Latest SF/Fantasy Acquisitions

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Myste wrote:If you're enjoying it, then I can't recommend The Worm Ouroborus by E. R. Eddison enough. It's also flawed, but magnificent. Add it to your lists! Add it now! :D
Guess what else is coming in that next order? Heh.
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Good. :D

Re: your sig....I'll just go mind my own business now. :lol: I'm such a sucker sometimes. :D
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I fell for it too :cry:
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Murrin wrote:We seem to be reading a lot of the same stuff recently, Encryptic.
I've got to point a finger at Ainulindale for that since he has provided some pretty solid recommendations so far (Mieville, for one). :D
Vector
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Vector »

Myste wrote:It's still there, Vector--very very addictive, but more given over to stuff than books. The stuff is great, though, whether you're a genuine collector or a goofball fangirl/boy like me. :D
I have seen some of that transformation, though it has been about 7 years since I was there last, it was already emphasizing collectibles - though they still had a decent selection of books.

I remember going there in my teens 20 -25 years ago (my grandfather lived in Manhattan at that time) and they just had so many fantasy/sci-fi titles - it seemed like paradise at the time.
"When you look into the abyss, the abyss looks back into you" - Nietzsche
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I'll have to bring it up with Fist & Faith, but a store that carries such items as Monty Python action figures, sounds like a good place to visit. 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

i just bought The Earthsea Quartet by Ursula Le Guin.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

It's a quintet, now, Warmark. The fifth Earthsea book came out last year. :D
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I bought a Four-in-one paperback which includes:

The Wizard of Earthsea.
The Tombs of Atuan.
The Farthest shore.
Tehanu.

Is this the right order?
What is the Fifth called?

BTW, 500th post. :D
I am so proud. :P

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

I've always thought it a little strange that they seem to still be selling the same Puffin edition of "The Earthsea Quartet" that I bought a decade ago. Warmark, does yours have a cover divided into four pictures, with a title in a box in the center? A brownish colour scheme?

I've not read the fifth book, but I've seen it in stores. Trying to remember the name - The Other Wind?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Myste wrote:Part of what makes it so marvelous is seeing the flaws ... It's also flawed, but magnificent.
Gormenghast is flawed?! 8O
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Murrin--yes, the fifth Earthsea book is called The Other Wind.

CJ--:lol: The third book of the Gormenghast trilogy just isn't as well put together as the other two. Peake had some weird idiosyncrasies that showed up more as his mental state deteriorated. Like I said, it doesn't mean Gormenghast isn't magnificent, or one of the greatest epics of the 20th century. :D
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

The third book of the Gormenghast trilogy just isn't as well put together as the other two. Peake had some weird idiosyncrasies that showed up more as his mental state deteriorated. Like I said, it doesn't mean Gormenghast isn't magnificent, or one of the greatest epics of the 20th century
May have got stuck as last on post on last page:

Regarding the third book in Gormenghast , the different tone and the admittedly lack of quality in comaprison to the prior 2 novels is due to it being largely written from Mervyn Peake's notes, as he was suffering both mentally and physically at this time in his life he suffered from Parkinson's disease and a until later in life the dormant Encephalitis Lethargica (sleeping sickness). That said the first two books, are IMHO, if such a thing exists, THE two masterpieces of the genre.

Boy in the Darkness, a novella also is Gormenghast related and appeared in an anthology entitled Somewhere, Never
I've not read the fifth book, but I've seen it in stores. Trying to remember the name - The Other Wind?
There is also a Tales of Earth Sea collection that has some related short stories. Also in her collection The Wind's Twelve Quarters there are a 2 more short stories that are Earthsea related.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Murrin wrote:I've always thought it a little strange that they seem to still be selling the same Puffin edition of "The Earthsea Quartet" that I bought a decade ago. Warmark, does yours have a cover divided into four pictures, with a title in a box in the center? A brownish colour scheme?
Yep, thats the one, only read first two chapters but i like it. :D

CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

CovenantJr wrote:Today I discovered two reasonble used-book stall in Victoria Market (this is the first time I've found even a hint of second-hand books in Nottingham city). I bought The Business by Iain Banks, because it sounded interesting, and the first Wheel of Time book, since it's one of the many series I've been meaning to read for years.
I returned to those book stalls yesterday and bought Dune by Frank Herbert (finally) and Vittorio the Vampire by Anne Rice.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Cursing myself for my continued lack of spending restraint, I ordered a signed copy of No Present Like Time by Steph Swainston, from an online store Ain linked to on FBS - only £9.99!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Just picked up Dr Who - 4 Decades in Television
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Encryptic wrote:Just ordered Book of the New Sun and the Gormenghast trilogy from Amazon. :D
Welp, the first half of my order arrived, so I've got Shadow & Claw/Urth of the New Sun sitting on the bookshelf while I wait for Gormenghast and Sword & Citadel to arrive (hopefully today or tomorrow).
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Picked up a used copy of E.R. Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros. It's all that Myste's fault. :wink:
Myste
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Myste »

Yay! :D
"O Queen," said Juss, "somewhat I know of grammarie and divine philosophy, yet must I bow to thee for such learning, that dwellest here from generation to generation and dost commune with the dead."
I just brought home a copy of the Gourmet cookbook. If that's not proof that I live in a fantasy world, nothing is. :)

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”