Barbara Hambly

Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Barbara Hambly

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Has anyone ever read anything by Barbara Hambly? I'm currently reading Icefalcon's Quest. It seems to be pretty good. :)
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

name sounds very familiar. i think i've read some of her stuff in F&SF. couldn't really comment on any of it, but i know it's one of those names.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

re

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

I just read a short story by her, and One or two star wars books last summer when I went on my star wars kick....I like her.
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I have read pretty much everything Hambly has written in the fantasy genre. (I have skipped any of the Star Wars novels she has done.)

I can vouch for her as one of the best fantasy writers there is. A short overview of what I remember of her work:

The Time of the Dark triology:
This is her first triology and it is about a fantasy world that is slowly slipping into an ice age. At the same time the people in the world are fighting a race of creatures known only as "The Dark". Into this two people from California (real world) is transported.

The Silicon Mage/Dog Wizard series
This series is also a crossover worlds series about a woman who is transported into a world where magic works. There she meets the imprisoned mage Antryg Windrose, and gets involved in the fight against the inquisition and an almost dead dark mage.

Dragonsbane/Dragonshadow/Knight of the Demon Queen
This one is about dragons, mages, dragon slayers and demons. It is kind of strange, but the books are very well done although I keep wondering if the series is finished or not.

The Witches of Wenshar series
This one is my personal favorite. It is about Sun Wolf, an old mercenary leader who is poisoned with a deadly poison but who survives because of an inborn talent for magery. With this new power he gets involved in several adventures.

Travelling with the dead
A vampire story set in victorian times.

Stranger at the Wedding
A standalone story about a mage in the same world where Antryg Windrose lives. Mages are persecuted there this is a major theme in this cross between a mystery novel and love story set in a fantasy environment.

Icefalcons Quest BTW, is a book set in the same world as the Time of the Dark, but the main character is a minor character in those books called the Icefalcon. He is a member of a barbarian tribe which has allied himself with some of the last survivors of the war against the dark. Another book in this series is the Mother of Winter.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot

Return to “General Discussion Forum”