Daredevil Rocks!!!

The KWMdB.

Moderators: dANdeLION, sgt.null

danlo
Lord

Daredevil Rocks!!!

Post by danlo »

Awesome, killer movie! Kicks ass and takes names later! GO SEE DAREDEVIL now!! Best adaptation of a Comic Superhero ever. I kno I'm biased being a DD freak since I was 12, but now I am the Lord w/o fear!!!! :R :E :S
fall far and well Pilots!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Helloooooooooooooooooooo fellow DD freak! :) I started collecting DD a few issues before Elektra's first appearance. (My dog is named Elektra, btw :) ) MAN those were good days!! The last pre-Miller Gladiator story (pre-writer, that is. He was already drawing.), the Mauler, Bullseye in the subway, the beginning of the Kingpin as DD's foe, then the whole Elektra/Chaste/Hand stuff. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Haven't had a chance to see the movie yet though. What with an infant in the house. :)
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

man, that's eerie. not a whole lot of DD fans out there, and we got 3 right on this board. DD was the only comic book i liked as a kid.

i'm wondering if the values for my collection are going to go up.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I even had a Daredevil poster in my office! I miss the comic! I browse them at the bookstores but there r now 2 reasons y I don't buy them 1. comics r incredibly xpensive nowadays and 2. I don't really like the artwork in the new Marvel Knights series...

If u r a DD comic freak--u will b very happy w/the movie!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

I'm still collecting at 39! :) Just went yesterday. But now I don't get much of anything every month. I look at everything and see if it looks good to me. The art is my complaint too. It seems they will let anybody draw for them these days.

But Elektra has (another) monthly title, and I get that every time. (Also the JSA and Hawkman. Both great so far. :)) There was also a 4-part mini of DD & Elektra. Not sure what Marvel is up to, but it retold the whole story. Elektra is American, her father owns a store, and Stone - a woman - is her martial arts teacher. Good art though. I heard something like Marvel is starting over so that their characters aren't in their 50's, as they should be by now.

BTW, I'm also a HUGE Shang Chi and Iron Fist freak!!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I think I remember Stone being her teacher, but I didn't remember Stone being a woman. The issue I'm thinking of is probably one before or one after she fell.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I've always been a Kingpin-head, but from Spider-Man, where he originated..

Danlo, DD got really bad reviews from the New York Times and Boston Globe. Is it really good?
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Sylvanus wrote:I think I remember Stone being her teacher, but I didn't remember Stone being a woman. The issue I'm thinking of is probably one before or one after she fell.
As I said, it's a retelling of things. The original Stone was male. BIG guy. And since he was one of the Seven, he was one of her teachers. But she had others before the Seven. (As well as teachers of different sorts after.)
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

It's very dark, but that's what DD is! It's no wonder the popular press didn't like it--it's, almost, reality not some cutesy-wootsy Spiderman type thing. Warning if u c the movie don't do what I did and leave @ the end of the movie--I heard on the radio 2day that there is a very important scene that pops up w/in the credits!!! I thought it was great! :2c:
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

OH BABY!! <b>GREAT</B> MOVIE!! :) Bullseye was nasty, and fantastic! Elektra was incredible, and... *whew*!!

I'm pretty happy :)

My only complaint is that some of the fights were shot too close-up, where you can see faces and hands swinging past, but can't see the choreography. Ah well...
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

overall, i thought the movie was out-freakin'-standing. the only thing that bugged me was the billy club being too much like batman's utility belt. that, and DD never bounced it off some guys head, off of a wall, and back into his hand. that was always the coolest. the depiciton of his sonar sense was awesome, tho.

loved Kevin Smith's part. also noticed that Frank Miller had a cameo: "Guy With Pen in Head," or something like that. Stan Lee, of course, also had a cameo. any i-man fans in the house?
-George Steiner
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Sylvanus wrote:and DD never bounced it off some guys head, off of a wall, and back into his hand. that was always the coolest.
Yes! Remember when Bullseye did it to him? That was pretty wild!
Sylvanus wrote:the depiciton of his sonar sense was awesome, tho.
Loved it! It was so cool seeing him in the subway, banging his club until he pinpointed the guy.
Sylvanus wrote:loved Kevin Smith's part. also noticed that Frank Miller had a cameo: "Guy With Pen in Head," or something like that. Stan Lee, of course, also had a cameo.
I saw Miller in the credits, but I don't remember seeing pen-head. I remember seeing the guy that Bulls killed with pencils though.
Sylvanus wrote:any i-man fans in the house?
Assuming you mean Iron Man, hell yes! Some fantastic stuff was done there. His first meeting with Doom, when they went to Camelot, stands out.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I loved Iron Man up 2 when Tony Stark faded from view. Couldn't keep up w/the alter egos, 2 many suits and didn't understand the black guy's plight. Or didn't "click' w/him. As Bannor once said in another forum: I love the way Marvel dares 2 take on serious social issues in their comics. Stark was sorta an anti-hero in a way--even tho he had it all, moneywise, 2 many demons, to much loneliness, major problem w/alcohol...great stuff!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

iron man was cool, but i was referring to the (cancelled) sci-fi series The Invisible Man. The guy that played Hobbs on that show played the rapist.
-George Steiner
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

My husband and I watched it a few nights ago and we both LOVED it! That scene in the rain was wonderful!Image
Love as thou wilt.

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Yes, the rain was good stuff! Glad you got to see the movie. :)
*looks sternly at the rest of the Watch*
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I wasn't quite as taken with the film, I'm afraid. It was well watchable, but I thought Ben Affleck spent the entire film trying to be Billy Zane, I suspect the real Billy Zane would have been a bit cheaper ("Affleck, you da bomb in Phantom!").

Colin Farrell was a bit wooden too. Can't fault J. Gar and Ving Rhames though, in fact I've since purchased a pair of sai.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Good job, Navarino!:) I bought a black set back when Elektra first appeared in DD's comic book 23ish years ago. What a fun weapon!
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I keep catching myself with them at the moment, I think they fit better into Karate than Tae Kwon do. Or maybe I should have got the 19" rather than 21".
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

A good friend of mine, who the last time I asked was a 2nd or 3rd degree blackbelt in Tae Kwon Do, was really good with the sais.

And speaking of martial arts, Hellfire and I are starting Aikido on Sunday.
-George Steiner

Return to “Flicks”