Lord Foul's Bane Chapters 22 & 23

LFB, TIW, TPTP

Moderators: Cord Hurn, danlo, dlbpharmd

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

IIRC, this is the point where Covenant is about to throw his ring over Landsdrop, and Bannor's actions (in response to the Ur-viles') prevent him from doing so. I've always thought this was the reason for the ur-viles "ferociously triumphant" cries.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Tuvor shuddered; his eyes opened. Covenant looked away from Prothall. Tuvor's lips moved, but he made no sound.

Mhoram tried to comfort him. "Have no fear. This evil will be overcome--it is in the High Lord's hands. And your name will be remembered with honor wherever trust is valued."

But Tuvor's eyes held Covenant, and he managed to whisper one word, "True?" His whole body strained with supplication, but Covenant did not know whether he asked for a promise or a judgment.

Yet the Unbeliever answered. He could not refuse a Bloodguard, could not deny the appeal of such expensive fidelity. The word stuck in his throat, but he forced it out. "Yes."

Tuvor shuddered again, and died with a flat groan as if the cord of his Vow had snapped. Covenant gripped his shoulders, shook him; there was no response.
I'm really not that fond of Covenant the character through most of this book, but my esteem for him goes up a great deal because he had compassion towards Tuvor, could not refuse to give him an answer that could comfort him.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

In [i]Lord Foul's Bane[/i] Chapter 23 was wrote:Before the echoes of cheering died--before anyone could move--a new sound broke over them. It started softly, then expanded until it filled the chamber like the collapse of the ceiling. It was laughter--Lord Foul's laughter, throbbing with glee and immitigable hate. Its belittling weight dominated them, buried them in their helplessness; it paralyzed them, seemed to cut them off from their own heartbeats and breathing. While it piled onto them, they were lost.

Even Prothall stood still. Despite his victory, he looked old and feeble, and his eyes had an unfocused stare as if he were gazing into his own coffin. And Covenant, who knew that laugh, could not resist it.

But Lord Mhoram moved. Springing onto the dais, he whirled his staff around his head until the air hummed, and blue lightning bolted upward into the clustered stalactites. "Then show yourself, Despiser!" he shouted. "If you are so certain, face us now! Do you fear to try your doom with us?"

Lord Foul's laughter exploded with fiercer contempt. But Mhoram's defiance had broken its transfixion.

Prothall touched Mhoram's shoulder. The warriors gripped their swords, placed themselves in grim readiness behind the Lords.
I just love this passage...I think it's Lord Mhoram's shining moment in Lord Foul's Bane! His spirit just never surrenders.

Return to “1st Chronicles”