Lollapalooza '03

Who's listening to what, what's going on in the music industry....

Moderators: StevieG, dANdeLION, lucimay

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Lollapalooza '03

Post by [Syl] »

from www.antimusic.com/news/03/feb/item13.shtml

musicNEWS: Lollapallooza 2003 with Audioslave, Incubus, QOTSA, Jurassic 5 and Jane’s Addiction.

02-07-03 antiGUY
It may only be February but the summer concert season is already heating up and it looks like 2003 will be the year that Lollapalooza returns.
VH1 News is reporting that the tour is a go for this summer and will feature Jane’s Addiction, Incubus, Audioslave, Jurassic 5 and Queens of the Stone Age.

The last outing for the tour was in 1997. Since then there have been rumbling of its return but they never panned out.

An official announcement will be made on Monday at Ameoba Music in Hollywood. The press conference is expected to include members of all five bands. Not all of the details are expected to be revealed during the press conference. Dates, venues and additional bands will be announced in the coming weeks.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

Incubus! drools
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Oi...the young generation... :roll:
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

What! What is wrong with Incubus? :) I like Audioslave too. :D
Worm of Despite
Lord

Count me wrong if I am (which I think I'm not), but the last step forward for popular music (or at least rock and roll) was In Utero. Everything else after has been trying to go where Nirvana was going, but none have succeeded. And on top of that, from all indications, the only person who knew the next step forward was Kurt Cobain... *sighs* It’s going to take another one of him, I think, and those only come around God knows when.

One guy pretty much summed it up for me on Amazon.com:

"Before "Nevermind" came out, the music world was dominated by cheesy acts like New Kids on the Block, Milli Vanilli, and MC Hammer. The rock world wasn't any better, with glam bands like Poison, Whitesnake, and Ratt...

...then the revolution began.

Overnight, Seattle's bands were dominating the airwaves, and Nirvana, particularly Kurt Cobain, were at the center of this. They had become famous by not wanting to be famous, and it all started with this album. Whether you still love it or are sick of it, "Smells like Teen Spirit" is still THE anthem for anyone who's sick of Top 40 radio and an unfair world in general. There are more gems on this album, including "Come as you are", "Lithium", and "Drain You". In fact, the entire album seems flawless. Ignore the detractors, because despite the simplicity of the music here, the emotion is real and that's what counts.

A decade later, here we are again. Cheesy Top 40 acts rule the world, and rock has fallen by the wayside. Legitimate bands like Tool, Staind, and Godsmack are making impressions, but nothing has made an impact that even comes close to Nirvana's "Nevermind". We can only wait and hope that another band will come along and shake the music world up."

Seems like the time is ripe for another "revolution", yes it does, but this IS such a cruel world...*mutters at the Top 40*
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

MC Hammer *gags*
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Plus ce est, plus ce la transiere ... or something like that. The more things change... concerning Mc Hammer and such, Rob Zombie said almost the exact same thing at the concert I saw with him and Korn (i think it was the "Pop Music Sucks Tour").

i think the problem this day and age is the completely stagnant state the music industry is in. i wouldn't care so much that everything on the radio sucked if it at least sucked in a different manner as it did in '94. everything sounds so much alike. country is rock but with twang and gratuitous pick-up truck references. in my opinion (if this hasn't been made clear by now), nu-metal is the worst of these offenders as it takes two valid music types, rap and metal, and turns them into commercial filler, retarding (though of course, not stopping) growth in both genres. pop is alternative is pop. even some of the few good bands putting out music these days are just pushing the boundaries to avant garde without really creating anything new.

an' kno, juzt spellin theengs dipherentlee duznt maque yu n r-tisst orr erbin an' hipp... it just means you're probably as gifted in english as you are in music.

either the world needs a new kobain, or i need to find my dentures and stop the nurses from stealing my meds.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner

Post by Guest »

You shouldn't turn to the radio if you're looking for a music revolution, that's not what radio is about ... and by waiting for a new Cobain you automatically limit your focus so you might miss something really new ...

Things used to be better, in every aspect, in every area, for every generation, always, eh? ;)
Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Post by Sevothtarte »

Wtf? That's the first time that logging-out thingy ever happened to me... grmpf Forum's raving again ...
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

i'm no longer as well connected as i used to be, so i need to rely on the radio to pick up the scent of change. of course, i also have mp3s and a few online 'zines, so i don't completely rely on ClearCast. unfortunately, there's not much of a local scene this far north of chicago, but even if there was i'm such a shut-in these days it wouldn't matter.

it's not the return of grunge, and especially not return of the rock (what a horrible concept that turned out to be), that i'm looking for. i'd prefer revolution, but i'll take progression (even prog rock seems to be a smaller genre than it used to be). i won't even be too upset if something new comes up that i don't like. i'm just tired of the music scene drifting in the doldrums.

cut away the deadwood, i say.
-George Steiner
Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Post by Sevothtarte »

Sylvanus wrote: i won't even be too upset if something new comes up that i don't like.
It's hard to see something one doesn't like as a positive revolution or progress ... someone who got a headache from Nirvana's music won't easily subscribe to Cobain the Saviour of Music.
Worm of Despite
Lord

Oh bah, Guest... I'm limiting my focus to music what I LIKE...which is tough--really is... :wink: And I don't want another Cobain--I want another REVOLUTION that brings ROCK back--once again, like it ALWAYS comes back. At least, let the current Top 40 pass into oblivion, dear God... And the only generation that had it best in all areas was between 1969-1975. At their backs they had the Beatles, and at their fronts, coming in full force, was the last gasp of true rock and roll... You may scoff at that, yes, but those years were when pop music was an ART--not an image. Folks like on American Idol (don’t get me started) talk about “image” being up there with “talent”. I've seen some CRAPPY singers get on American Idol's semi-finals on account of their looks, just about.

Ayup, Billy Joel would have had a helluva time making it in today’s market. A lot of songwriters like him would be out of luck, I’d bet. See--for me, the only images that matter to me are the ones my head makes when the sound enters my ears--basically, whatever the music gives me, and not what the singer wears or the lights and other baubles floating around on the stage. And I’m saying “singer”, cause we’re dominated by “singers” (more like lip-synchers on stage) right now, not bands. Just watch the past year's SuperBowl--or the year before... *Slaps forehead* I’m going to stop now, before this gets very out of hand... :roll:

Return to “Vespers”