelain.
“…You are worthy of him…”
I hope I didn’t quote too much, but this chapter is once of the greatest SRD has written in my opinion, and sometimes his words are the only ones that do Covenant and Linden justice.

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Sterling work you've done here, VS!
The ring supplies the power to transform the two; the ring-wielder must make the transformation count.
At last, Vain's purpose is revealed - but anyone with a eye out for the obvious knew what that would be.
There is one last thing that Linden needs to do though. To gain strength, and to comfort herself one last time, she turns to Pitchwife and the First and heals them. She soothes the hurt and weariness and aches and pains from their muscles. She fixes Pitchwife’s lungs, restoring his breathing. And then, for reasons that are at the same time blatantly obvious and totally beyond my comprehension, she straightens his back, restructuring his spine so that he stands as straight as any other Giant.
If Linden had not healed Pitchwife, I would have strangled her. This is one of the most special moments in the entire Chronicles.
His back was strong and straight.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

That one act made me love Linden all the more, and while I can understand why she might do it, I don't get the reason given, "so she could trust herself later...".

What does that mean?

Sum sui generis
Vs

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

An eloquent summary, VS! Nah, you didn't quote too much. Now where's that Quote King dude? ;)
so she could trust herself later...
I took that to mean she wanted to test her healing power on Pitchwife first, to make sure she knew what she was doing before attempting a mass-scale healing of the Land. In other words, Pitchwife was her guinea pig. :)

I totally agree that this is one of SRD's greatest chapters. All the things that were held against Linden are forgiven here (by most people). When I first read this all those years ago, I think I might have been in tears. I was so proud of Linden. For me, Linden's healing of the Land was the crowning moment of the entire Second Chronicles (which I guess logically and emotionally makes sense). It was like a ray of light shining hope and peace onto the world--both the world of the Land and the "real" world. Linden's victory over the Sunbane was as great as Covenant's victory over the Despiser. One wasn't greater than the other. It just takes two to tango. 8)
Last edited by matrixman on Thu Nov 25, 2004 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Ah, good point. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs

srtrout
Woodhelvennin

Post by srtrout »

I disagree with the notion that Pitchwife was a "guinea pig". I took the idea of "trusting herself later" to refer to Linden's need to keep her compassion for individuals ahead of her need for control and of being a "hero". If she hadn't paused to care about her companions in her rush to "save the world", she might have not been able to trust her motives. This was a woman who deeply feared possessing people and thus had distrusted her motives for most of her life.

In contrast to some of you, it troubled me that Linden healed Pitchwife. The Elohim had offered this to The First and she had declined the opportunity; for if he was healed he would no longer be the Pitchwife she loved. So, what was she doing here healing him without even his consent? Do you think there could have been marital problems later as Pitchwife and Glossy worked out the changed dynamics of their relationship now that he was a more typical male?

A minor point, though, and I too loved this chapter, just loved seeing the Land restored and evil defeated.

srtrout
"Heck with the Illearth war, Hile; let's just go fishing!"
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

srtrout wrote:I disagree with the notion that Pitchwife was a "guinea pig". I took the idea of "trusting herself later" to refer to Linden's need to keep her compassion for individuals ahead of her need for control and of being a "hero". If she hadn't paused to care about her companions in her rush to "save the world", she might have not been able to trust her motives. This was a woman who deeply feared possessing people and thus had distrusted her motives for most of her life.
I hadn't considered the situation in that light before, but your interpretation makes a lot of sense, srtrout. 8) Thanks for providing an alternate perspective. Sorry if I came out sounding too glib about Pitchwife being a "guinea pig." However, I still stand by my view (though maybe shakily now) that he was a test run for Linden's powers. She wanted to be certain that her power to heal was true and sure, that it wasn't flawed. If she couldn't confidently and correctly heal something as relatively "minor" as Pitchwife's deformity with her great power, then how could she expect to heal a major deformity of nature like the Sunbane without potentially making an even bigger mess of things? I know, this sounds bad on my part. It seems like I'm saying Pitchwife's health isn't as important as the Land's health--that Linden can just mess around with his vitals without consequence, but that's not the case. After all, Linden did heal him first, didn't she? Obviously, his health was very important to her, which was why he was first in line. I suppose the case could be made that if Linden had simply wanted to test her power, she could have elected to simply heal the First's wounds instead of Pitchwife's spine. But that would have been emotionally unsatisfying and it would have made Linden look really bad: sure, she heals some superficial flesh wounds on the First...meanwhile, totally ignoring a Giant with a crippled spine standing right next to her. 8O
srtrout wrote:In contrast to some of you, it troubled me that Linden healed Pitchwife. The Elohim had offered this to The First and she had declined the opportunity; for if he was healed he would no longer be the Pitchwife she loved. So, what was she doing here healing him without even his consent?
I have to disagree concerning the Elohim. I re-read the parts in The One Tree (in Chapter 11) where Pitchwife and the First recounted to Linden their separate examinations by the Elohim: neither of them said anything about the Elohim actually offering to heal Pitchwife. The Elohim were testing their reactions to a "perfect" Pitchwife, yes, but is that to be construed that they were truly offering to heal him?

As for Linden healing Pitchwife without his consent, well, I suppose you could get into the tricky politics of the doctor-patient relationship if you wanted to. Perhaps duchess or dlbpharmd are more qualified to debate this point. My view is that Pitchwife would have been too modest to ask Linden to heal him anyway. And it would have been downright silly for Linden, in all her glorious power, to have just healed Pitchwife's flesh wounds from battle but completely overlook his spine. Again it would have made Linden look really bad. Maybe it's a case of damned if she did, damned if she didn't. If she heals Pitchwife, she's violating his rights; if she doesn't heal him, she's a cold woman with no compassion in her soul.
srtrout wrote:Do you think there could have been marital problems later as Pitchwife and Glossy worked out the changed dynamics of their relationship now that he was a more typical male?
Uh...no. :)
malinda_maloney
Stonedownor

Post by malinda_maloney »

I think both of them have changed enough that that would be impossible.

If the Elohim examination had resulted in the First asking for him to be healed, I think we would see a difference. First off, she would have failed her examination. But putting that aside, the Elohim were constantly losing the Giants trust... but Linden had their complete trust, and, more importantly were their friend.

Go Sunder and Hollian!

I can just about imagine the Land reaching out and giving Linden a hug right now. Just about.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

If I remember correectly the First saw right through the "Elohim Pitchwife" because of the love she shared with him.

There might have been an implied offer or the Elohim wanted to see what the Firsts response would have been to reveal her character (but I think it was said that such examinations were not like this with Giants in the past)

So I think Linden FREELY healing Pitchwife at no cost to anyone is a gift that would have been accepted by all.

And although this was a great chapter I have to go with the previous one as being the best, in my humble Linden hating opinion. :lol:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Each to their own. Besides, the previous chapter is a great Linden chapter too, as it is where she puts her love for TC before everything else, even the fate of the Land, and is vindicated by that decision.
And who was she to believe him wrong? Is doubt was necessary, why should it be doubt of him rather than of herself? Kevin Landwaster had warned her, and she had felt his honesty. But perhaps after all he did not understand, was blinded by the consequences of his own despair. And Covenant remained before her in sunshine and flowers as if the beauty of Andelain were the ground on which he took his stand. His darkness was as lonely as hers. But hers was like the lightless cunning and violence of the Wightwarrens; his resembled the heart of the true night, where the Sunbane never shone.

Yes, she said again.
Sum sui generis
Vs

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

variol son wrote:Each to their own. Besides, the previous chapter is a great Linden chapter too, as it is where she puts her love for TC before everything else, even the fate of the Land, and is vindicated by that decision.
Linden was even in the previous chapter?
;)
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Yup. She did the most important thing in the whole chapter. She let Covenant give up the ring.

Remember HLT, Linden is great for the same reason's that Covenant is great; not for who he was but for who he became. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs

Return to “2nd Chronicles”