Your Favorite Abomination of Imagery

"Reflect" on Stephen Donaldson's other epic fantasy

Moderator: Cord Hurn

If you were a rogue Imager, which would you translate first?

Firecat
22%
Black Pac-men with big teeth
17%
Callat
9%
Spiny wolves
No votes
Cockroach zombies
17%
Ghouls
13%
Pools of Fire
4%
Rock slide
No votes
Giant man-eating Slugbeast
17%

Total votes: 23

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Your Favorite Abomination of Imagery

Post by Myste »

What nasty beast do you like best?
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

The Giant Slugbeast, without a doubt! :P
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

The ghouls. The fact that they look like children makes them so freaky. :?

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

yes the ghouls are like skrest Village of the Damned kids! 8O
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

If I were a twisted bastard of an Imager wanting quick and nasty revenge on some people, I'd send the ravenous pac-men. I'd gloat while those little monsters caused total panic among my enemies. For sheer psychological trauma, I don't think the terror of seeing someone's face being eaten away can be beat.

Hmm, on the other hand the cockroach zombies are pretty sick, too. Well, I could always save them for another day. And the ghouls are fiendish as well; but using the zombies and the ghouls may involve a bit more planning on my part. Could be more gratifying in the end, though. Decisions, decisions... :)

DISCLAIMER: I'm actually a nice guy, mostly. I merely put myself in a state of wickedness for the sake of this poll. No citizens or animals of Mordant were harmed in the making of this post. Any sightings of such monstrosities as mentioned above should, of course, be reported immediately to the nearest authority.
Torrent
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Torrent »

The ghouls. They were creepy.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

The pools of fire. I like the idea that people would know that there's pools of fire, they can't stop the pools of fire, the pools of fire won't get scared, can't be killed.

Only problem with them is people can just run away from them.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Nathan wrote:The pools of fire. I like the idea that people would know that there's pools of fire, they can't stop the pools of fire, the pools of fire won't get scared, can't be killed.

Only problem with them is people can just run away from them.
:lol: That just conjured the funniest image in my head of a pool of fire trying to chase people. "Wait, wait! I'm a pool of fire, dammit! Don't you run away from me! I'll get you next time! Rawr!" :lol:
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Ravenous Black Pac-Men for me too. Apart from the terror, they're quick, and would be difficult to kill for a swordsman.

They sort of remind me of the Langoliers from the SK short story, but more frightening because they're not "mindless."

The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Have to go with the cockroach zombies. This series seems to be the one that shows just HOW creative and innovative Donaldson is (as if he needed to prove it). It is just so damn alien and frightening. And, well, badass.

Although really, I think Darsint counts here. If he were on the list, I would definately vote for him. Donaldson must be the ONLY fantasy writer to ever throw a sci-fi character in the middle of his story. I love it.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

But Darsint's not really an "Abomination," is he? He's like Terisa--just somebody who got translated out of their own place into Mordant. Sure, he was destructive, but it was only because he didn't know what was going on--not because he was an icky horrible critter.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

put me down for the cockroach zombies... they were truly creepy. Just let you mind drift back and try to imagine what went on to 'hollow-out' a human being by those roached ... yuck!
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

Hypothesis: Darsint was an abomination of Imagery untill Myste reached out to him. The Congery intended to use him in the same way they would use say, an avalanch or a slug beast. The armed scimitar wielding dudes were concious beings, they just chose to fight for Vagel and Eremis.

Hell, there was no way of even knowing that Darsint was a human inside of all that armor. He could have been a robot, or some kind of Lizard dude.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Hypothesis accepted. Darsint was intended as an abomination, but turned out to be otherwise. One of those destructive things that are natural in the places they belong, but become abominable when translated into places they have no business being (like pools of fire and avalanches).
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Well, I think the real "abomination" was that thing Darsint and his men had been fighting (and losing to) on that alien planet. If that thing were brought to Mordant, imagine the damage it would cause to the realm. It seemed unstoppable, even against Darsint's technological might.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Good point. What was that thing? Did we ever actually see it, or was it just shooting lasers at Darsint & Co.?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I thought it was a bunch of Pythaginian thingys frighting his men...and, yes, I don't believe we ever saw them...
The Dreaming
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Dreaming »

... The Amnion?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:haha:
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

8O Laugh, danlo--but what if they were Amnion? 8O

Return to “Mordant's Need”