Simple question, if you own the original set of 6 books...

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Steve Hurtloam
Ramen

Simple question, if you own the original set of 6 books...

Post by Steve Hurtloam »

Red, Blue, Green, Maroon, Blue, Gold.

If they're on your book-shelf, are these novels ever kept NOT in the above order?

:wink:
:)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Never! :x :D
fall far and well Pilots!
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Well, mine actually sit on the shelf blue, teal, purple, green, cya, red. That may just be becaue I'm not an American though. ;)

But seriously, I'm so anal about that sort of stuff that even my entire Discworld collection is in order. All the time. :D

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
The Pumpkin King
<i>Haruchai</i>
Location: If I knew that, I wouldn't be here, would I? ;) Or, really, would I? Gaaaahh...

Post by The Pumpkin King »

Nope! Mine stay in both of their boxed set things. :wink: In order.
Go Godzilla, go!
Jurassic Lizard Superstar Hero
Go Godzilla, go!
For the people, for the planet!
Seareach
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Seareach »

I don't have a set...but if someone were happy to GIVE me their set, I'd be happy to put it on my bookshelf in the order stated above (Red, Blue, Green, Maroon, Blue, Gold). :lol:
Steve Hurtloam
Ramen

Post by Steve Hurtloam »

Hehehehe... what's wrong with all of us?
MrKABC
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MrKABC »

My set IS in order - red, blue, green, purple, blue, and gold...

<Grinning>
"This is the grace that has been given to you - to bear what must be borne."
The Pumpkin King
<i>Haruchai</i>
Location: If I knew that, I wouldn't be here, would I? ;) Or, really, would I? Gaaaahh...

Post by The Pumpkin King »

*waves his temptingly in front of Sereach out of immature, self-amused spite*

Go Godzilla, go!
Jurassic Lizard Superstar Hero
Go Godzilla, go!
For the people, for the planet!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Seareach wrote:I don't have a set...
To re-work Foamfollower's words from LFB: "Ah, that is as sad a tale in five words as any you might have told me. How do you live?" :)
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Mine are in that order, but I've discovered a problem. This problem is with all hardcover books tho. When you stand them up, the pages are not resting on the shelf, obviously, b/c the cover extends past the pages. But the pages will sag to the shelf over time, due to gravity. This will pull the binding apart at the top of the book, so that the pages can rest on the shelf. So, w/o touching the book, over time it will fall apart. I need a solution to keep books in good shape. Stacking them flat would work, but doesn't look nice, let's face it, books are bought to be displayed nicely. Maybe if the books were squeezed tight the pages wouldn't sag? I think books should come w/little piece of wood or something that can be placed under the book to keep the pages resting on something.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Steve Hurtloam
Ramen

Post by Steve Hurtloam »

Okay... now you're really scaring me.
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Yep, mine are in order. I'm incredibly anal about that sort of thing.... :P
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Cybrweez wrote:Mine are in that order, but I've discovered a problem. This problem is with all hardcover books tho. When you stand them up, the pages are not resting on the shelf, obviously, b/c the cover extends past the pages. But the pages will sag to the shelf over time, due to gravity. This will pull the binding apart at the top of the book, so that the pages can rest on the shelf. So, w/o touching the book, over time it will fall apart. I need a solution to keep books in good shape. Stacking them flat would work, but doesn't look nice, let's face it, books are bought to be displayed nicely. Maybe if the books were squeezed tight the pages wouldn't sag? I think books should come w/little piece of wood or something that can be placed under the book to keep the pages resting on something.

Absolutely. In medieval times, they had chests made to hold & carry books to fight against that exact problem. The way they did it was by packing books spine-down, so that the open edge of the book pointed upward. You can do this on your bookshelves, though admittedly it's not terribly attractive. Why do you think so many books in the old days had gilded or decrated page edges? I don't think you're mad at all. Well, maybe a little. But's it's a gentle madness. :D
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Cybrweez
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cybrweez »

Thx Myste. And we'll see how others, like Hurtloam, feel when 10 yrs from now, they pick up LFB and the cover falls away from the pages. I won't sound so crazy then will I?!?! :?: :crazy:
--Andy

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur."
Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.

I believe in the One who says there is life after this.
Now tell me how much more open can my mind be?
Steve Hurtloam
Ramen

Post by Steve Hurtloam »

Hahaha! But for 10 years I'll be laughing and laughing!

hehehe.. who am I fooling? Now you have ME paranoid about my hard cover books!
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Mine kinda go like this:

red, blue, maroon... gold, blue blue gildenfire...

red........... maroon
blue........... gold
green

In truth, I'm not sure how many copies of each I have. Except for TOT - I've got three of that one, two hard-cover and one paperback.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Prover of Life
<i>Elohim</i>

Re: Simple question, if you own the original set of 6 books.

Post by Prover of Life »

Steve Hurtloam wrote:Red, Blue, Green, Maroon, Blue, Gold.

If they're on your book-shelf, are these novels ever kept NOT in the above order?

I have all 6. Kept chronological.
Old man how is it that you hear these things?
Young man how is it that you do not?

Master Po
Prover of Life
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prover of Life »

Cybrweez wrote:Mine are in that order, but I've discovered a problem. This problem is with all hardcover books tho. When you stand them up, the pages are not resting on the shelf, obviously, b/c the cover extends past the pages. But the pages will sag to the shelf over time, due to gravity. This will pull the binding apart at the top of the book, so that the pages can rest on the shelf. So, w/o touching the book, over time it will fall apart. I need a solution to keep books in good shape. Stacking them flat would work, but doesn't look nice, let's face it, books are bought to be displayed nicely. Maybe if the books were squeezed tight the pages wouldn't sag? I think books should come w/little piece of wood or something that can be placed under the book to keep the pages resting on something.

Vist your local hardware store & pick up some small pieces of wood. Shape to form and glue to bookshelf, making a "slot" for the pages to rest on. I haven't noticed a problem. I have some books personally shelved for 40 yrs. Will watch for it though.

Master Po
Steve Hurtloam
Ramen

Post by Steve Hurtloam »

Then the acid in the wood will eat away at the pages.
Prover of Life
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Prover of Life »

Steve Hurtloam wrote:Then the acid in the wood will eat away at the pages.
Oh. Plastic?

Master Po

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”