What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

The Dawn of Amber, a prequel to Zelazny's Amber series by...some author who I've never heard of...
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

The Illearth War. :) VEEEEERY HAPPY!!!!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Book three of Amber. I have them all in one HUGE volume, and everytime I pull it out at my breaks at work, someone or other curses when they see the size of the thing. :| :roll: :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Despite my five hour nap yesterday afternoon and then staying up to 3AM in the Ahira's Hangar chatroom with Danlo, Lord Foul, and Damelon, I still have managed to make it to book 4 of Amber. :lol: :lol: But it's off to work soon, so I don't think I'll get much further today. :|
Love as thou wilt.

Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

Bannor wrote:More Tales from Watership Down is excellent, but not nearly as good as the first. Have you read Watership Down?
OMG. There`s a sequel to Watership Down? I love that book too. I first read it in 1980 when I was 16. I love the the "rabbit mythology" of El-ahrairah and Frith. And my pets know the lawn mower, vacuum cleaner and car as hrududu.

At the present time I`m re-reading The Silmarillion. I`m up to the Chapter "Of Beren and Luthien" *sigh*. :roll:
Bannor
Giantfriend

Post by Bannor »

You have reached the height of Watership Down fanship! When you start naming things after the book, you're in! Glad to meet another fan. (I have a Fiver in my classroom) :D
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
BobLind
Servant of the Land

Post by BobLind »

David Gemmell Stormrider
Distinctly, he articulated one clear word:
'Nom.'
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I finally finished up the Great Book of Amber, which was a great read. I think next I'll read a book I picked up on Japanese mythology. 8)
Love as thou wilt.

Dag son of Dag
Ramen

Post by Dag son of Dag »

I`m about to begin reading Lord Valentine`s Castle by Robert Silverberg.
dukkha
Ramen

Post by dukkha »

Dag son of Dag wrote:I`m about to begin reading Lord Valentine`s Castle by Robert Silverberg.
Let me know what you think; I loved that book when I was younger.

I'm shockingly reading SRD again. But I'm psyched to get all of these suggestions! I'm definitely going to be trying Amber.
Mick Axbrewder
Servant of the Land

Post by Mick Axbrewder »

Lord of Light is amazing. I've read it like 10 times. I'm reading the Silmarillion; really interesting stuff. I kind of wish SRD would put together some kind of past-history. Hey, maybe I'll post a thread on that!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Lord of Light IS a great book! I read that one fairly recently, too. :)

I'm enjoying my book on Japanese mythology. I didn't know anything about it coming into the book, and I'm already starting to make some mental connections with one of the characters in Amber! :lol:

Zelazny used a lot of mythology in his books -- Indian subcomtinent in Lord of Light, Greek in This Immortal, ancient Egyptian in Creatures of Light and Darkness, and I had thought a bit of Arthurian stuff in Amber, but I think just a touch of Japanese mythology in the character of Prince Benedict, too! :)
Love as thou wilt.

Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Lord of Light is great. And Benedict is way cool, although I know nothing about japanese mythology.

Currently I am not really reading any fantasy books, but that is going to change. Probably I am going to see if Well of the Unicorn is any good.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

The Harper Hall of Pern. For the 20th time.
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

Is that special or do you read all Pern books that many times?
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

I've read every book in the house that many times or more. *mutters something about the library*
Bannor
Giantfriend

Post by Bannor »

there's absolutely nothing wrong with rereading books, TF. I've always felt that books that we've read become our good friends, and who wants to visit good friends just once? The more we visit them, the more learn about them.

"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
Reisheiruhime
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Reisheiruhime »

I've read TWL over 30 times. I really like that book! :D
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I agree with Bannor--my favorite books have become friends of a sort, and I keep seeing new things in them. reading Lord Foul's bane as a married person with children in my thirties is a very different experience than reading it the first time as a teenager. The best books grow with me. :D
Love as thou wilt.

Infelice
Lord

Post by Infelice »

duchess of malfi wrote:I agree with Bannor--my favorite books have become friends of a sort, and I keep seeing new things in them. reading Lord Foul's bane as a married person with children in my thirties is a very different experience than reading it the first time as a teenager. The best books grow with me. :D

I totally agree with you duchess. I find that I develop a need or longing to revisit my favourite books, just to "touch base" with favourite characters and places and its amazing how different parts of the story seem to stand out more at each rereading.

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”