TC Musings, Q & A, Dissecting Against All Things Ending

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Skyweir
Lord of Light

TC Musings, Q & A, Dissecting Against All Things Ending

Post by Skyweir »

This is a thread for your general TC musings and more definitive questions .. those things that only take a few posts to answer and usually find its way toward the back of the TC forum shelving system.

So if you got questions to ask ... revelations to reveal ~ that wont occupy a thread all of their own .. then here's the place for them.

example .. which book is the chapter Winter in Combat in?

or .. what was Linden's last name? Who knows which is the very first edition of TCTC?

ya know .. stuff that after a response or two .. just sits there forever cos its done with.
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Serpreme

Post by Serpreme »

why is TC always so PO?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

anger is the scourge that drives him forward.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

anger and hatred for foul...

come to think of it... as TC is always so PO, y doesn't that make foul stronger? as he's from outside surely his anger would have more effect that that of the people inside?
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

So we can muse about the bra size of The First? ;)
Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Post by Sevothtarte »

Forestal wrote:come to think of it... as TC is always so PO, y doesn't that make foul stronger? as he's from outside surely his anger would have more effect that that of the people inside?
Well... :D Just think of the state of mind Covenant was in when he was finally able to master Foul in WGW and you know the answer to this.
Vain wrote:So we can muse about the bra size of The First?
We'd be talking tents, not cups.

Always remember Pitchwife's height - what's in his eye level - and you know what he likes about her.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

Sevothtarte wrote:
Forestal wrote:come to think of it... as TC is always so PO, y doesn't that make foul stronger? as he's from outside surely his anger would have more effect that that of the people inside?
Well... :D Just think of the state of mind Covenant was in when he was finally able to master Foul in WGW and you know the answer to this.
elaborate please :?:
We'd be talking tents, not cups.

Always remember Pitchwife's height - what's in his eye level - and you know what he likes about her.
ROFMLFAO!!!!!! :haha: :LOLS: :lol: ..... ok i'm over it :roll:
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Post by Sevothtarte »

My opinion: yes, the more Covenant is PO, the stronger his hatred, the stronger is Foul. Foul is his mirror, his dark side. In WGW, after his purification in the fire, Covenant is at peace with himself. He's accepting and understanding. He doesn't blindly try to destroy Foul, it wouldn't have worked. He accepts his own dark side and takes the full blast of it - the literal blasts of energy Foul throws at him symbolize this - thus he's able to overcome it. No denial, no burying, no self-destruction. Accept your own dark side, your own faults and you will grow as a person. You will overcome your dark side.

Face the music of your soul, don't try to deny it, don't try to kill something that's part of you. This, killing what you hate about you, is what many kinds of self-destructive behaviour (like playing with blades) are about.

This might lead back to my 'Thoughts' thread ...

Just my two White Gold Dollars.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

and very astute, succint WGDs they are.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

Sevothtarte wrote:My opinion: yes, the more Covenant is PO, the stronger his hatred, the stronger is Foul. Foul is his mirror, his dark side. In WGW, after his purification in the fire, Covenant is at peace with himself. He's accepting and understanding. He doesn't blindly try to destroy Foul, it wouldn't have worked. He accepts his own dark side and takes the full blast of it - the literal blasts of energy Foul throws at him symbolize this - thus he's able to overcome it. No denial, no burying, no self-destruction. Accept your own dark side, your own faults and you will grow as a person. You will overcome your dark side.

Face the music of your soul, don't try to deny it, don't try to kill something that's part of you. This, killing what you hate about you, is what many kinds of self-destructive behaviour (like playing with blades) are about.

ahhh i get it now...
Accept your own dark side
*KSSHT* Luke... come to the dark side!

:LOLS:

masrock
Servant of the Land

Post by masrock »

Its a while since I read WGW (10 -15 yrs) from memory, the big joke on Foul was that although the ring was the symbol, TC himself was the arch of time, once TC realised this he realised that Foul had not power over him, everything directed at TC just washed over him then.

But I'm reareading the whole set just to be sure

Masrock
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I posted this on the Album thread, but I'll post it here as well--We need 2 celebrate SRD's birthday! We all kno what year he was born in but can any1 supply the actual date? (mhoram and I just posted a photo of SRD in the Member's Gallery, it was high time! Carumba!)
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I found a link to SRD's birthday:

Stephen Donaldson
A Biography. Stephen R. Donaldson was born in Cleveland on May 13, 1947 to James
R. Donaldson, a medical missionary, and Mary Ruth Reeder, a prosthetist. ...
www.library.kent.edu/speccoll/ literature/prose/bio.html - 2k - Cached - Similar pages
vt53
Woodhelvennin

Post by vt53 »

In all my readings of TCTC I never imagined her in a bra, they like the giants stand tall and proud on their own :twisted:
" a universe with no edge in space, no begining or end in time"
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Considering what Skyweir said at the beginning of this thread, I wouldn't have thought that Serpreme's original question belonged here. (My answer is: You go get leprosy, then have your wife leave you and take your son, and you'll change your question to "Why isn't TC a whole lot <I>more</I> PO'd than he is?") But appropriate for the thread or not, it led to this post of Sevothtarte's.
Sevothtarte wrote:My opinion: yes, the more Covenant is PO, the stronger his hatred, the stronger is Foul. Foul is his mirror, his dark side. In WGW, after his purification in the fire, Covenant is at peace with himself. He's accepting and understanding. He doesn't blindly try to destroy Foul, it wouldn't have worked. He accepts his own dark side and takes the full blast of it - the literal blasts of energy Foul throws at him symbolize this - thus he's able to overcome it. No denial, no burying, no self-destruction. Accept your own dark side, your own faults and you will grow as a person. You will overcome your dark side.

And I'm <I>absolutely positive</I> that the way I'm about to expand on this thought is not appropriate. So I'll do it on General Discussion. If anybody's interested, the thread is called <I>Hillman</I>.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

ROFL! totally off topic but i love ur sig, rofl!! :haha:

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

:) Dr. Seuss rules!!
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon

Post by Guest »

what does PO mean?
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Post Office? Privately Ordained? Previous Onanism?

heh heh. In this sense it means (obscenity alert)
Spoiler
pissed off
-George Steiner

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”