League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Look! Up in the sky! *To be continued...* (This story continued in KW Comics #263)

Moderators: dANdeLION, aTOMiC, sgt.null

Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Post by Zahir »

I recently read through both graphic novels and once again my reaction was a quiet disgust at the movie that was made of it.

For those of you who might have only seen the film, Mina Murray is not a vampire, and she is in fact the leader of the League. Neither Dorian Gray nor Tom Sawyer have anything to do with the plot, but Fu Manchu certainly does. Among others, we learn that Plantagenet Palliser is Prime Minister of England, that C.Auguste Dupin is working for the Surete in Paris, and that a previous League including the Scarlett Pimpernel as well as Fanny Hill!

The second volume certainly caught me by surprise. For one thing, since we knew it was going to be a take-off of H.G.Wells' War of the Worlds, the idea of Martians invading England didn't surprise me. But that the story began on Mars, with John Carter and others driving the "Mollusks" off their world--that was simply delightful! This one didn't have quite as many--or at least as obvious--in jokes as the first. However, there is an almanac at the end with more odd little references than you can shake a stick at! Like the European kingdom of Ruritania, the many odd houses radiating gothic atmosphere in New England (Hill House, the Belasco House, the whole town of Arkham...), the abandoned castle of the Snow Queen in Scandanavia, and references to a great meeting of Pirates (Clegg, John Silver, Captains Bood and Hook, etc.) almost two centuries earlier. And then there was the tragic tale of the girl known only as "A.L." who vanished through a hole in the ground then again through a mirror.

I really, really enjoyed this!
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Sounds good. I found the film appalling in its own right, and since I'm a stickler for accuracy, I would probably have been still more disgusted had I read the graphic novels. I may see if I can pick them up somewhere, since they sound interesting.
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

by all means find the graphic novel. my friend Jess Nevins also wrote a companion piece the first graphic novel, with Moore's blessing. i'll try to find it tomorrow.
Metal-Demon
Giantfriend

Post by Metal-Demon »

Yeah ... the comics are indeed wonderful. I bought the individual issues when they were first written, then when the movie was released I had heard so many bad reviews that I didn't bother going to see it.
-- I've learnt everything I need to know about life just by listening to RUSH --
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

It was utterly atrocious. You made the right decision.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Bah.
Last edited by I'm Murrin on Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Okay, first of all, movies belong in the "Flicks" forum. And second of all, if all you're going to do is whine about a perfectly entertaining film because you personally don't like it, well, find a place where I'm not modding, because I'm gonna lock or delete the topic (Or move it to Flicks, and lock or delete it there, because I'm a mod there, too!). :mrgreen:

Long story short: If you want to say some positive things about the comics, then that's fine, and I'll keep it here; but if you just want to bash the film, then it's gonna disappear.
Dandelion don't tell no lies
Dandelion will make you wise
Tell me if she laughs or cries
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

:hobbes: *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
Edinburghemma
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edinburghemma »

I love the film (happy now dAN?). Ooops I think I just lied.
The reality is in this head. Mine. I'm the projector at the planetarium, all the closed little universe visible in the circle of that stage is coming out of my mouth, eyes, and sometimes other orifices also.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I found a graphic novel for a reasonable price on Ebay. I might as well pick it up.
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

After reading through the "almanac" at the end, I find reasons to believe maybe a third graphic novel could be in the works. The clues seem to hint that Mina Murray and Allan Quartermain will be joined by the immortal/androgynous Orlando, the portly Dr. John Dolittle, and perhaps A.J.Raffles.

We can hope!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I thought that the vamp-babe was the best thing about the movie. I thought she was really pretty cool -- and now I find out that she's not really a vampire in the books? :? Am confused. :(
Love as thou wilt.

Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Nope, in the books Mina Murray is not a vampire--she's just a courageous and able woman who manages to lead a group of very disparate men in the closing years of the 19th century.

One of the most interesting scenes in Volume 2 is when Hyde is puzzled about his feelings for her, and theorizes that she is the only person who doesn't hate him. He believes maybe its because she's actually met someone worse.

And she says he's right.
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

I'm not 100% convinced the comic Mina is not a vampire; I think the marks her scarf covers implies a Vampire's assault. Anyway, I love the books and love the movie; I don't feel any great desire to prefer one over the other.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Since I disliked the film, I feel considerable desire to prefer the books.
sindatur
The Gap Into Spam

Post by sindatur »

I haven't read the Graphic Novels, but, I too enjoyed the movie.

In Bram Stoker's Dracula wasn't she turned into a vampire?
I Never Fail To Be Astounded By The Things We Do For Promises - Ronnie James Dio (All The Fools Sailed Away)

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

yes she was.

I read the comic. (I don't know the names to well) Alan, Nina (she was a vampier), Invisible Man, Nemo, Dr Jackell and Mr Hyde were the members. The only thing was that only five members of the league were present at a time (have a guess why). When I read the comic they were going to The Island of Doctor Moreau(by H.G.Wells), to stop him make his evil monsters.
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

That is not The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Dr. Moreau doesn't show up until the second volume, in which he actually helps the League. Mina is not a vampire in any of the books.

And in Dracula Mina does not become a vampire. Her friend Lucy does, and is later destroyed. Mina is assaulted, begins to change slightly (this was more pronounced in the film Bram Stoker's Dracula) but she never actually became a vampire.

In the graphic novel, Mina displays no powers or non-human characteristics at all. In fact, she's physically the weakest of the League.

Granted, Peta Wilson as a vampire rocked!
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

In the comics, Mina is obviously hiding facts about herself, which means she could be a vampire.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

The Comics are better by the sound of it.
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
dANdeLION
Lord

Post by dANdeLION »

Well, they are different. I like them both. Certainly you should at least see the movie and judge for yourself. Alan Moore is obviously a good writer, and he came up with the LXG concept, so I can understand why some AM fans don't like the fact that the movie isn't exactly like the first 6 issues of the comic. I myself am glad because I think what the movie did is unique unto itself, and this way I get an extra LXG story.
Blow away dandelion

I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Return to “dANdeLION's Comics Cave”