Free, open, general chat on any topic.

Moderators: Orlion, balon!, aliantha

Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Who wants an island?

Post by Cybrweez »

--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Nicaragua? Who wants a bullet in the head? Or a coke processing lab? :wink:
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Do they also process diet coke?-jay :?:
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Yo, there's info on it. The drugs and problems are on the northwest side. Check out #24 in the list of info.
--Andy

Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Coke processing lab, that comes under #26, Income Potential.
--Andy

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

ROTFL

What's with the deer with the red chain? Those are some easy pickin's right there. :?

Not that I have $200,000 to spend anyway...

Wow. In this county, you can't even buy one lot for that, let alone an island.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I'll tell you, that's really tempting (assuming it's not a scam). Property's so friggin' expensive here, that's a steal.

By way of comparison, 18 months ago I sold a 50'x100' piece of land here in Pasadena (which is a suburb of Baltimore). I sold it to a builder for $45,000, and he paid all the transfer fees and hooked the house I was selling (adjacent to the lot) up to public sewer. When all was said and done, the land cost him around $54,000...For less than 1/8th of an acre.

He made out like a king though, he just sold the house he built on that lot for $315,000.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

I don't think I can buy that.
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Are there any nude beaches nearby?
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Alynna, you don't need $200,000. You just get some partners. It would be a haven for Watch members.

Fist, you would OWN the beaches, they could be whatever you want. Course, wouldn't have many tourists I'm sure, so don't know how much you'd enjoy it. But if you just like to feel the sun on your butt, its your beach.
--Andy

The Pumpkin King
<i>Haruchai</i>
Location: If I knew that, I wouldn't be here, would I? ;) Or, really, would I? Gaaaahh...

Post by The Pumpkin King »

In the very least, it would be a great place to build a secret evil lair.

Or perhaps an all-out fortress!

The possibilies are endless!

...I wonder how a nation would react to such a facility, now that I think about it...
Go Godzilla, go!
Jurassic Lizard Superstar Hero
Go Godzilla, go!
For the people, for the planet!
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Then you could declare independence.
--Andy

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

I'm all about hunting the wild bores [sic]. Bores are the worst. Except for the wild ones.
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

This is a great idea! I'd love to have an island hideaway! Anybody got a spare $35,000 they can give me for the down payment?

Actually, on second thought, forget it. It'll be too hot there. The last time I went to Virginia Beach, all I wanted to do was stay inside, where it was air-conditioned....

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

https://www.hearth-myth.com/
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Second that one. Beaches are not for me any time before 7 pm.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Booo. How can you not love beaches? If it gets to hot, I just roll into the water. Ahh, nice clean water (sorry, I live in NJ, not used to it).

Don't worry about money. Think about it, we get 30 people, each w/$10,000. That puts 6 on each lot. That means each can use their lot for 2 months. Maybe you'd actually be there for 2 weeks, a nice vacation. The other 6 weeks you rent it out. True, not many are interested in remote islands off Nicaragua for vacations, but I'm dreaming here. If you could rent those 6 weeks for $500 each (which is pretty darn cheap for a week on a caribbean island), you get back $3,000/year. Haha, I'm losing it.
--Andy

Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

If we all combined are money together, we can all but the island.
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Heh, that'd show those other author-centric boards. "You might like the people you talk about Orson Scott Card with, but you don't love them enough to buy an island with them!"

What would we call it? Could we convince SRD to come visit? Could we secede from Nicaragua and become the Republic of KevinsWatch (apostrophe and space optional)? Heh, or we could just call it the Land. "Welcome to the Land. Customs is to your left. Please note that white gold is a controlled substance in the Land. All bearers of white gold must register with the Wild Magic Management Authority. Enjoy your stay!"

The Pumpkin King
<i>Haruchai</i>
Location: If I knew that, I wouldn't be here, would I? ;) Or, really, would I? Gaaaahh...

Post by The Pumpkin King »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:Heh, that'd show those other author-centric boards. "You might like the people you talk about Orson Scott Card with, but you don't love them enough to buy an island with them!"

What would we call it? Could we convince SRD to come visit? Could we secede from Nicaragua and become the Republic of KevinsWatch (apostrophe and space optional)? Heh, or we could just call it the Land. "Welcome to the Land. Customs is to your left. Please note that white gold is a controlled substance in the Land. All bearers of white gold must register with the Wild Magic Management Authority. Enjoy your stay!"
It'd actually be really cool to make a concrete or cement-based replica of a Stonedown or something, and use that as our island's capitol. :wink:
Go Godzilla, go!
Jurassic Lizard Superstar Hero
Go Godzilla, go!
For the people, for the planet!
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:"Welcome to the Land. Customs is to your left. Please note that white gold is a controlled substance in the Land. All bearers of white gold must register with the Wild Magic Management Authority. Enjoy your stay!"
:haha: :LOLS: :haha:

...Wild Magic Management Authority...!!!

<wipes tears from eyes>
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.

Return to “General Discussion Forum”