What does Orison look like?

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

What does Orison look like?

Post by Myste »

Just for danlo, here's a place for all of us MN'ers (and anyone else who's interested! ;)) to share what they think Castle Orison looks like.

If you've read the "Strongest Female Character" thread, you'll know that I'm all for Carcassonne, but some folks think differently. Share! Share! :D
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

I think it comes very close. I pictured it to be a little less 'wide' and more 'high', if you know what I mean.
I would be a very good location for a MN movie. *hopes that all lurking producers will take note*

I'll do some 'castle research' after the holidays.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

I'm not sure I agree with Carcassone. It is a large, sprawling castle, but I don't think there are any real-life examples that fit my vision of Orison as desribed by SRD. The only equivalent I can equate it to are some great paintings I have seen in Alan Lee's book "Castles". I can't think of a specific one, off-hand, but the grandeur and size of some of them is perfect. In fact, the MW painting on the cover of the first book is pretty good too!
But I can't think of any real-life examples of what is in my head.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I imagined it more like this, but a little bigger, and with less spires.

www.disneyanaexchange.com/Photobin/Con-Castle.B.jpg

Your Carcassonne looks a bit too open to me. If I remember correctly, most of Orison was indoors. There was only enough courtyard for the market thingy, so the outer walls would have been pretty close to the keep. (if it even had outer walls. I don't remember Darsint bashing through an extra wall on his way out.)
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

The outer wall was actually the wall of the building itself, IIRC. It was all enclosed apart from the courtyard/market in the center. And I believe it was described as rectangular.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

In that case I stick to my castle but without those walls and quite a bit bigger.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Looking at your pic again, I can start to see it, heh. Yeah, that works.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

That's a good pic, too. I hear what you're saying about rectangles and blasting through castle walls. I guess I just picture something a little less whimsical.

Murrin, there's an evil monkey in my room! 8O
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

What about Warwick Castle?

It has some pretty impressive angles:

It also has a very large field on the outside for the seige shots,

and a large center courtyard for the market scenes.

(Edited to point images at new web address.)
Last edited by IrrationalSanity on Fri May 13, 2005 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Oh Wow, that's awesome! :D I think you might almost have convinced me! 8)
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

I'm glad you like it. Yours is pretty neat too. It has more of a "walled city" feel, which might more closely match some people's vision of Orison. However, my guess is that most of the people who don't directly service the castle's operations live in villages outside the walls. (hence the references to bringing them in for protection).

Also, I have been to Warwick castle, and I think it is quite usable as a template. Not sure about the "secret" passages, but it is very large, and there are lots of doors the public doesn't have access to.
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

To me Warwick castle seems like it has a bit too much open space and not enough in-building space. Other than that it seems almost perfect (expet that it's got trees near it, Orison had a large clearing round it for defence).
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

That's okay. We could take those trees out pretty easily...:twisted:
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Hey, I watched the New Year fireworks at Warwick Castle!

I imagined Orison to be like a gigantic stone cottage, with the middle hollowed out to make the courtyard. The description to me was more of a fortress than a stylised castle, designed around defensive capability with little or no concession to aesthetics. I decided that it lacked the flourishes and adornments normally associated with castles (pointy spires, turrets etc). Orison may have had a number of towers (two, one at each corner I don't know), but I saw them as being relatively squat, sturdy affairs to match rather than the slender, pointy affairs of fairy tales.

I haven't been able to find something that matches my vision exactly, but the fortress in Tallinn, Estonia has the right feel.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

Today I opened my TV program guide and I saw a picture of a castle, and it IS Orison. It seems like there's a reality show taking place there at the moment, which I wasn't aware of.

That's "Burg Rapottenstein" in Austria. What do you think?

Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

It has an orisony look about it, but I can't find any other pictures to see whether it's got the right kind of spaces in it (ie mostly enclosed or whatever).

Looks promising though.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

OOO me likes da Burg Torrent!
fall far and well Pilots!
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

Is that Orison pictured in Eremis's mirrors on the front cover of "A man rides through"?

If so I don't think it quite fits what any of us imagined!

Edit: And I'm in a helpful mood so here's the picture to save you running to get your books:

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Wow Torrent, that's beautiful!

My edition doesn't have that particular illustration, Murrin, but you're right--I think that the one you give us here is too Norman-keepish. I like Torrent's example because though it lacks the sheer whimsicality of Mad King Ludwig's fairytale palaces, it's still sort of Romantic-looking (Romantic, notice, with a big R rather than a little one).

I like the walled-city effect because my first impression of Orison on reading about it was that it was more or less the biggest castle ever. But there are some gorgeous examples here so far.
Last edited by Myste on Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

Heh, looks like the similar avatars are causing more trouble than they're worth. I've looked at several posts of mine and thought they were Murrin's...

Return to “Mordant's Need”