A Game of Thrones

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Okay I recently finished Game of Thrones and have started Clash of Kings. In general I thought this an excellent book, with the second one shaping up as equally fine.

The "world" is exceptionally rich and compelling. I find that too often writers in medeviel milieus shy away from the more brutal aspects of such. For example, rules of evidence--there were some, but few folks understood them and generally they bore zero resemblence to what we call the same. Likewise other things we take for granted--the scientific method, the ideal of racial tolerance, literacy--simply don't belong there (unless accounted for). Not so Martin. He shows all the grime and casual cruelty, the genuine danger and (usually) brutal punishments, amid sloooooow communications and desperate circumstances.

Yet at the same time I love the heightened nature of the background. Winterfell is a perfect example. Here's a huge, ancient castle built around a grove of trees! The grove is a kind of shrine, and Winterfell itself sits atop hot springs to keep it relatively warm. Underneath are thousands of years of Stark Kings. Atop is a labyrinth of towers and roofs worthy of Gormenghast. It really is a character in the story, as is the Red Keep with its secret passages and the Arryns' Eyrie far atop a mountain (its prison cells are especially vivid).

And frankly, I'm also pleased that the story itself is so very real. No one has all the answers. Figuring out who's "right" and "wrong" is nowhere near as easy as it seems at first. Plus I enjoy any story that manages to consistently surprise me without veering off into the realm of illogic and deus-ex-machina.

So I am sooooo glad the folks here convinced me to read this series!

Zahir
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

And don't forget Winterfell's world class library, and priceless artworks, dating back for thousands of years, when the Starks were Kings of the North. Winterfell is a magical place for me, probably my favorite location in all three of the books...
Love as thou wilt.

Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Yea, ivae finished AGoT and ive started ACoK.
These books are amazing.
The multlple POV are very good - did any else notice how the magor pionts
Spoiler
Battles etc - were not told from who you though they would be from ie Robb.
Whispering Wood was Cataylen and The other was Tyrion.
Spoiler
Ned! Joffery - you have made an enemy of me.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Well, get to reading because Martin just finished the fourth book and I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
The King has one more move.
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

I sent these books to Cagliostro for his birthday, because I had pushed for them so hard, I figured I should put my money where my mouth is.

And, incidentally, share a gripping yarn with an old friend!
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Bossk,

Is that picture of SRD??????????????????
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Indeed that is SRD having fun in San Fran with the Fantasy Bedtime Hour girls--he plays an SRD "expert" in Episode 27--see FBH thread in General SRD discussion 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Yes, I snooped around the Watch after seeing that pic and found the link to the episode. Wow! I couldn't believe SRD would let his hair down, as it were, like that. Good for him. He actually had fun with it.

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”