TC Musings, Q & A, Dissecting Against All Things Ending

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

IIRC, Prothall went back to his home in the Northron Climbs, but I don't recall him taking the Rites of Unfettering.

Also, I think the "arctic" north was colder due to the arghule. I don't have the books here now, but I seem to remember SRD mentioning the arghule as the cause for the bitter cold. (The First maybe mentioned something during the trek?)

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

I've forgotten what happened to the krill in the SC. I don't think it's mentioned at all in Runes, but I'm sure I'd remember if it had been destroyed or lost in the SC. Anyone?
DukkhaWaynhim
The Gap Into Spam

Post by DukkhaWaynhim »

Didn't it just stay with Sunder in Andelain after Hollian's death? I can't remember either...

DW
"God is real, unless declared integer." - Unknown
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I'm fairly sure it is stuck in a tre stump after sunder used it to Kill Troy. Didnt he turn into a stump when he died?
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

I thought it was a tree, not a stump, for the SECOND time in his lifetime.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

WGW, chapter 14:
Then, before the sight became unendurable, the fire began to subside. by slow stages, the conflagration changed to an ordinary fire, yellow with heat and eaten wood, and she saw it burning from the black and blasted stump of a tree trunk which had not been there when Caer-Caveral was struck.

Stabbed deep into the charred wood beyond any hope of removal was the krill. Only the flames that licked the stump made it visible: the light of its gem was gone.
stonemaybe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by stonemaybe »

'beyond any hope of removal'?????????????????????????? :cry:

NO! I refuse to believe!

The krill is great. Possibly my fave bit in all the Chronicles is in 'Lord Mhoram's Victory' when he realises the krill is burning white again. You can just feel that ecstacy of hope, and know the big M is going to kick some raver ass! The krill deserves a place of honour in the Last Chronicles!

I reckon it'd be damn good against those pesky demondim. :biggrin:
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Probabley a typo but in TIW just before Koriks mission leaves the Bloodgaurd say ''First and Faith'' instead of ''Fist and Faith''.

Anyone else got this is their copies?
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

NightBlaze
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by NightBlaze »

LOL Warmark. I seen that. Maybe our favorite author is/was a prophet?
¥ NightBlaze ¥
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

The Runes of the Earth group read begins June 1st! Go to Dissecting the Land right now to sign up! 8)
iQuestor
The Gap Into Spam

Post by iQuestor »

Why doesn't Hile Troy's summon fail when Atarian dies in the act of summoning him? Isn't it <b>Law</b> that the person summoned goes back when the summoner dies?
------------------------------------------------
ur-bane wrote:IIRC, Prothall went back to his home in the Northron Climbs, but I don't recall him taking the Rites of Unfettering.

Also, I think the "arctic" north was colder due to the arghule. I don't have the books here now, but I seem to remember SRD mentioning the arghule as the cause for the bitter cold. (The First maybe mentioned something during the trek?)

the arguleh definately caused the cold, with the help of the croyel, which also allowed them to get over their hatred of each other enough to form an army.

---------------------------------------------------
Stonemaybe wrote:I've forgotten what happened to the krill in the SC. I don't think it's mentioned at all in Runes, but I'm sure I'd remember if it had been destroyed or lost in the SC. Anyone?

It was stuck in the stump left from Hile's Corpse. TC can barely see the glow from the gem through the charred wood.

I think it will show up in 3rd chronicles.

I also think that in the third chronicles, TC, by going back in time, will turn out to be Damelon GiantFriend, or Berek himself. He can't be Kevin, because of the spectre, but think on this. What if Linden turned out to be the Queen? When you read it, remember I called it first here. :)
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

dlbpharmd wrote:WGW, chapter 14:
Then, before the sight became unendurable, the fire began to subside. by slow stages, the conflagration changed to an ordinary fire, yellow with heat and eaten wood, and she saw it burning from the black and blasted stump of a tree trunk which had not been there when Caer-Caveral was struck.

Stabbed deep into the charred wood beyond any hope of removal was the krill. Only the flames that licked the stump made it visible: the light of its gem was gone.
:D No light in the gem I'm afraid.

--A
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

iquestor wrote:Why doesn't Hile Troy's summon fail when Atarian dies in the act of summoning him? Isn't it <b>Law</b> that the person summoned goes back when the summoner dies?
I think they switched places when they were summoned so Atarian died in place of Troy and he survived.

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

That's the way that I understand it as well.
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Warmark wrote:
iquestor wrote:Why doesn't Hile Troy's summon fail when Atarian dies in the act of summoning him? Isn't it <b>Law</b> that the person summoned goes back when the summoner dies?
I think they switched places when they were summoned so Atarian died in place of Troy and he survived.
I'm pretty sure it's more to do with the fact that Hile Troy died in the real world while he was being summoned. That seems to disconnect you, and you are no longer unsummoned. (You also, somehow, become free to become more.)

The same basic process led to Covenant remaining in the Land at the end of WGW.

Donaldson speaks about this very clearly in the GI:
In the Gradual Interview was wrote:I always assumed that the accident by which Hile Troy was transported to the Land did eventually kill him. I can understand his body could've survived for the relatively short time he spend in the land as the Warmark. However, Troy didn't die in the Land until the "White Gold Wielder", after ten years' time in the "real world". I understood that when one dies in the "real world", he also dies in the Land (as happened to Thomas Covenant). Even though Troy as Caer-Cavernal wasn't entirely human, he wasn't Dead (as Covenant in the end). So, how was it possible for Troy's body to keep living for such a long period of time without his mind present?
  • In the most literal sense, death in the "real world" for a character like Hile Troy, or Thomas Covenant, simply means that character can no longer return to his/her "real" life. But of course the implications go much farther (and are explored more fully in "The Last Chronicles"). Literal death in the Land as well is a significant possibility. But neither Troy nor Covenant actually died in the Land: rather they were transformed; became beings of an entirely different kind. In Troy's case, a series of transformations were involved, resulting in a new Forestal. In Covenant's case, the destruction of his mortality freed his spirit to support the Arch of Time (the fact that he retains some form of sentient identity is demonstrated by his ability to speak to Linden during her translation back to her "real" life). In both cases, huge powers were required to cause transformation instead of literal death. So: literal death in the "real world" does not *necessarily* impose extinction in the Land. In the "real world," Troy's body suffered literal death not long after his accident.

(11/21/2004)
frankELF
Ramen

Post by frankELF »

PO means very angry.
Kokopelli would be a cool avatar for me.

Trees, by Joyce Kilmer
- I think that I shall never see,
- A poem as lovely as a tree. (STOP READING poem FOREVER, here! Go look OUTDOORS.)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

If you're looking for my new Bubonicon Fatal Revenant read topic--it's now in the Fatal Revenant forum, which is open for posting, btw.
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Ur Dead »

Oh man.. I missed out on the talking point of the Firsts bra size..

Any changes since then??
What's this silver looking ring doing on my finger?
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Just a blast to let you know that we begin dissecting Fatal Revenant on Banas Nimoral May 6th. It's filling up fast but there are, at least, 6 chapters left-as of this post! See you there!
Beyondthebreach
Stonedownor

Post by Beyondthebreach »

danlo wrote:Just a blast to let you know that we begin dissecting Fatal Revenant on Banas Nimoral May 6th. It's filling up fast but there are, at least, 6 chapters left-as of this post! See you there!
Hey! May 6th is my daughter's 4th Birthday. I didn't even know it was Banas Nimoral. Cool! 8)

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”