TC Musings, Q & A, Dissecting Against All Things Ending

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Good news! Welcome back Soulquest! But people usually announce their returns in The Summonsing or Gen. Discussion!...
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

SoulQuest1970 wrote:I just wanted to say hello again and let everyone know I am back online. I finally got a job! A real one! One that uses the schooling I made it through! I like... get paid enough to support me and my kids without the child support that I never see! lol I am so happy!
Congratulations, SoulQuest! That's good news!! 8)
Love as thou wilt.

SoulQuest1970
The Gap Into Spam

Post by SoulQuest1970 »

Thanks and oops! I was in a hurry and saw Announcement and didn't read the subject. I will say hello in the right place next time. :)
If women were in charge, the military would have to do bake sales in order to buy more weapons.

"You can always procrastinate later."
-me

"I'm not fat. I'm FLUFFY!"
- Garfield

"We live we love
We forgive and never give up
Cuz the days we are given are gifts from above
Today we remember to live and to love"

-"We Live"
by Superchick
Edelaith
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Edelaith »

Hello all, Edelaith here. I'm brand new to this forum.
I thought I'd place my first questions here.

We know the Ritual of Desecration wrought by High Lord Kevin was a pretty bad thing. The Old Lords and all their works perished. The Desolation of the Land came about.
What form exactly did the Ritual take? Was it a giant fire, an outgrowth of what Trell was attempting? Or was it more like a dark magic that struck down everything living, so that people and trees alike just withered and died on the spot? Or did it take another form?

Why did Andelain, the Forests, and the physical structure of Revelstone survive the Ritual? (I realize other areas were destroyed or permanently ruined, although I do not know what they were.)
KATIE
Servant of the Land

Post by KATIE »

Welcom Edelaith

I believe that Andelain survived because of the
concentrated amout of earth power there.
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Equally, I assume Revelstone survived because it's just that good.

Also, anyone who would know what the Ritual was like, looked like, or did exactly.... well, they'd be dead. I guess someone should have asked dead Kevin.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

i assumed the RoD would be differnet for each desicrator
for instance trell he wasa gravlingas so used fire etc
i think kevin mabye burned the whole Land with a huge ball of Lords Fire
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

That sounds possible. But it was also combined with Lord Foul's power...
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Cord Gary
Servant of the Land

Post by Cord Gary »

I always envisioned the Ritual as something not unlike a nuclear explosion (minus the radiation) -- just a complete unleashing of the most destructive capabilities of nature in a single violent instant.

But that's just me. :)
ur-vile loremaster
Servant of the Land

Post by ur-vile loremaster »

It might resemble the blastwave unleashed when the One Ring is destroyed in LOTR: TROTK: a deep bass note and creatures destroyed instantly on impact.
Eat my vitriol!
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Welcome Servants of the Land and new members!

You now have an active moderator in the Thomas Covenant Discussion forum. I will scan this forum on a regular basis in an attempt to remove spam, inappropriate language and unnecessary topics. If any important announcements regarding the forum are posted you'll find them here. If you need to notify me in regards to serious problems I would prefer that you attempt to send me a personal message. If you have concerns that may involve membership feedback you can list them here. In anycase please contact me first (either in PM or here) lets work together to improve this forum and address any problems without having to hassle the Adminstrators--who have enough to do anyway.

If you post in this topic:
Please limit your posting to important forum based announcements and suggestions.
If you can't find me though a PM or I'm off on personal business go ahead and post the problem here or attempt to PM Skyweir before contacting the board Admin.

some simple rules:
New members please go to Summonsing forum above to introduce yourselves-any intro topic you create here may be moved there.

No foul language or personal attacks (this is part of the terms you argee to when you register on this board).

Please keep you topics centered on The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, if not they will moved to a more appropriate forum.

If you want to post anything about RUNES OF THE EARTH please go the the RUNES forum. IF YOU FEEL COMPELLED TO POST ABOUT SOMETHING RELATED TO RUNES IN THIS FORUM-please post large warnings and use the spoiler function to cover your post up. (Or I may have to do it for you...)

Note: If, (like chapter 1 of the Runes prolougue) other chapters of the new book become available on the Official S. R. Donaldson website-please confine that discussion to the Dissecting the Land forum.

If there's one thing I'm very serious about here is confining and putting spoiler blackouts on anything concerning Runes of the Earth, I have even blacked out my Chapter 5 Donaldson read summary in The News that sets SRD Fandom on Fire topic, '04 Bubonicon Runes Read and '05 Bubonicon Fatal Revenant Read.

One last thing:

I know this is a large forum- at least try, to scan the back pages of this forum to find a comparable topic before you create your own-and contribute your thoughts there. For instance: Bloodguard, Elohim, Hile Troy, Ur-Viles, Creator and Lord Foul topics have been repeated frequently so please try to find those topics before creating your own. Thanks. (aslo try not to double post...)

New Members do be warned: If you haven't read all the books you may come across topics with open spoilers in them-they are well marked-read them at your own risk...

----------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The immensely popular Gradual Interview thread, since it entails all his work, has been moved to General SRD Discussion.
Pitchbrew
Servant of the Land

The reason Covenant is so PO'ed

Post by Pitchbrew »

His anger is the outlet for his frustration, he is paying the price of leprosy. Self hatred the only way that he can realize this and the only to fight this is through anger. Anger first at himself, and then at the disease. If it were simply about Foul, his anger would not have been powerful at all. In LFB when the two first met Covenant wasn't angry at Foul at first, he was simply despairing, but Foul called him a groveler and that changed his attitude, and his reason for hating Foul is because, as he told Linden in TWL Foul laughs at lepers. But the root of Covenants anger is because of the leprosy. As I said it is direct and indirect. He hates himself for having it and he hates the disease because he has it. The reason he hates himself is beacuse of the hurt that is caused to his marriage which separated him from his wife. Even though he eventually got with linden his love was to joan. and his sacrifice as well. That was what made it possible to smile for joan because he didn't want to hurt her again, and he felt that at last he was making atonement for the crime of leprosy. By giving himself away for her. Which Ironically is the same action he does for the land and ironically again Joan seems to be in the same shape as the land......really makes you think doesn't it?
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I just want to say that it's great to see so much new interest in this forum again.
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

Do we ever see Linden or Covenant reading anything in the Land?

I'm mildly curious as to whether they write in English. I remember when they encounter Llaura after the Battle of Soaring Woodhelven, Covenant suggests that she writes down the message... which made me wonder if, if she had been able to write, would he have been able to read it?
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Just a small thing i noticed do my reread in the Chapter containing the Test of Truth for TC, Baradakas refers to the 'Staff of Life' which was cut from the One Tree.

Is this a mistake on SRD's part or does he call it that for a reason?
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

He probebly meant from the One Forest. (being the origional Land)
It's doubtfull the woodhelvenes in that time had any idea what-or where- the onetree was.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Another thing i noticed was that when TC and FF arrive at Revelstone Prothall is said to be ' in the North ' or something to that effect.

Wonder where he was? Isnt it said there is very little to the North. Therw are no Woodhellvin or Stonedowns north of Revelstone.

Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

drew wrote:He probebly meant from the One Forest. (being the origional Land)
It's doubtfull the woodhelvenes in that time had any idea what-or where- the onetree was.
Maybe not where, but surely they'd know what? The know about the Staff of Law don't they?

--A
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Warmark wrote:Another thing i noticed was that when TC and FF arrive at Revelstone Prothall is said to be ' in the North ' or something to that effect.

Wonder where he was? Isnt it said there is very little to the North. Therw are no Woodhellvin or Stonedowns north of Revelstone.
Prothall's home was said to be "in the north," IIRC.
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

At the beginning of TIW, I think it was Mhoram that told Covenant that Prothall left his High Lordship almost before he returned to Lord's Keep from the Quest for the Staff of Law, and went off to become Unfettered, off to the North, which was where he hailed from. I assumed at the time that meant he was from Giant Woods or further north off the map in First Chronicles, but now I wonder if they only meant the craggy shepherding land north of Revelstone that was mentioned elsewhere.

Now, about the bitter cold that Cov and Linden encountered in the north trying to get back to Revelstone in 2nd Chrons, was that just the natural winter weather pattern for being that far north, or was this an over-reaction to the Sunbane and the Arghule, meaning that the North wasn't supposed to be as Arctic as what they encountered? Just trying to figure out if Prothall was from an Arctic region, or merely on the cooler side of temperate?

DW
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”