Do you talk to yourself? Is there a response?

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Do you talk to yourself?

Yes, all the time.
58%
Nope, I never have.
5%
I'm talking to myself right now. I said Hi.
38%

Total votes: 40

aTOMiC
Lord

Do you talk to yourself? Is there a response?

Post by aTOMiC »

I occasionally wonder how often we talk to ourselves. There are a few general examples. You are all alone in a room and you accidentally pound your thumb with a hammer. Now the first thing you do is exclaim from the pain. Then you talk to the hammer and the nail. Then you talk to yourself. There are also the times while driving when we talk to ourselves so much you can't hear the radio (I'm guessing we are really talking to the jerks in the other cars but I'm pretty sure they can't hear us). Then there are the times when we are trying to reason out something in our heads and that may sound like a conversation with another personality but probably isn't.
I work with, fix, and configure computers pretty often and during those times I frequently speak, yell and curse at the infernal machines. In other instances for example after I have just formatted a hard drive that had one last, very important piece if information on it that I forgot about, I begin talking to myself in earnest. :-)
To this point in my life I have never heard a voice speaking back to me when I was talking to myself. I'll keep you all posted if I ever do.

What about you?
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Yes, I do.
ChoChiyo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ChoChiyo »

I talk to myself continuously, but all those other voices in my head keep interrupting my conversation with myself.

The voices do have some pretty good ideas sometimes though,....

No, seriously--I really do talk to myself. I will even occasionally say to myself, "Take a breath," if I start to flip out over something.

Mainly, I work out problems aloud--or I ask myself what in the seven hells is the matter with me. I never get a decent answer to that one--just a mental raspberry followed by the giggling of all those other voices in there.

Empress Cho hammers the KABC of Evil.

"If Ignorance is Bliss, Ann Coulter must be the happiest woman in the universe!"

Take that, you Varlet! :P
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

yik yak..

Post by lurch »

...I hear voices in my head...but they keep saying I'm a real stud,,so..MEL
SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

I talk to myself all the time. I answer myself too. I figure I am ok as long as I don't talk to my lawn and have it answer me back. That would be scary.

Hmm...

I wonder what my lawn would say to me. Get me Rogain for lawns? Dude! Too much puppy poo! Darn squirrels dropping nuts on me! What is with all the freakin' weeds?!
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

My alter ego (Cho) speaks a lot...
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
Leonard Nimoy
Ramen

Post by Leonard Nimoy »

Will you guys shut up? I'm trying to have a conversation with myself here.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

I talk to myself when I write... but that's just to make sure things sound alright when spoken.

PS. looks like we may have found our common denominator. :P
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Usually when I program, I tend to mutter to myself a lot.-jay
ChoChiyo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ChoChiyo »

Heh heh. I mutter when I write...and i mutter A LOT when I correct my kids' compositions....

"Weren't you LISTENING AT ALL when I talked about TOPIC SENTENCES???? AAAARRRRGGG!"

"If Ignorance is Bliss, Ann Coulter must be the happiest woman in the universe!"

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I talk to myself, and to my computer, and to whatever project I'm working on.

Then there are the days when I'm utterly distracted and stressed out, and to calm myself I fall into this Gollum like "we" thing...

"Okay, Myste, first we have to stop at the bank. Then we have to go to work. Then at lunch we can run to the store and the post office. When we get off work (after hanging around to see if the cleaning guy shows up! ;)), we go straight home and do laundry, and while we're doing laundry we can start marinading the chicken wings for tomorrow. We'll be fine. We can do it!"

Usually, if I catch myself at it, I start to worry about us, and have to tell ourselves, "Okay, so we've gone a little crazy, nothing to worry about. We'll just be sure to call someone if we starts answering back, preciousssss."
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
ChoChiyo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ChoChiyo »

:haha:

Yessssss, my preciousssssss....we WANTS it we doessssssss

SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

ChoChiyo wrote:Heh heh. I mutter when I write...and i mutter A LOT when I correct my kids' compositions....

"Weren't you LISTENING AT ALL when I talked about TOPIC SENTENCES???? AAAARRRRGGG!"
LOL Sounds a lot like me with my kids... wander off in another room mutteing "Sell her to the gypsies! Ah... they'd just leave her on the front porch during the night." *sigh*
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

You know, my mom sold me to the gypsies once, and that's exactly what they did. :D
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

I talk to myself all the time, but it's generally so low you wouldn't hear me.

I also yell back at the radio, when someone says something really stupid.

My husband has loud vehement conversations with himself when he thinks there is no one around. I suspect he is rehearsing bawling out bosses or co-workers that he could never really yell at in RL. :P
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Btw, Jay, you're avatar is a riot. :)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

I talk to myself only when I am mad
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

When trying to use the internet over my old dial-up connection, constantly. Firefox had this stupid habit of telling me a page couldn't be found even when I knew perfectly well that it could. So, in frustration, and also when thinking hard, perhaps working out how to do a complicated maths problem. A large proportion of this talking is, of course, swearing.
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

i talk to myself at work a lot, my inmates get confused and ask me what i said. i tell them i was thinking out loud.
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

I talk to myself. Sometimes I'll have more than one conversation going. I figure as long as I can keep them straight it's not a problem! :S

And frankly? There are times, at work for instance, when me, myself, and I are the only ones making sense.
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”