What are you reading in general?

For those who want to talk about other authors, but can't be bothered to go join other boards...

Moderators: Orlion, Dragonlily

sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Harry Potter
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Rereading:
Difference and Repetition by Gilles Deleuze

sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

I've decided to read the Twilight series.

That way I'm not a hypocrite in making fun of them.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

sgt.null wrote:I've decided to read the Twilight series.

They're remarkably fun in the way that bad movies such as Sharknado are fun! Too bad that didn't translate to the movies.
"You make me think Hell is run like a corporation."
"It's the other way around, but yes."
Obaki, Too Much Information
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Rigel wrote:

They're remarkably fun in the way that bad movies such as Sharknado are fun! Too bad that didn't translate to the movies.
I have a Batman book (Inferno) to finish before Twilight.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Rigel wrote:

What really amuses me is that 50 Shades of Grey started out as Twilight fanfic. :D

--A
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Prolegomena to Any Future Metaphysics • Letter to Marcus Herz, February 1772 by Immanuel Kant

inkinen
Stonedownor

Post by inkinen »

”Book of eels” by Patrik Svensson.
sgt.null

Post by sgt.null »

Lisey's Story - Stephen King
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Cams
Servant of the Land

Post by Cams »

Oathbringer, Brandon Sanderson.

Post by Avatar »

Never read any of his books apart from the WoT ones he finished. (Which I was not disappointed by.) Any good?

--A
Cams
Servant of the Land

Post by Cams »

Avatar wrote:Never read any of his books apart from the WoT ones he finished. (Which I was not disappointed by.) Any good?
Interesting question. I had Wheel of Time AND pretty much anything by Sanderson recommended to me this year. I ummed and ahhed about what to read, eventually settling on the first Wheel of Time book, The Eye of the World. I did not like it one bit. It seemed juvenile and derivative. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but I wasn't expecting it. Unlike with my reread of The Sword of Shannara last year - then I was expecting it and I really quite enjoyed it.

Onto Sanderson. It was a thing to decide where to start. It's not clearcut as with other fantasy writers. I decided on the Stormlight Archive and was hooked from the very beginning. I listen to the Audible versions and I got through the first two in a few weeks. It's original and incredibly rich. I have paused Oathbringer for now though as I'm listening to Scott Brick's narration of Lord Foul's Bane after finishing The Last Dark last week.

I highly recommend Stormlight Archive.
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Critique of Pure Reason: Unified Edition (with all variants from the 1781 and 1787 editions) by Immanuel Kant (trans. Werner Pluhar)

Post by Avatar »

Eh...I don't know if Kant suffers particularly in translation, (my German is nowhere near good enough to read the original), but I always found him nearly as tedious as Michel Foucault (in translation). ;)
Cams wrote:
Avatar wrote:Never read any of his books apart from the WoT ones he finished. (Which I was not disappointed by.) Any good?
Interesting question. I had Wheel of Time AND pretty much anything by Sanderson recommended to me this year. I ummed and ahhed about what to read, eventually settling on the first Wheel of Time book, The Eye of the World. I did not like it one bit. It seemed juvenile and derivative. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but I wasn't expecting it. Unlike with my reread of The Sword of Shannara last year - then I was expecting it and I really quite enjoyed it.

Onto Sanderson. It was a thing to decide where to start. It's not clearcut as with other fantasy writers. I decided on the Stormlight Archive and was hooked from the very beginning. I listen to the Audible versions and I got through the first two in a few weeks. It's original and incredibly rich. I have paused Oathbringer for now though as I'm listening to Scott Brick's narration of Lord Foul's Bane after finishing The Last Dark last week.

I highly recommend Stormlight Archive.
Funnily enough, we were talking somewhere (the Discord maybe?) about the upcoming WoT Amazon series, and I mentioned how book 1 was the most generic fantasy book of the series.

Now, I (first) read it back in the 90's so there was less for it to be derivative of perhaps. I generally enjoy the series a lot (with some caveats to be fair, like book 7-10 get progressively worse before the series picks up again), but that's probably mostly because of the epic world building and timeline.

--A
Cams
Servant of the Land

Post by Cams »

Avatar wrote:Funnily enough, we were talking somewhere (the Discord maybe?) about the upcoming WoT Amazon series, and I mentioned how book 1 was the most generic fantasy book of the series.

Now, I (first) read it back in the 90's so there was less for it to be derivative of perhaps. I generally enjoy the series a lot (with some caveats to be fair, like book 7-10 get progressively worse before the series picks up again), but that's probably mostly because of the epic world building and timeline.

--A
So I should read the second one?

Post by Avatar »

Eh...I don't know if I want to make that call for you. :D TBH I find The Great Hunt a bit annoying these days, and try to only skim it. (Although, I have read it many times now as well.) Now Book 3 on the other hand remains one of my favourite of the series. :D

--A
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

Currently reading A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, by Mark Twain.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Cord Hurn wrote:Currently reading A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, by Mark Twain.
Oh hey, I read that years back, and really enjoyed it.

I'm about halfway through The Girl on the Train and expect to finish it tomorrow. It's... rough. Horror stories like Stephen King writes are one thing, but horror like The Office or Idiocracy are magnitudes worse because you can picture it happening to you. The dysfunction that Rachel experiences... When I read it I think, "There, but for the grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, go I."

But I'm planning on pushing through to the end tomorrow.
Rigel
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Rigel »

Girl on the Train was good but a touch more melodrama than I prefer. The literary version of a Lifetime movie :D

I picked up My Grandmother Asked Me To Tell You She's Sorry, about a 7 year old girl and her 77 year old grandmother, and I'm loving it so far. There are two major plot points I saw coming ahead of time, but I don't mind because the story is well told.

Return to “General Literature Discussion”