What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Yes, I also find Martin to be addictive! Now hurry along, Good Ser, so you can join our Storm of Swords group read! :D
I've got to read those Pullman books someday -- I keep hearing lots and lots of good things about them! 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Bannor
Giantfriend

Post by Bannor »

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of The Drowning World by Alan Dean Foster: author of Midworld and the Flinx books. Wonderful stuff! :D
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Ser Mhoram...has a certain ring to it!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

That's because you are a true knight! :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I'm thinking of making my title The Protector of Lord's Keep after this title. 8)
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Bannor wrote:I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of The Drowning World by Alan Dean Foster: author of Midworld and the Flinx books. Wonderful stuff! :D
I read some AD Foster myself, although I must say that the quality is variable. Personally I like Midworld, Icerigger, Nor Crystal Tears and Prism the best. The Flinx books are good, but the best one is probably The Tar-Aiym Krang.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I finished up Kiln People while waiting for my power to come back this morning and think I'll start Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley next. It's the novelization of the myths about Cassandra, a figure in both the Trojan War and the Oresteia.
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I really enjoyed Firebrand by Marion Zimmer Bradley, now I'm moving on to Damnation Alley by Zelazny. 8)
Last edited by duchess of malfi on Sat May 24, 2003 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love as thou wilt.

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

A Storm of Swords. I'm pacing myself, awaiting A Feast for Crows.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

We're prob at the same place in Storm of Swords, which I finally stared reading again after being lost in TIW & TOT...
fall far and well Pilots!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

The latest round of rumors over at ASOIAF indicate anywhere from another six months to A Feast For Crows to Martin only be about halfway finished writing it. So who knows when it will appear? :? :?

I finished Roger Zelazny's Damnation Alley and have moved on to rereading another book by the same author, Creatures of Light and Darkness, which might be one of the weirdest books ever written -- but also incredibly creative and cool. Who cares if you have to do multiple reads to figure out what in blazes is going on? :lol: 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Picked up 1st edition Foundations' Edge In the used book store Saturday. Reading the series again now. I just love the way Asimov ties everything together in his later books. 8)
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I'm nearly done with the Zelazny book, I'm probably going to start a YA series called the Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce next...
Love as thou wilt.

Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I was browsing around at Borders on my lunch hour. Of course I had to buy something since, when walking in, they handed me a paper bag giving me 10% off on any books purchased. I bought Iain Banks' Excession. I had read Consider Phlebas, by Banks, and liked it. So I thought I'd give it a shot.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Damelon, how was The Forever War? Amazon keeps recommending that one to me, too...
I've moved on to Tales From Watership Down, a short-story collection and sequel to the novel. I am enjoying it! :)
Love as thou wilt.

Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

Hi duchess!
duchess of malfi wrote:I'm nearly done with the Zelazny book, I'm probably going to start a YA series called the Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce next...
Creatures of Light and Darkness is great! :D The way that guys mind worked - trully inspired! Have you read 'Lord of Light'? Wonderful book :)

Also i understand you are a huge Martin fan. Have you read 'Tuf Voyaging'? I think it's one of his very best, and way ahead of its time

By the by, ive just finished the first of the Alanna books - i had to read it for a uni subject (Kid's Lit.) I can see why they are so popular with YA's, but i found some of it's implicit ideologies quite disturbing. Have you read it yet, if so what do you think?
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Earthfriend, I love both Zelazny and Martin. Of Martin I have read ASOIAF, and have recently purchased Windhaven, which I hope to read soon...I have not read the book that you mentioned, but maybe someday...and of Zelazny, I have read Lord of Light and think it's an absolutely wonderful read! :D
The Song of the Lioness irritated me somewhat. The main character had too many things going for her -- she seemed to be more of a superhero than a girl. It's not enough that she trains to be a fighter and a knight, does she really have to a magic user and a healer, too? I am also tired of the fantasy cliche of the character who happens to make his living as a thief, but is secretly a noble and heroic man. Bilbo was great -- but he wasn't really a thief either...but somehow the noble thief has become a fantasy staple. I also wish Allanna could have found a way to defeat the bully by using her brains rather than physical fighting. And dirty street fighting at that...but I think my main complaint is that I had wanted to read something light and fun, and this wasn't. I should have read something by Terry Pratchett instead!! :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

I'm reading Erickson's "Deadhouse Gates". Enjoying it more than "Gardens of the Moon" which didn't blow me away like I thought it would. Well worth delving into the sequel but not the spectacular read I was looking for....It was incredibly dense and may fare better after a reread or two. 8)
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Earthfriend--my link, Endless Shadows, is a Roger Zelazny board!
Earthfriend
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Earthfriend »

duchess of malfi wrote:Earthfriend, I love both Zelazny and Martin. Of Martin I have read ASOIAF, and have recently purchased Windhaven, which I hope to read soon...I have not read the book that you mentioned, but maybe someday...and of Zelazny, I have read Lord of Light and think it's an absolutely wonderful read! :D
The Song of the Lioness irritated me somewhat. The main character had too many things going for her -- she seemed to be more of a superhero than a girl.... I also wish Allanna could have found a way to defeat the bully by using her brains rather than physical fighting.
I'll be interested to hear what you think of Windhaven, duchess. I found it a difficult but rewarding read, though i generally don't like collaborations. If you ever see 'Tuf Voyaging' anywhere it will probably be in a secondhand store - BUY IT IMMEDIATELY!!! I think you'll really love it :D

As to Alanna, i couldn't agree with you more! I thought Alanna was your standard, male fantasy hero, with a few 'bits' missing :wink: And i, too, think that the lesson it has for its readers - namely, that conformity and violence is the answer - is quite inappropriate for YA's.
Stone and Sea are deep in life,
two unalterable symbols of the world;
permanence at rest, and permanence in motion;
participants in the Power that remains.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”