What are you reading in general?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

Baradakas
Lord

Post by Baradakas »

The Golden Key, by Melanie Rawn, Kate Elliot and Jennifer Roberson

Very cool concept about combining Art and Magic, written by three extremely talented authors...
"Fortunate circumstances do not equate to high ideals."

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

By the river Piedra I sat down and wept, by Paulo Coelho. All about surrendering to the risk of love. *sighs*

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.

Post by Guest »

Koontz
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

bump
"The universe is made of stories, not atoms." -- Roger Penrose
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I'm reading tons of research journals.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Leafing through a chick lit romance called SHARING SUNRISE again, trying to capture the flavor. "Sparkle" doesn't do it justice.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Baseball Prospectus 2004.
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Brinn wrote:Baseball Prospectus 2004.
Which brings me to ask, do you play it, Brinn? I have always enjoyed a game of BB.
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

Lord Mhoram wrote:Ive heard of Pillars of the Earth. Its about churches or something right?
It's historical fiction that centers around the building of a cathedral in medieval England. I read it several years back and thought it was rather good at the time.
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

I'm finally gettting 'round to giving James Clavell a gander......I'm a few chapters into King Rat. :D
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Dragonlily
Lord

Post by Dragonlily »

Far and away the best Clavell, I think, is SHOGUN. Don't think of the miniseries when you read the book; they are quite different animals in some ways.

I'm reading a new ebook, BOUDICCA by Joann Smith. Good first person narration, emotionally very tightly wound. I keep expecting to find I have bleeding chest wounds from the character's agony.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

Not any more Ur-vile. I'll play the ocassional pick -up game with friends but my days of organized sports have unfortunately passed at least until my son is ready to play!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
theDespiser
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by theDespiser »

well, i just finished the 10th book in the wheel of time series...ill be reading the rest of the Harry Potter books again, and im currently reading the latest issue of wizard, and a book on Visual Storytelling...ill rotate that with a book on Norse Mythology and The Rites of Odin, and a Handbook on Japanese swords
Think on that, and be dismayed

What do you do to a man who has lost everything?

Give him back something broken
Byrn
Giantfriend

Post by Byrn »

Alright, I'm officially hooked on Palahniuk's writing. I read Fight Club in a matter of Hours. What book of his should I read next?
"What is the land to air speed ratio of a laden swallow?"
https://www.noiraqdraft.com/impact.php? ... a211109cb0
The Leper Fairy
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Leper Fairy »

Is he the guy that wrote Lullaby?

Pie and Cake
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

All of them, though I wouldn't read Lullaby and Diary back to back. Choke, Survivor, and Invisible Monsters are all superb.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Edinburghemma
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edinburghemma »

I am reading the second book by Adam Roberts 'On', it is superb. Having said that I haven't finished it yet. His first 'Salt' is also great. I highly recommend them.
The reality is in this head. Mine. I'm the projector at the planetarium, all the closed little universe visible in the circle of that stage is coming out of my mouth, eyes, and sometimes other orifices also.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I am reading (and mostly looking at the illustrations) of a book called Santa Fe Art. Shows some of the best fine art which has come out of New Mexico in the last hundred years or so. :)
Love as thou wilt.

Edinburghemma
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Edinburghemma »

I am reading Jeff VanderMeers City of Saints and Madmen. Has anyone else read it? It is superb, an unsettling Gormenghast on a bigger scale. The writing is intelligent, witty and quite beautiful in parts. I recommend it heartily to everyone (perhaps not so much the younger watchers or the more sensitive of heart). This writer is one to follow, wish I had discovered him sooner.
The reality is in this head. Mine. I'm the projector at the planetarium, all the closed little universe visible in the circle of that stage is coming out of my mouth, eyes, and sometimes other orifices also.
Dragonlily
Lord

Chuck Palahniuk

Post by Dragonlily »

Byrn wrote:Alright, I'm officially hooked on Palahniuk's writing. I read Fight Club in a matter of Hours. What book of his should I read next?
I thought I was officially hooked when I read FIGHT CLUB, but the next thing of his that I read was a short story, and it was absolutely ghastly. Made my stomach cringe.

Return to “General Literature Discussion”