What's your *LEAST* favorite characters out of the 3 series?

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

What's your *LEAST* favorite characters out of the 3 series?

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

#1 is the Worm.
If taken literally it has the potential to ruin all 3 series for me.
I hope that it is reworked into something other than a star devouring worm upon which the world is created.

My #2 are the Croyel.
I hate them and have no interest in them.
In the WGW I cringed when Hamako had to battle one.
I thought, ok, it was interesting the first time, now are we going see them all over the place?

#3 Jheherrin(sp?) Cute but holds little interest with me.

#4 Riders of the Clave
Always seemed weak an ineffective. They were suppossed to be feared but I never got that impression

Borderline characters:
Kresh: Liked them better just as large evil wolves. Now they seem larger and more intelligent

Merewives: They just seem "empty" to me. Maybe I need more info. But I'm not even curious about them they way they are written.

Cavewrights: Just dumb dumb dumb. I know that's the way they are supposed to be but..........

Bonus: Whatever happened to the Griffins? I loved them. Hopefully a few survived the same way the Kresh did.
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

I despise the Worm.

I want to smack the smug smile off of every Elohim.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Well Tolk..I'm sorry to say I dissagree with all of you disslikes; but I'm not going to get into a big disscussion right now -Although, the Kresh do seem a little tammer in Runes.

All of your choices, to me, were important, and got the right amount of screen time to add to the story, In my Oppinion.

There was one charactor in the 1st chrons who I felt didn't fit.
Hyrim..of Lord Hyrim if you will...He seemed more like a bumbling idiot to me-How did he get to be a Lord?
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Post by High Lord Tolkien »

drew wrote:Well Tolk..I'm sorry to say I dissagree with all of you disslikes; but I'm not going to get into a big disscussion right now -Although, the Kresh do seem a little tammer in Runes.

All of your choices, to me, were important, and got the right amount of screen time to add to the story, In my Oppinion.
Of course they are all important and serve a purpose but that wasn't the question.
Which ones didn't you like is the question.
drew wrote:There was one charactor in the 1st chrons who I felt didn't fit.
Hyrim..of Lord Hyrim if you will...He seemed more like a bumbling idiot to me-How did he get to be a Lord?
There's no Lord more powerful than one that knows how to cook!
Damelon was called Giantfriend *NOT* because of his welcome and aid to the Giants , no, it was because taught them how to cook a damn-fine stew! :lol:
https://thoolah.blogspot.com/

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!

Image Image Image Image
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

i really like the kresh and also i like the lurker
sorry these are the opposite of what you asked
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I don't really like Liand so far....
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

3 least favourite?... Hmmmm
I was not keen on Lena's father (sorry, bad with names .. the guy who commits desecration in the Close). I also really didn't like the Giant from the 2nd series who was mute due to his 'vision'. Perhaps it is not so much that I disliked him, but rather that I never developed any connection with him.
The last would be Drool Rockworm. This character to me seems like the weakest of all. A tool of the most obvious and boring type. Barely animate to me.
<shrug>
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

i found Drool amusingly insane!
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
dennisrwood
The Gap Into Spam

Post by dennisrwood »

I really dislike Thomas.
weak, ineffectual for most of the series. a rapist.
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

#1 I disklike the Worm. I find the Creator / Worm situation unsettling. (though it would be fun to wake up and rip appart a planet!)

#2 I don't dislike them, but do agree - I'd like to smack the Elohim's smug silly faces!

#Linden! Her incessant whining has me wanting to smack HER!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Rukh
Stonedownor

Most Hated Characters in All 3 Series

Post by Rukh »

Well, I think that almost all of charcters are well conceived, so there are not many that I dislike in terms of thinking that they were not right for the story. But, thee ones that I hate the most, in terms just of their nature, it would probably be the Elohim. They are so insufferabley arrogant and self-assured, and I am inclined to dislike anyone that plots to remove the ring from Covenant's grasp.
These are pale deaths which men miscall their lives...
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

By far the worst...

Post by lurch »

...The worst has to be Roger...then the numb butts members of the Sect who sacrificed TC..and geez..what about His Foulness Himself? ...MEL
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Post by Variol Farseer »

Sheriff Lytton. Not only is he a cartoon evil-pig-cop figure offstage in the first two series, he's still a cartoon when we get some face time with him in Runes. I find it very difficult to believe that a man so stupid, so callous, and so eager to offend people could hold an elected office for over 20 years. People talk about the generic, unmotivated evil of the Dark Lord in the typical schlock fantasy; well, the Sheriff is as generic, unmotivated, and evil as you please.

To cop a riff from Johnny Dangerously, it seems like Barton Lytton's sole purpose in life is to set the new world's record for being a fargin icehole.
Without the Quest, our lives will be wasted.
Sheriff Lytton
Giantfriend

Post by Sheriff Lytton »

Who, me ?

:whip: :bang:

Personally, I found a lot of those tree hugging hippy types in the first trilogy a bit irritating.
"Nom"
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Whoa 'dere!

Post by lurch »

...Both you guys would be alot funnier if we didn't have the model of Sherrif Lytton rite here in Maricopa County,,Sherrif Joe Arpaio. I'm telling ya, the Southwest is full of these " stereotypical " sheriffs,,and they DO get re-elected year after year after year....MEL
Sheriff Lytton
Giantfriend

Post by Sheriff Lytton »

That's really weird, because the Chief Constable where I live is a 7 foot tall undead former butler.
"Nom"
Variol Farseer
Bloodguard

Re: Whoa 'dere!

Post by Variol Farseer »

lurch wrote:...Both you guys would be alot funnier if we didn't have the model of Sherrif Lytton rite here in Maricopa County,,Sherrif Joe Arpaio. I'm telling ya, the Southwest is full of these " stereotypical " sheriffs,,and they DO get re-elected year after year after year....MEL
They must have some redeeming qualities. I think it was Megan Roman who said that Sheriff Lytton had 'just enough humanity to get himself re-elected every two years'. Well, fine, that may be: but why haven't we seen any of it? SRD doesn't usually give us cardboard characters, but in my opinion, Barton Lytton is one.
Without the Quest, our lives will be wasted.
Sergio
Woodhelvennin

My least favorite character? Oh that's easy.

Post by Sergio »

My least favorite character? Oh that's easy.

Jar Jar Binks.

Oops...wrong forum. 8O
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
Edelaith
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Edelaith »

My least favorite character?

I honestly don't have any.
I was EXTREMELY angry with, and EXTREMELY frustrated with, Thomas Covenant in the first Chronicles. Yet, I can't say he was my least favorite character.
I would have liked to have seen him TORTURED for what he did to Lena, but I can't say he's my least favorite. Go figure. (sighs)

In the Second Chronicles, Findail was decidedly unlikeable. In an atmosphere where everyone else was working towards a greater goal, Findail was out for Number One, and if everyone else had to suffer and die, too bad. Findail made Kasreyn look nice in comparison.
It got on my nerves when Brinn and Cail demanded Lindens' death on Starfares' Gem. It was most pleasant when Covenant put them in their places. The Haruchai have their good points, but their Absolutism is a problem.
I guess my least favorite 'character' in the Second Chronicles was the Sunbane. And it became my least favorite character when it broke into Andelain. That HURT. That was extremely unpleasant. And it made me want to scream at all of them to BUILD A RAFT AND GET TO MOUNT THUNDER FAST, YOU IDIOTS.

My least favorite character in the Last Chronicles?
Roger's a nice little sociopath. Perhaps he makes it.
The leader of the Haruchai in Revelstone (his name slips my mind at the moment) is making for good competition with Roger, though. Stave has the audacity to tell him the simple truth, so he has to humiliate and exile Stave, and have him beat up in the process.
Hmmm ... he and Roger deserve each other ...
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Mahdoubt
Right now she to me she just seems like a loopy hick to me.

The chubby lord
I forget his name, but he just didn't seem to strike me as a powerful lord.

Liand
Kinda boring and uneventful character right now.
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”