What does Orison look like?

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Eeek! Sorry, Nathan! :oops: I never could read maps! ;)
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

yep, same as Murrin's what the heck is that supposed to be anyway? From some game?
fall far and well Pilots!
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

It's from Rome: Total war. The current state of our campaign map. In his one he's the big red one covering most of Europe and in mine I'm the big one covering most of Europe. If you watch closely you'll see that the maps change as time goes by...
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I'd put mine up, were it not merely a bit of blue covering Sicily, some of North Africa and currently getting its ass kicked in Greece. Damn armoured hoplites :-x
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

I found some more pics of Burg Rapottenstein.

www.dickemauern.de/rappott/biclam.htm

It doesn't seem big enough to be Orison though.

It's difficult to find photos of the inner areas, but if anyone wants to see/ is able to read the ground-plan(?), here it is: www.dickemauern.de/rappott/grclam.htm

Nathan,
My TMOHD edition has the Whelan cover, that's why I pictured it differently I guess. But we don't have to agree on one version anyway. Let the games continue.

Myste,
For some reason Orison (or Whelans cover art) reminded me a little of Neuschwanstein, Ludwig's most famous castle. Maybe because it seems equally chaotic. But it has become too 'disneyfied' and well-known to be Orison, I think. (I am biased because I was made to go there as a kid.) ;)
images.google.de/images?q=neuschwanstei ... ogle-Suche
Last edited by Torrent on Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

That's the cover I had in mind, Nathan.

(for some reason the link to SRD's homepage didn't work, so this is what my edition looks like)
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I've been to Neuschwanstein, too, and it just struck me as too pretty. Sleeping Beauty, yes; Master Eremis, no. It is picturesque, though. One of the few places on earth that looks exactly the same in real life as it does on postcards. I just feel like it's a little too delicate. It'd never stand up to Kragen's catapults. :D
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Vacation Inspiration?

Post by IrrationalSanity »

Hey Myste - did you see anything on your vacation that looks more like Orison to you?
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Alas, no--though I did go to a restaurant that could have been Esmerel: low and rambling and a little dark, with a very impressive wine cellar....:twisted:

And the cathedrals in both Trier and Strasbourg were hugely impressive spaces with certain details that might be appropriate to Orison, but the buildings themselves don't quite fit. I'm having pictures developed today, so maybe I'll post some of them soon.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Re: Featured Topic: What does Orison look like?

Post by MsMary »

Warwick castle is too regular looking for me. The castle is described as looking as though it started out on a plan, with willynilly irregular type additions. Also, I always pictured it as having a big open courtyard in the middle.

Carcassonne's irregularity looks right to me, but it's bigger than I imagined.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Revan01
Servant of the Land

Post by Revan01 »

i have to agree in part with malone, i always pictured it somewhat like carcossonne, though more built up and more irregular
Vector
<i>Elohim</i>

Re: Featured Topic: What does Orison look like?

Post by Vector »

Myste wrote:If you've read the "Strongest Female Character" thread, you'll know that I'm all for Carcassonne, but some folks think differently. Share! Share! :D
Funny, I saw the topic and entered the thread planning to list Carcassone, and I see that is already the first suggestion...

Though in reality, I think Orison is much more dense than Carcassone, though I cannot think of a city which matches exactly what I have in mind - Carcassone was simply the closest - with maybe Avignon being a close second, especially the old papal palace being a pretty significant structure.

Aother suggestions are Vence and the fortress at Antibes - both in France
"When you look into the abyss, the abyss looks back into you" - Nietzsche
Vector
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Vector »

Torrent wrote:That's "Burg Rapottenstein" in Austria. What do you think?

Well, that one is hitting it pretty close on the nail
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yes, looks quite a bit like what I imagine Orison to look like-just on a, somewhat, flatter surface 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Yes! Cut down some of the trees--make the approach to Orison clear to make room for Kragen's seige, and that's pretty good!

I still stand by Carcasonne, but I agree with Vector--it should be denser. And maybe there should be some Mad-King-Ludwig-esque towers here and there. I see a Photoshop project in the works, if only I could grab some time!
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

The architectural style is exactly how I imagined Orison, though I see it as one big rectangular building with slilghtly larger towers at the corners and a big courtyard in the middle.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
IrrationalSanity
The Gap Into Spam

Post by IrrationalSanity »

I just realized my old web address has gone offline, and the pix in my earlier post were no longer visible. I have adjusted the URLs, and they should be visible again soon!
- Woody -
Linden Lover and proud of it...
But I love my wife more!

"Desecration requires no knowledge. It comes freely to any willing hand." - Amok
Vector
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Vector »

IrrationalSanity wrote:I just realized my old web address has gone offline, and the pix in my earlier post were no longer visible. I have adjusted the URLs, and they should be visible again soon!
Nice, but somehow I don't see that accomodating the complexity and population of Orison.
Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Foamfollower1013 »

I think the "Burg Rapottenstein" is closest to what I pictured. Same general color and architectural style. The snow helps, too. :P

~Foamy~
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Hmm, yes, Burg Rapottenstein is pretty close, too.
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor

Return to “Mordant's Need”