What are you reading in general?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Seadreamer
Servant of the Land

Re: This week I am mostly..

Post by Seadreamer »

Prince of Amber wrote:Reading - Jack of Shadows (again) by Roger Zelazny, and once I've finished that I will start the Amber series again. I love his work and can not recommend it highly enough.
I will be hunting for David Zindell books at the weekend (thanks to Danlo for the reviews)
For a good dose of Sci-Fi I go for Julian May (The Many Coloured Land series is Wonderful)
And if Horror is your bag then The Necroscope books by Brian Lumly are just the thing.

I love reading History and I've recently finished a book about Gengis Khan and the Mongols, facinating to discover how close they got to Europe.
:-x

Not that Jack of shadows rubbish
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

I'm currently reading short stories by the old master Clark Ashton Smith at The Eldritch Dark, a site devoted to him. There are lots of his stories there, including several immortal gems of fantastic horror or horrific fantasy (plus science fiction). Smith is often as dark as Donaldson at his darkest and I like that! He's excellent with description and atmosphere I think it's great a happy ending is not a certainty as with most fantasy today.

In general I read fantasy, science fiction and horror. In recent years fantasy has predominated. I read the likes of Tolkien, Donaldson, Lovecraft, the previously mentioned Smith, Tad Williams, David Gemmell, Roger Zelazny, Steven Erikson, etc, etc.

It's great to see I'm not the only one to love Inverted World by Christopher Priest. I started recently a thread on that on another site and got zero replies. The book has been a major formative experience to me and I think the idea behind it is probably the coolest and most original fictional world ever, beating even Niven's Ringworld.
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Still reading James Joyce's Ulysses.

Currently working on John Steinbeck's Sweet Thursday.

Still re-reading Tolkien's FOTR.

And I interrupted all that to read Lost Boys by Orson Scott Card and to re-read Sabriel by Garth Nix. :D

Oh, and I am also dipping into Maps in a Mirror, a collection of short stories by Orson Scott Card, which I took out of the library (it's out of print :(). He is an excellent short story writer.

Think I'm reading enough books at one time? :lol: :D

~MsMary~
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
berencamlost7
Servant of the Land

Post by berencamlost7 »

Just about to start Hawkwood's Journey by Paul Kearney. Set in a quasi 15th Century Europe, it has been given good recs by people I know. It's the start of a multi volume series, so here's hoping its not another Jordan.
Foamfollower1013
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Foamfollower1013 »

I'm currently re-reading Ender's Game, in preparation for going to EnderCon this summer. :D

~Foamy~
danlo
Lord

Reading on the Web!

Post by danlo »

I'm 4 chapters through The Boats of the Glen Carrig that Nerdanel told me and the Hangar about--if u do a search 4 it or William Hope Hogston u can find it printed in it's entirety!--1st time I've ever read a book on the web--pretty cool! It was writen back in the 30's and the prose is fairly archaic olde english, but it's well told and very scary!!! Kinda like Lovecraft! I recommended The Nightland by Hogston 2 her and then she found this "web-book"... :wink:
Last edited by danlo on Wed Jul 17, 2002 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

OUt of the loop!

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

What EnderCOn? When? Where? I just reread the ender books, love 'em. OSC is the coolest. If SRD is my fave fantasy writer, the OSC is my fave sci-fi. I bet I already missed it..... :cry:
Um, as to the REAL topic of this thread: I'm on a big star wars binge just now, reading as far along the Dark Tower series as possible...
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I'm currently reading Day of the Triffids. Actually, it's my second time reading it. Love it. If the Forestals had triffids then maybe the ravers would've taken a beating.
Bannor
Giantfriend

Post by Bannor »

Nerdanel, I really liked The Inverted World. Kind of an O. Henry ending. I'm trying to get into Stephen Baxter's Manifold Origin. He has 20 more pages to grab me, or it's off to the recyle center! :roll:
"Do you have a wife?"
"At one time."
"What happened to her?"
"She has been dead."
"How long ago did she die?"
"Two thousand years."
danlo
Lord

fmi, fyi

Post by danlo »

MsMary and Foamy went 2 Endercon around the 4th of July weekend--It is an OSC fest featuring the man himself--kinda like what we envision Elohimfest 2 b--held in Salt Lake City--OSC lives in Utah..
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

I just finished reading Kushiel' Dart by Jacqueline Carey. Good book!
The King has one more move.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I'm actually re-reading another great fantasy epic- the Chronicles of Narnia. Very good books. It's been awhile since I've read them.

Oh, by the way Enders Game is a GREAT book, a little bit dark, though.
danlo
Lord

A Game of Thrones

Post by danlo »

Hyperion was great--it's now up in my Top 15 book list--but makes u very hungry for it's sequel: The Fall of Hyperion. Scotti, I've read the 1st Otherland book, it's very cool, and part of River of Blue Fire--looking 4ward 2 finishing the series..I'm now reading A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (from Santa Fe NM, btw) and am completely mezmerized! Fantastic stuff--see ya! off 2 read!
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

reading in general

Post by Dromond »

My 2 cents worth---- Has anyone read
'Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett? It's awesome! He's better known for spy thrillers but this book is nothing like that. It's not fantasy but compares to and is superior to most. 12th century England is the place, getting a church built is the goal, mostly seen through the eyes of the peasants. It has the best opening line I've ever read------- The small boys came early to the hanging. Do yourself a favor and put it on your list! :wink:
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I'll do that...if there is enough time in one life to read all the books that have been recommended on the Watch :)

I'm on very lightweight reading at the moment - Tom Holt. He was recommended by a friend; so far it seems a little like Terry Pratchett, and a little like Douglas Adams.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Ive heard of Pillars of the Earth. Its about churches or something right?
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

I read Ender's game's sequels. Ender's Shdaow was good but I can't get into the ones after that. I'm readin ghte Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy series, I am on Life, The Universe and Everything. Also, I am rereading the confessions of Georgia Nicolson. They are 'girl' books, but very very funny. Drool, you should read them!

Pie and Cake
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I am reading Over Nine Waves, a book of Irish legends. I have worked my way through the legends of the Sidhe, am now reading through the Ulster Cycle. Almost to the great Cattle Raid of Cooley. :) 8)
Last edited by duchess of malfi on Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Love as thou wilt.

Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

I'm reading Harry Potter, now on Chapter 23 of ORDER OF THE PHOENIX. I have to take the HPs one at a time, in between books I've promised to review, but they're capable of holding my attention through a lot of distraction.
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Sense and Sensibility, by Jane Austen.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!

Return to “General Literature Discussion”