The Bonehunters [Spoilers]

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I'll be moving right to RG, then ToH the day it comes out. Heh. I really want to read the first three again. I truly love the amount of time we get with all the characters. And the overall story!! I've never read anything close this. It's so long, but it is impossible to put down, and has such depth! These huge books are great! Still, by far, the best parts are Duiker, Coltaine, Bult, and the Chain of Dogs, and Itkovian, Capustan, the Seguleh, and, of course, a certain T'lan Imass. As well as a couple of wolves taking a throne, the horrors of the Pannion Domin, and on and on and on... :lol:

Back to BH. :lol: I see that at least Cutter and Scillara will likely survive, although I haven't read up to where (I assume) they do. But yeah, I haven't read anything yet to suggest Heboric will continue his journey. Still, I doubt his story's done.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Book 4 gets off to kind of a jolting start. The first chapter was pretty slow for me, but I managed to get through it last night. Sometimes I feel like those chicks from Fantasy Bedtime Hour when I'm reading these books, and last night was a perfect example. Can't wait til it gets back to the main characters. Speaking of which, I'd kill to see FBH read Gardens of the Moon.
Roach trotted over to sniff at the gleaming phlegm, then licked it up.

The Bonehunters by Steven Erikson
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

:haha: An excellent idea! I'm pm'ing Jenn. We need to her onboard!

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
Holsety
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Holsety »

aliantha wrote::haha: An excellent idea! I'm pm'ing Jenn. We need to her onboard!
I want to see SE on as an expert...
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

He could play Fisher.
"You have no understanding of what his title of Sword signifies - he is without equal in this world." -- K'rul
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

So, I was at B&N today and saw that the mass-market paperback of Bonehunters had come out. That sumbitch is 1,200 pages long!! It's 160 pages longer than HoC, which is hard to believe, if you ask me. My hardback is just under 800 pages; I had no idea this book was so long.

I'm about 180 pages out from the end. Things have picked up, but for the life of me, I can't remember who the godess was that cured Fiddler. Was it the Goddess of Dreams? Soliel? Some other freak? Or did they not tell us? It's bugging me.

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

If you mean healed him from the injuries at Y'Ghatan, I guess it was the honey.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

I forgot about the honey. Well, as you'll find out, some mystery goddess (at least she's a mystery to me) becomes a major plot-point in book 4. I feel like I must've missed or forgotten something, but maybe Erikson hasn't revealed who she is yet.

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I'm getting there. I'm into book 4, but haven't run across that yet.

And btw, Ganoes Paran - Godslayer!! Holy crap! What an amazing thing to do! Damn!!

But if I was him, I'd be preparing to die. Won't the rest of the gods be after him now? Can't have mortals killing gods.
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Ah, I see the part about healing. That's a mystery to me, too. No idea.
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Onos T'oolan wrote:Ah, I see the part about healing. That's a mystery to me, too. No idea.
I'm starting to think it's T'Amber. Got 60 pages to go, so I should know pretty soon!

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

I'm less than a hundred pages, too. I tell you, this is infuriating!! Who's on whose side?? Who is betraying whom?? I want to reach into the book and strangle a few people!!

But that healing...
Spoiler
I really don't remember anybody healing Fid at any point. Just the honey. And I thought they were talking about the Eres who is having Trull's child and who is sort of joined with Bottle when he said that to Fiddler. Murrin? Will this make sense to us, or is this a mistake on SE's part??
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I'm not sure what you're talking about, so I can't really say anything on the subject. :lol:
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Heh.
Spoiler
-Corabb smears that wacky honey on an unconscious Fiddler's burns and wounds under Y'Ghatan. Like the others, Fiddler is healed.

-After Y'Ghatan, Bottle is visited by the Eres who is carrying Trull's child.

-Bottle knows a whooooole lot about the dolls Quick is trying to use to figure things out. Quick realizes that the Eres is "with [Bottle]." Not possession, I don't imagine. More like along for the ride, adding to Bottle's strength/abilities?

-The Edur fleet is using their nasty magic to attack the fleet. Quick starts casting what we learn is an illusion to scare the Edur away. Bottle/Eres help him, apparently turning his illusion real. Or something like that. After, when Fiddler tells Bottle he's... uh... made a mess of his pants, Bottle explains that the Eres, to put it politely, brings him to orgasm "when she gets the chance."

-Page 614 of my 794-page book:
"What about Balm?"
"He's Dal Honese."
"I know that, idiot."
"Well, his skin's crawling, is my guess."
"So's mine, Bottle."
Ah, that explains it, then. "She's with us, now. Again, I mean."
"She?"
"You know who."
"The one who plays with your-"
"The one who also healed you, Sergeant."

But as far as I remember, the only healing Fiddler had had was the honey healing his burns and wounds under Y'Ghatan. I don't remember any connection between the Eres and the honey. I don't remember the Eres healing Fiddler at any other time. I don't remember anybody healing Fiddler at any other time in BH. You got anything? :D
Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

OK, I'm finally done. A few things...
Spoiler
I have absolutely no idea what Tayschrenn's role was. Not a clue.

And how the hell did the Eres'al get so powerful??? Damn!!! Almost a cheat, having her pop up everywhere and save the day.

DAMN that Trull can fight!!! I never expected him to stand up to Icarium like that!!! Holy crap!
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

Yeah, I just finished it. I gotta say, it sort of ended with a thud for me. I'm not sure what the hell was going on. I loved the first 3 books, but book 4 just came out of nowhere. It was weird that Erikson dropped half of the plotlines from books 1-3 in book 4, except for the brief updates on Cutter's group and Karsa right at the end. Paran just disappeared. The book was pretty disjointed. It wasn't as tight as the any of the previous 4 (DG-MT), that's for sure. I'm not sure what to think of the D'rek storyline. My first thought at the start of the books was "D'rek? Are you f'ing kidding me? He named a god D'rek? WTF?" I'm still thinking the same thing.

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

Yeah, I don't get the whole D'rek part of the book. In HoC we learned that that's where Tayschrenn came from. I assumed it was Tayschrenn who got Hellian in touble, but no big deal it being Banaschar. Still, what the hell was it all about, and what was Tayschrenn's role in the book???
Farm Ur-Ted
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Farm Ur-Ted »

No clue. The only thing that I got out of the ending was I finally figured out why Hellian was so afraid of spiders. Otherwise, either it all went over my head, or there just wasn't much to the ending. There was no chill scene at the end, like in HoC when Tavore killed her sister, or when the dead Fist made his final charge (which was awesome). Oh, well, on to the next one in a few weeks.

Onos T'oolan
First Sword

Post by Onos T'oolan »

It does seem more of a setup than anything else. We know who is on whose side. We know where Laseen stands on things. (Bitch.) Players have been put in specific places. (Withal??? That surprised me! :lol:)

But what's with the Grey Swords?? Are they the Grey Swords?? They sure seem to be the Destriant, Shield Anvil, and Mortal Sword of the wolves. I could see there having been people in another part of the world who have an awesome fleet, who turn to worshipping the wolves. But what happened to Toc/Anaster, Captain Norul, and Recruit Velbara?

And what do you mean "in a few weeks"?!?!?!!!!! I'll be done with RG before that!! Now who's dragging!! ;) :lol:
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

On the Grey Swords/Grey Helms: note the genders. ;)

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”