I Am Going To Wait ...

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

I Am Going To Wait ...

Post by Metal-Demon »

I bought "A Game Of Thrones" when it was first released here in Canada years ago, but have never got around to reading it (since my "To Read" Pile continues to surpass my efforts and ability to keep up with it) ... and having read the countless glowing reviews, I continued to pick up the other books in the series when they too came out ... but I think I am going to wait until the epic is complete before diving in.

Is this something you have ever done with a series?
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I have thought about it, but you'll be waiting a while for the entire Song of Ice and Fire.

:D

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

That's alright ... I'm doing the same with Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series.

Ya ... I know I'm an idiot, I just have so much reading to get thru first!
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

You know, you'd never be saying that if you'd read even part of A Game of Thrones, heh.

For the opposite reason, you'd never be saying that if you'd read much of the Sword of Truth series. Grrr.
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Not a fan of the Sword of Truth series I take it?
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I liked it at first. But the further I got into it, the less able I was to ignore the glaring inconsistencies (between books - internal consistency for each book is okay), the bad writing, and Goodkind's ranting disguised as characters' dialogue.
Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the story, it's just that now I've noticed these things I can't bring myself to read the novels again (you notice it a lot less when you're absorbed in a new story, but once you know what happens, you can't ignore it).
And you can't ignore that a large number of ideas in the first few books was, ahem, 'borrowed' from the Wheel of Time.

I will say this much - Faith of the Fallen was a good book. But for me it wasn't enough to make up for the rest.
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Interesting ... I'll have to keep that in mind when I get around to reading them. Thank-you for your thoughts!
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Metal-Demon wrote:Not a fan of the Sword of Truth series I take it?
"Not a fan" is an understatement in my case....

I just think Goodkind is a horrible writer in general. The Sword of Truth series might be decent if Goodkind's style wasn't so painfully bad. I remember reading a review on Amazon years ago of "Wizard's First Rule" where someone compared the plot to that of a bad Nintendo game. :P

To say nothing of the fact that he seems to have ripped off a lot of ideas from Wheel of Time. This was particularly evident in Stone of Tears (I made it up to Temple of the Winds before I gave up on Goodkind).

If I were you, I'd run far far away from Sword of Truth and get cracking on Song of Ice and Fire. Despite the fact that Martin needs to hurry up and finish "A Feast For Crows", the series so far is TOO good not to start reading it now.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Too slow, Encryptic. Metal-demon posted that he'd finished Sword of Truth the other day. And he liked it.
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Murrin wrote:Too slow, Encryptic. Metal-demon posted that he'd finished Sword of Truth the other day. And he liked it.
8O

*runs away screaming*

:P
BT Shire
Woodhelvennin

Post by BT Shire »

sword of truth = CRAP

That said, I actually liked Stone of Tears. I recognize that it was a complete rip-off of Wheel of Time, but I think that's WHY I liked it. :?
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Murrin wrote:Too slow, Encryptic. Metal-demon posted that he'd finished Sword of Truth the other day. And he liked it.
Where the Hell did I ever say that??? I haven't even started the damn series ... you must be mistaken.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Wha? Who was it posted few weeks back about it, then? Gah, I'll have to look. Sorry.

Edit - it was SoulBiter. Curse you, short-term memory!
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Metal-Demon wrote:
Where the Hell did I ever say that??? I haven't even started the damn series ... you must be mistaken.
There is still hope for you, young Padawan. ;)
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

What's a "padawan"??

I hope it's not an insult of some sort. :?
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Metal-Demon wrote:What's a "padawan"??

I hope it's not an insult of some sort. :?
LOL....I motion to have your geek card revoked. ;)

It's a Star Wars reference, for what it's worth. Qui-Gonn refers to Obi-Wan as his "padawan" (student or protege would be the closest equivalent in English) in Episode I, if I recall correctly.
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

*hands over Geek ID

Sorry 'bout that ... I forgot to study the Star Wars section of the Geek Code. :cry:

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”