What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

A place for anything *not* Donaldson.

Moderator: I'm Murrin

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Post by duchess of malfi »

What fantasy/science fiction book are you reading RIGHT NOW?? Do you like it? Why or why not?? (remember to black out any spoilers! thanks! :D )

In my case I am rereading Dan Simmons's Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion. And yes, I like them a lot. :D There's adventure, romance, and a lot of mystery in them. :D

I am also doing the group read of Zalazny's Lord of Light over at Ahira's Hangar and Endless Shadows, and I am finding it to be a very interesting book, full of wit and references to Hindu mythology. :D
Love as thou wilt.

Sevothtarte
Giantfriend
Location: a position or site occupied or available for occupancy or marked by some distinguishing feature

Post by Sevothtarte »

I'm still stuck in The Mirror of her Dreams, not very far, cause I've been busy and Donaldson's aren't books you just sneak a peek in and then put away again...

First impression: So instead of a guy in a new world he doesn't believe in we now have a girl in a world which doesn't believe in her. :wink:

I like it ... it got me to play checkers again :lol: ... the telling seems a bit awkward at times, and it's nothing compared to TCTC, but it's good.

Hmm, what I already don't like about it: I'm sick of fictional characters which believe themselves to be ugly or uninteresting while in fact being stunningly beautiful. 99% of real people who think they're not Miss/Mr Universum in fact are quite right, it would be nice to see a message which appeals to them. Stunning people finding out they're stunning doesn't do it.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

99% of real people who think they're not Miss/Mr Universum in fact are quite right, it would be nice to see a message which appeals to them. Stunning people finding out they're stunning doesn't do it.
lol. I agree with ya. Like the "Nerd into Prom Queen" movies. Personally, I always think they look better as nerds. Just finished Mirror yesterday, and I'm still not liking Terisa that much.
Spoiler
Hurray. She finally somewhat refused Eremis.
What's her deal anyway? She sees people for the snakes they are, yet she thinks these people are actually going to do the right thing? The people she sees a shred of nobility in she thinks are going to do the wrong thing. She forgets blatantly important conversations (along the lines of, "Oh, I just remembered the wizard said the magic words to defeat the evil king were 'Klaatu, Verata, Nicto.' It's just dreadful I completely forgot until after he killed the noble knight."). Pfah.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I have been greatly inspired by this board, and on saturday I started rereading the second chronicles. I am now in the middle of the One Tree, and the company is just about to enter Bhrathairain.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

I'm taking a rest, waiting for the Storm of Swords paperback to be released next week. :)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

I am reading Lord of Light by Zelazny, Fall of Hyperion and will start A Storm of Swords on March 4th as soon as it comes out in paperback!
Last edited by danlo on Mon Mar 03, 2003 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I might also mention that I have a few books "on hold" as it were.

Most notable of them is probably Jack Vance's Tales of the Dying Earth, where I am stuck about halfway through Cugel's Saga.

I have also started reading The Seer King, but I stopped and could not find the heart to continue although it is not really bad at all.
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

I just finished Game of Thrones and will likely start on the next book within a week (finances permitting).
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I'm ready Zelazny's masterpiece, Lord of Light. I will be getting back to *groan* Earthsea, hope it gets better. :roll:
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I decided to read Shadow & Claw again by Wolfe while I wait for A Man Rides Through to get here through interlibrary loan.

Surprisingly, I identify with Severian more than any other fantasy character I've encountered, except, perhaps, for Bran in the Prydian Chronicles (if you've ever seen Disney's The Black Cauldron and thought, "This movie would be good if it didn't suck," then try it)... but that was so long ago I doubt it holds true any more.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Darksbane

Dune

Post by Darksbane »

I'm reading Dune, and it is incredible to say the least, best science fiction book ever, rivaled only by the lord of the rings. Hey, I could do the reviews on these books :lol:
TCM
Servant of the Land

R.A. Salvatore

Post by TCM »

Well, right now I am re-reading R.A. Salvatore's Canticle, from the Cleric Quintet. But that is only something to keep me busy until I get my hands on The One Tree. I just finished The Wounded Land, and can't wait to see what the Giant's home is like. Seems like it is going to be a very good book. R.A. Salvatore is a great author btw. I love his books. He crafts wonderfully enthralling stories that force you to turn page after page.
-TCM
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Ok, as I've previously mentioned, I'm re-reading The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. I've gathered that most here haven't read it, but if you have, please show your support of or dissent to my rant.

Wolfe is a freakin' genius. I cannot currently consider myself skilled, insightful, or even worthy enough to write something of this level. Sure, Donaldson and other such masters have daunted me, but I've never experienced the complete sensation of dread in comparing myself, comparing my works in their utmost fantistical potential, to his writing. The most simple examples of his prose are more brilliantly crafted than the few shining lines of poetry I've slogged out. I've compared Wolfe to James Joyce in the past, but I believe Dylan Thomas might be more appropriate. This is not prose as we know it.

My eyes have been opened in a way they weren't the first time I encountered this work. In the way I've grown and learned in the six years between readings, I realize that it will probably take me another six years at least to fully appreciate New Sun.

I can't compare Wolfe to Donaldson. It is almost literally like comparing night to day. All I can say is that I'm feeling the same amount of awe in this reading as I did the second time I read the chronicles. Both are too intricate and potent to fully sink in at first exposure, but after it gets under your skin...

Fanboy moment over.
-George Steiner
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

I have actually read the Book of the New Sun. An while I also found it quite good I must say that I am not as enthusiastic as Sylvanus about it. However I agree that Gene Wolfe is a genius, or near to it and deserves all the recognition he gets.

For myself I have to say that there is something about his style of writing that does not sit well with me. I do not know what. Maybe it is a little bit too ponderous. (It seems strange to be saying this on a forum devoted to SRD, but there it is.)
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Post by aliantha »

I picked up "A Game of Thrones" recently, due to recommendations from folks here, and found it to be very good. I'm now somewhat over halfway through "A Clash of Kings". Yes, I know that "A Storm of Swords" is out in paperback as of yesterday, but I checked the hardback out of the library in a fit of frugality (and may take it back and cough up the $$ for the paperback anyhow -- MAN, that book is heavy!). Martin's plot intricacies are amazing. And to think he's writing yet another book in this series....
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Hurry aliantha so u can join us in ASOS Group Read @ the Hangar!

I'm reading tons of stuff right now as well as MN, but I've been VERY interested in reading Gene Wolfe 4 a looong time as many critics tend 2 mention him and Davis Zindell (Neverness books) in the same breath...
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Of the two I prefer Zindell, though it's been a long time since I've read Wolfe and I very recently finished the four Neverness books by Zindell, so his stuff is a lot fresher in my mind...not taking anything away from Wolfe here, as I found Zindell to be outstanding.

Right now for my own personal pleasure I am rereading Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons and just starting out on one of the Sandman books by Neil Gaiman. I'd heard good things about it so when I saw one at the store I bought it. It's been years since I've read a comic book (other than the ones produced by my younger son) and I must say that I am very impressed with it! This one is definately not for young kids!

I'm doing quite a few group reads right now. For here at the Watch there is Lord Foul's Bane, which is nearly finished, so soon we'll be starting The Illearth War. I am looking forward to it -- maybe some of you guys can finally help me get a handle of Elena, I've never been able to fully understand her or her motives. And the Mordant's Need group read will start next week, I believe. Haven't read it in years, so this will be the kick in the pants I need to reread it.

With the good people of Ahira's Hangar I am reading Zelazny's Lord of Light, which is very good (if anyone wants to join us we are only on chapter two, so it will be easy to join in!), and we just started George R. R. Martin's A Storm of Swords this week. Fangirl here :wink: never needs an excuse to read ASOIAF! :lol: pub40.ezboard.com/bahirashangar
Love as thou wilt.

Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

I've begun Clash of Kings.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Hurry Zahir! 4 some reason I thought u were further along! :?
Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Zahir »

Danlo, I'm reading as fast as I can without giving up the rest of my life. Right now I've reached the point where...
Spoiler
Brann has been told of the green dreams predicting his own death, with his face being cut away--I'll bet that doesn't mean what it seems, more like identity theft. Meanwhile Theon is sulking over his raiding. This guy reminds me a bit of Fredo in "The Godfather." Just a bit.
Keep in mind I'm also writing one of these! That take time, too! 8O

Return to “General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion”