TC Musings, Q & A, Dissecting Against All Things Ending

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

That's interesting...my first thought was somewhere in NM too, because that is where SRD is from. But, isn't NM mostly desert?
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

NM is much more than desert! I kno NM inspired the Land but where TC is from is another story...SRD came here from Ohio, so...that's the analogy I kinda see btween TC and the Land. I'm originally from NJ but I thought I had arrived in a completly different world when I 1st came out here! :D
fall far and well Pilots!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Yeah, I mention I'm from Nevada and people automatically assume sand and joshua trees. The desert is a beautiful place (best sunsets in the world, imo), and often different mile by mile.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

U'll get some mindblowing sunsets when u get 2 Elohimfest Syl!!! :D
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

A friend of mine lives in AZ and the sunsets there are gorgeous...like the sky is fire. I've got lots of pics of them...

Maybe I'll scan a few and put them in the album?
And I believe in you
I will remember you

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
ringthane
Stonedownor

Post by ringthane »

Caer Sylvanus wrote:Yeah, I mention I'm from Nevada and people automatically assume sand and joshua trees. The desert is a beautiful place (best sunsets in the world, imo), and often different mile by mile.
It's strange, I live in Phoenix (actually Scottsdale) and I often drive to Nevada and New Mexico for weekend getaways and concerts or whatever. The drive to Vegas is great because it's a completely different looking desert - almost Mars-like just south of Vegas. New Mexico on the other hand is kinda strange. My grandmother willed me some property just outside of Albuquerque (Rio Rancho/Bernalillo). My wife and I took the 8 hour drive to check it out, excited to think we could have free acres of land to build our dream cabin. We finally make it to our property after about 15 miles of unpaved sand/dirt roads, we saw the lots and were like 'no way -- we're heading back to Arizona!'

It's funny how you mention everyone thinks Nevada is desert. The wife and I are planning a trip through Reno and Elko, and that's about as far from desert as you can get.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

That's not the most prime land in NM...too bad--we call that area the Grey Desert! 8O
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Ah, that stretch of I-80 is the worst, and I can't tell you how many times I've traveled it. There are some great points off of it, however (between Lovelock and Fernley (my home town) is about where the 40 mile desert is... claimed a lot of lives back in the frontier days and still claims a lot of radiators of the unprepared). If you're up near Elko, I highly recommend making a trip up to Lamoille Canyon, my favorite place in the world. Great camping and hiking from mid-summer to early fall.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

mmm .. sounds good ;)
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
DarkReflection

Post by DarkReflection »

I always thought that Haven Farm was in Maine. I dont remember exactly why but I had this strong feeling that it was. Infact I hadn't even thought otherwise until I read this thread.
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

DarkReflection wrote:I always thought that Haven Farm was in Maine. I dont remember exactly why but I had this strong feeling that it was. Infact I hadn't even thought otherwise until I read this thread.
Same here. I didn't necessarily envision Maine, but I pictured a rural town in the North East of the US (can't recall if it was ever mentioned.) The mere mention of woods, creeks, farms, rural towns ( with some peculiar residents) reminds me of a few places I've visited in the NE.
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
ringthane
Stonedownor

Post by ringthane »

Tulizar wrote:
DarkReflection wrote:I always thought that Haven Farm was in Maine. I dont remember exactly why but I had this strong feeling that it was. Infact I hadn't even thought otherwise until I read this thread.
Same here. I didn't necessarily envision Maine, but I pictured a rural town in the North East of the US (can't recall if it was ever mentioned.) The mere mention of woods, creeks, farms, rural towns ( with some peculiar residents) reminds me of a few places I've visited in the NE.
Yep, same here. The descriptions sounded very similar to where I grew up in Pennsylvania -- lots of woods and hills (and horse farms). I also envisioned father north and east, such as New England.

There are a few other descriptions though -- like where Linden speaks to the old man in the robe -- where it doesn't feel at all like the northeast and has more of a midwest or southern vibe.

The cool thing is that Donaldson made it just vague enough that virtually anyone could think that Haven Farm was somewhere near their home town. :)
Tulizar
Bloodguard

Post by Tulizar »

ringthane wrote:The cool thing is that Donaldson made it just vague enough that virtually anyone could think that Haven Farm was somewhere near their home town. :)
Nicely put! It's simply one more thing SRD does right. :!:
Proverbs for Paranoids #3.

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about answers.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

ringthane wrote:The cool thing is that Donaldson made it just vague enough that virtually anyone could think that Haven Farm was somewhere near their home town. :)
Not mine :lol:
ringthane
Stonedownor

Post by ringthane »

CovenantJr wrote:
Not mine :lol:
Hence my use of 'virtually anyone.' :D
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

haha lol .. nor mine ;) ;) ;)

but i'd definately pictured a north eastern US rural area too .. lol
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

If the Righter's Creek info points to the SE Pennsylvainia area 4 Haven Farm's locale how do rattlesnakes get there? That kinda messes up the NE US/New England theories-rats! :?

I have a question but was wary about starting an entire thread on it: What is the name of Bannor's Raynhyn? Is it ever mentioned in the Chrons? Only once, or so? It's not that easy to find, if it is....
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

ah! a quest! :)

*starts pouring over her books...*
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I was wrong! 8O Did a quick Google and there is a species of rattlesnake in the NE US which inhabits the Maryland/Southern Pennsylvania area (and then spreads west toward southern Ohio, btw...) -the Timber Rattlesnake which is considered to be the most venomous snake in the northeastern United States! 8O (I grew up in the NE and had never heard of rattlesnakes ever being there... 8) )
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

You?? Wrong?? 8O 8O 8O Never!! :lol:

Actually, in LFB it's stated that he goes "down to Louisianna" to the Leprosarium. So, that suggests that Haven Farm is probably in the NE somewhere. I wonder why Donaldson never named the town or the state for that matter. Maybe he wanted to keep it generic so that people would feel that Haven Farm could be anywhere...
And I believe in you
I will remember you

Image Image

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”