It's Terry Goodkind

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

It's Terry Goodkind

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Yeah, I broke down and made a Terry Goofer - I mean, Terry Goodkind forum. Anyone out there want to talk about this guy? Because I'm gonna feel really silly if you don't.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

There are worse writers out there, but...

I dunno, First Rule was decent. He writes well, but... well, he writes fantasy fluff. You can't exactly blame a guy for making a living writing amusing stories, though I suppose you can blame him for dragging it out. That, and the last couple of books have been really preachy. I kind of like it when an author tries to make a point, but he's no Vonnegut and way too heavy handed. That, and I disagree with his points in some ways.

But have any of you looked at his picture on the back cover? It is to laugh. I can just see him saying to the photographer, "Wait, wait. The ponytail has to be draped just so."
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

He kinda goes for the Hells Angels look .. the biker boy thing goin'!

Yeah I agree he writes well enough .. but as much as I didnt mind his characters I always wished Goodkind would come up with something better than .. Dick and Jane for names ;)

or their equivalents ;) He introduces a fantasy world which is quite intriguing .. and then gives them regular names! That griped me right through WFR ..

it kinda lost my interest by the 4th book i think it was ..

And he's got quite the dark side has Goodkind .. but thats no giant flaw! .. just got a bit yukky in spots!
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I think a very good arguement could be made that he no longer is writing fantasy, but writing political fables. Rather than the dragons he began with, he is now featuring pet goats. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Love as thou wilt.

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

He started off with okay story and bad writing, now he's a better writer, but he fills his books with all the political stuff - and he's not so good with dialogue (everyone seems far too knowledgable and eloquent at times) or consistency, either.
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

As I mentioned in another thread, I have bought all of the books in The Sword Of Truth series ... but haven't read them yet (waiting for the series to conclude)

Now I find out that most of you think he's a horrible author!

For the love of fantasy literature ... what have I done?? :oops:
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
seven reds, seven blacks
Servant of the Land

Post by seven reds, seven blacks »

somewhere i read that Goodking has sort of a writing disability. considering that, i think "Wizards First Rule" is an interesting novel. he might have some strange ideological views, though.
seven reds, seven blacks
Servant of the Land

Post by seven reds, seven blacks »

heh, thats Goodkind of course :D
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

*grin* yeah...his books are essentially political podiums (yes, we GET it, Terry, communism is bad)...he's got some good story lines, and I just have to love Zed....but he definitely needs to stop preaching *rueful grin*
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Okay ... tell me straight, I can take it: am I gonna regret reading the Sword of Truth series?
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
Edge
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edge »

Metal-Demon wrote:Okay ... tell me straight, I can take it: am I gonna regret reading the Sword of Truth series?
Yes.
Check out my digital art at www.brian.co.za
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

OH NO!!! :oops:

Aw ... Hellfire! :cry:
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

If you're waiting for the series to conclude, you might be in for a bit of a wait, too. I have heard that he said in an interview that he'd keep writing 'em as long as people keep buying 'em. :lol:

The main thing is -- just don't expect it to be fantasy stories after the first couple of books. Think of it more in terms of political fables like Animal Farm, but with S&M scenes with hot girls in skin tight red leather. :P

In all seriousness, Pillars of Creation might be the worst book I have ever read. I finished it with something akin to a sense of wonder that anything could be that bad! 8O Though I have not read Newcomb's The Fifth Sorceress, which is supposedly the worst fantasy book ever written, so there is worse out there!

Goodkind also seems to have something about chickens. One of the books had evil beings in the shape of chickens, and the aforementioned Pillars of Creation also featured a really twisted scene with a psycopathic serial murderer/rapist and -- you guessed it -- a chicken.
Love as thou wilt.

Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

You know something ... I have Newcomb's The Fifth Sorceress (and it's follow-up book) in my "To Read Pile" as well!

Damn it! What the Hell am I doing????
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

I don't regret reading Goodkind...I have a few issues with his writing style...but there are some loveable parts.
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Iryssa ... are you telling me that there is indeed hope, and that all is not lost? :(
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

As to the series' end, I think I remember reading that Goodkind was planning to write two (three?) 'trilogies' to end the series.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Metal-Demon wrote:Iryssa ... are you telling me that there is indeed hope, and that all is not lost? :(
Nope, she's wrong. I can state in fact that indeed there is no hope. And that everything is in fact lost. You might as well end your life because of it.

;) :D
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Umm ... can I end my life later? I have a bunch of stuff I need to do first, roughly 50 or 60 years worth.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

Metal-Demon wrote:Umm ... can I end my life later? I have a bunch of stuff I need to do first, roughly 50 or 60 years worth.
LOL!

ok... I'll let you live...

For now... :shifty:

Return to “General Literature Discussion”