What are you reading in general?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

To Kill A Mocking Bird (and Avatars)

Post by Prince of Amber »

I love these Avatars, so many to choose from it took me ages to decide. I picked this one in the end because (you' re right Skyweir) it is so Cool, I see that Offcentre has changed avatars, the new one is a little scary.

One of my favoite books ever is To Kill A Mockimg Bird, I must have read it a dozen times since I was 12 or 13, does anyone know if Harper Lee has any other books?
Vain
Nom

hehehe

Post by Vain »

I see that Offcentre has changed avatars, the new one is a little scary.
Says the one with the glowing yellow eyes. I'm experimenting :) My recollection of the details of the chronicles is so poor but I remember there being some really tough black beastie that dealt swift retribution to hordes of baddies. I thought the name was Vain? Or do I have the wrong book? :roll:
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

O.K

So glowing yellow eyes arn't exactly warm and welcoming, but it's more of a suggestion of evil rather than a 'oh my God whats that?!!' in your face type deal you've got going on. 8O
You have a good memory, indeed Vain is the name of the really 'don't mess with me character' in the 2nd Chronicles, he never really got involed in any fights (there has been speculation on the old board about what would be the result if Vain and a Sandgorgon ever matched up) except on the one occasion Covenant asked for his help, and that was over very quickly.
I think you've done well, your avatar has the look of Vain about it. Does anyone remember if Vain had eyes? I think demondim spawn were usually eyeless.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

For some strange reason, Vain was one of the characters that stuck with me. When his assistance was summonsed, didn't he unleash death on destruction? Confirm the eyes deal and I will make him eyeless :)
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

The dead Foamfollower gave Vain to Covenant in Andelain, and somewhere along the line Covenant was given the words to prompt Vain into action to save his life, but it would only work the once (I'm in my lunch break at work just now, relying just on memory so sorry for the scetchy details) I think the Ur-Lord used this one chance up pretty quickly and I think that Vain would have been able to rescue him from far more dire peril, but he certainly gave the bad guys what for.
One other thing I remember about Vain was that he was too heavy for Giants to lift, or more acurately he just didn't want to be lifted, which made me smile. I'm not surprised Vain has stuck in your memory, he is just one of the reasons I prefer the 2nd Chronicles.., (sorry to use this seeming unrelated topic to once again register my opinion on the 1st vs 2nd debate)

Just so that I don't stray to far from the topic - I love the Summer Tree trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay :wink:
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Emoticons

I'm getting annoyed now - That's the third time I've tried an Emoticons and it hasn't worked. What am I doing wrong :?: 4th if that one didn't work.
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

Check before you post. There are options below and one of them says :"Disable smilies in this post"

If it is ticked then smilies will not appear. You can edit your profile to ensure that smilies are always enabled. :)
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

IT WORKS

Thanks for that - lets try again :lol: :wink: :?:
Prince of Amber
<i>Elohim</i>

Gilden Fire

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of Gilden Fire? My brother stole the copy I had years ago and I wanted the book rather than as the short story in Daughters of Regals.
danlo
Lord

I would like the book 2!

Post by danlo »

PofA I 2, along w/probably alot of servants of the land, would like 2 get ahold of that book--is the book longer than the shortstory? Does any1 kno? I 2 have been secretly admiring ur avatar--tres coolio--I think the creature u're referring 2 as attacking @ will is Nom the Sandgorgon. Vain is very, very cool, but I'm not sure if he had eyes @ all--he just sort of stares ahead and never says anything--TC was granted 1 command of Vain and then Vain was free 2 do his own thing--Like touch Linden, kneel b4 Linden, rescue Linden etc... The only time Vain really went nuts is when TC screamed 4 his help while fleeing the crazed stonedone in TWL--and TC regreted it ever since!
Last edited by danlo on Thu Mar 21, 2002 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

Gilden fire

Post by aliantha »

danlo, do you have something against Linden? :)

I understood that Gilden Fire was a chapter that SRD cut from one of the books in the 2d Chrons, that was later released on its own as a sort of novella. I *think* (but I am not 100% certain) that the version in the short stories ("Daughter of Regals", yes?) is the same as the novella. I also seem to recall that SRD cut "Gilden Fire" because he felt that it cleared up the question of whether the Land is real (I guess because it's not told from the POV of somebody who's not from the Land), and he wanted to keep his readers asking that question.

I'm not sure whether Vain had eyes or not. Pretty sure he did, though.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

but now I see what you were trying to do ....

Post by Skyweir »

Chapter 12 The Andelain Hills. TWL
"to me has fallen the giving of a gift beyond price. Behold!"

He then indicated his companion; and Cpovenant could tell at once that this figure wa not one of the Dead. He wore a short grey tunic, and under it all his skin from head to foot was as black as the gaps between the stars. His form was perfectly shaped and strong; but his hair was black, his teeth and gums were black, his pupilless eyes were pure midnight. He held himself as if he were obloivious to the Dead and the Forestal and Covenant. His eyes gazed emptily, regarding nothing.

"He is Vain" said Foamfollower, "the final spawn of the ur-viles" .. he crowns all their generations of breeding. As your friend I implore you: take him to be your companion. He will not please you, for he does not speak, and serves no purpose but his own. But that purpose is mighty, and greatly to be desired. His makers have ever been lor-wise, though tormented, and when it comes upon him he, at least will not fail.

"I say that he serves no purpose but his own. Yet in order that you may accept him, the ur-viels have formed him in such a way that he may be commanded once. Once only, but I pray it may suffice. When your need is upon you, and there is no other help,say to him, 'Nekhrimah, Vain', and he will obey."

... "In the name of hotash slay where I was consumed and reborn, I beg you to accept this gift"
so yeah he had eyes .. and this description should help to create a more convincing :wink: .. Vain-like ur-vile avatar .. if thats what you were attempting .. :P :lol: .. mmm interesting hehe .. offcenter .. cos I was with PoAmber when I saw your avatar .. like .. 'oh my god what's that?' 8O .... kind of thinking :P

I remember reading about Gilden Fire and SRD saying that it was published without his consent .. he gave it to a party who asked for it as part of a literary competition .. or some such thing .. Following the competition and awards etc .. it found its way later into print .. SRD was appalled by this because it was a chunk of writing that he never intended to publish for sale .. so he had his own publisher print copies and gave them to libraries and such to undercut the sales of the rogue Gilden Fire publication.. or something like that ..

*from the dark recesses of my memory .. as reliable as that is :wink:
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Bannor
Giantfriend

Current Reading

Post by Bannor »

I am currently reading Watership Down, and I am a big fan of Alan Dean Foster's Flinx books (and especially the 2 Midworld stories). Mary Stewart's Merlin books and McCaffrey's Dragonriders. Of course Donaldson and Tolkien are always on the nightstand.
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
danlo
Lord

...Indoctrinaire...

Post by danlo »

8O Must b a BIG nightstand! 8O but then again even the furniture is big in Revelstone! My work is cut out 4 me: River of Blue Fire, The Silmarillion and The Lightstone now if I can only find time 2 read!!! Again, like I did on the old Watch, I must reccomend Indoctrinaire by Christopher Priest (author of one of my all time fav books: The Inverted World) it will totally BLOW ur mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aliantha
blueberries on steroids

I'm reading...

Post by aliantha »

Just finished Swift as Desire by Laura Esquivel (she of Like Water for Chocolate fame) this morning on the way in to work (no worries -- I take public transit!). Wasn't as good as Like Water for Chocolate, in my opinion. But anyway.

Also just read Bowling Alone, which is all about how us Americans need to be more neighborly. Had to read it for a project, otherwise I would've quit about halfway through. Lots of statistics -- pretty much of a yawner.
Bannor
Giantfriend

The Inverted World

Post by Bannor »

Based on your recommendation, Danlo, I have placed a bid on The Inverted World. I am interested (always) on other readers' favorite books (who share at least some books in common with me). I'll let you know how I enjoyed it (if I win the bid). Thanks for the recommendation.
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"Two thousand years."
danlo
Lord

Good Luck Bannor!

Post by danlo »

Why do u have 2 place a bid on a book? Is it some kind of auction? I am not familiar w/the process...splain please, Luuucy! I can't, and don't really want to, tell u what the book is about--I'm very eager 4 ur reaction, tho...It may mean something different 2 u than me but it will exercise ur brain---that i guarrantee! I tend 2 lean more towards Sci-Fi than Fantasy and the Sci-fi I like the most r 1s that pose philosophies that r much more transcendent than those we r, normally used 2. I don't like pap Sci-fi, I like the type of Sci-fi and Fantasy (like TCTC) that can alter our way of thinking and can possibly alter the way we live. 8)
Last edited by danlo on Wed Mar 27, 2002 7:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bannor
Giantfriend

Auctions

Post by Bannor »

I buy and sell on EBAY. I can usually find anything I want there very cheap, though I've sold some things for exceptional prices as well. I bought an extra set of the Second Chronicles there (in mint condition) for $5: figured I couldn't go wrong at that price! They were book club issues, but mint. You might check it out sometime.

Click here for Inverted World
Click here for Stephen Donaldson
Last edited by Bannor on Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"Two thousand years."
danlo
Lord

Dang! that's wild!

Post by danlo »

8O Never been 2 Ebay b4! Hope U didn't read the description--but I know u did! :D :D I have a serious prob about buying anything on the comp--I absolutely refuse 2 type in my credit card #--I know people do it all the time--but I just can't do it, I wonder y :?: I bet some1 has a copy of Neverness out there--I need 1: not only is it extremely hard 2 find but all 3 times I have lent the book out it never returns!
Last edited by danlo on Mon Mar 25, 2002 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bannor
Giantfriend

Neverness

Post by Bannor »

Neverness is (of course) available on EBAY. It's a first edition and the auction ends in 3+ days. It has received no bids, and the first bid is $4.99, or it can be bought now for about $15 plus shipping (that could be $5 to $10 depending on method of shipping because the seller lives in England). If you hate to use credit cards on the internet, I'd be happy to buy it and you could buy it from me with a money order. [I am bushhog2 on EBAY and have 681 positive feedbacks, so you can trust me.] Let me know and I can either bid for you or buy it outright. The url is:
Click here for Neverness
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"Two thousand years."

Return to “General Literature Discussion”