What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Bannor
Giantfriend

Post by Bannor »

My feeling exactly, Infelice! Nice to meet others that feel the same way. I've been told that I'm stagnating, but actually at age 51, I don't feel the need to read a whole lot of new books. In my 20's and 30's I read a lot of authors. It may be an age thing, don't know. Any ideas? :?:
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

It may not be "an age thing " so much as it may be an"experience thing".
My mother ( age 55) is a much more avid reader than I am and she is constantly on the lookout for new books to read. Having said that there she does periodically reread the Earth`s Children series (Clan Of The Cave Bear) by Jean Auel, (personally I think she just likes to read the naughty bits).
Anyway my point is that she still needs to find newer literary experiences where maybe you, having previously read a variety of authors, may be satisfied with your experiences in literature and do not feel the need for more - I don`t call it stagnation, I call it satisfaction.
Well, that`s just my personal theory - you did ask (and I hope it makes sense). :)
Bannor
Giantfriend

Post by Bannor »

You make a lot of sense, Infelice. Never heard it put like that, but I believe you're correct: I am satisfied with my literary experiences, and I'm not looking for newer experiences. It's also a matter of time. I have so little of it that I don't want to waste any time getting "into" a book when I know I have books that I "know" I will enjoy. I'm the same way about music. Thanks for your insight (I have read some Bentley Little books, but he seems to be getting into formula writing). Image
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"Two thousand years."
Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

My pleasure, Bannor. I agree with you on the time issue as well, I operate on a very limited schedule although I find I`m devoting a lot more of my time to places like this - not that I`m complaing though - I just wish I could find a way to do without sleep and not go crazy. 8O
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Latro in the Mist by Gene Wolfe. It's an omnibus edition of the two Latro books, who's name I can't recall right now. And, George RR Martin's A Game of Thrones. Yep, it's my first time.
Last edited by Lord Mhoram on Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I finally received Gardens of the Moon by Steve Erickson from Alibris. had to cancel my Amazon order as it had been about a half a year (no exaggeration) and I still had not received it. I'm enjoying it thus far. very gritty. Reminds me of GRR Martin.

P.S.
I envy you Mhoram in that you get to experience those three wonderful volumes of A Song of Fire and Ice for the first time. It's outstanding stuff! :D
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Indeed! Have a magical time, Lord Protector! :D
I am nearly done with the book on Japanese myths. I had a couple of hours break in between my kids' soccer games yesterday and spread out a blanket in a patch of violets next to the River and read my book and fell asleep listening to all fo the birds singing. :D
I think I might read a horror book by Dan Simmons next, The Song of Kali. And then Kiln People by David Brin. :D
And of course, I've been working on the special Westeros issue of that magazine. :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

DirectorDios
<i>Elohim</i>

SRD Style?

Post by DirectorDios »

Can anyone suggest a short list of suggested reading that is in the style, scope and character developement of Donaldson? Besides SRD, I am an avid reader of Frank & Brian Herbert, Isaac Asimov and the fictional books of L Ron Hubbard. The problem is I find myself continually returning to the same books by these 3 authors and rereading what I have already read! I tried reading the 2nd Foundation series of books but was completely put off by them, esp book 1. I tried the Wheel of Time series but again, it didn't keep my attention. I've also tried Robert Silverbergs, "The Face of the Waters" and William Gibson and Bruce Sterlings, "The Difference Engine." Neither of these authors books could keep my attention either. I read Orson Scott Cards, "Enders Game" and found it mildly entertaining but couldn't get into the follow-up books and Greg Bear I simply despise. I've read several Star Wars books and although they are entertaining to a certain degree, they lack the depth of story I enjoy that is the trademark of Herbert and SRD. SO, that said...can anyone lead me in the right direction? I much prefer sci-fi over fantasy but will give a fantasy book a try if it's of very high caliber such as TCTC or TLOTR. I look forward to your suggestions.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Try "Game of Thrones" by GRR Martin.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I know I'm a broken record but The 4 Neverness books by David Zindell; Neverness, The Broken God, The Wild and War in Heaven r perfect 4 some1 who likes SRD AND Herbert! Grand in scope and character developement...
fall far and well Pilots!
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe if you're up for a challenge. A lot of people find it hard to get into, but I didn't have much of a problem with it whereas I could never get into Asimov.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

Anything by Neil Stephenson. Particularly Cryptonomicon.
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I finally got done with my book of Japanese mythology, and am starting Dan Simmons's Song of Kali, a horror-fantasy sort of thing. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Ryzel
Bloodguard

Re: SRD Style?

Post by Ryzel »

DirectorDios wrote:Can anyone suggest a short list of suggested reading that is in the style, scope and character developement of Donaldson?
I hope you are not really asking for that kind of quality, because books like that is so rare that they are almost impossible to find. However there are some books that I would recommend to you. You say that you have read Ender's Game, and some of the sequels. If you have you will know that Orson Scott Card varies widely in quality. But I would recommend the "Alvin Maker" series of his to you. It is a five book story set in an alternate colonial america. Alvin is born with great gifts of magic, and the story concerns his growing up and learning to live with and use these gifts.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Bannor
Giantfriend

Post by Bannor »

I love Alvin's Chipmunk records! :gandalf: Image
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"Two thousand years."
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I'm reading Kiln People by David Brin now. The only problem is I keep thinking of the cloned-Fists at the Hangar chatroom and start giggling hysterically... :P :lol: 8)
Last edited by duchess of malfi on Sat May 24, 2003 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love as thou wilt.

zombieace
Servant of the Land

Post by zombieace »

I'm currently reading The Witches of Karres by James H. Schmitz (for the third time). I Just finished reading The Cat Who Walks Through Walls (Heinlien, one of my favorite authors).
Dag son of Dag
Ramen

Post by Dag son of Dag »

Im reading the His Dark Materials series by Philip Pullman..I`ve just started the third and last book. Quite good.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin. I'm hooked :)
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Amazon keeps recommending The Forever War by Joe Haldeman to me so I picked it up at Borders yesterday. :D

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”