Games You're Eagerly Awaiting

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Nav wrote:I'm expecting Diablo 3 to be the next major Blizzard release, rumour is that it will again have no subscription fee and will serve to compete directly with Guild Wars. If I had shares in NCsoft, I'd be selling them I think!
That would be pretty ingenious. Blizzard has subscription-based MMORPGs nailed, and Diablo III as a non-subscription MMORPG could very well be the death knell for a game like Guild Wars. Talk about monopoly!

And then, after such a blow, they could drop StarCraft 2 on all our heads. Maybe God will give up his throne to Blizzard? Hmm...
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

I'm awaiting Neverwinter Nights 2 with a mixture of hope and dread. On one hand, it's been a while since a good D&D-based game came about, and NWN1 - for all its faults - was a great game, which, coupled with the toolset and the ocean of modules released so far, still goes strong even though it's now 4 years old. On the other hand, it seems that every time I visit the forums and/or talk with others who do, it turns out they either weren't able to put in a feature, or they dropped it, and so on. I recently had a discussion with a friend and co-DM in a NWN persistent world, and it turns out that Obsidian had seemingly first said they would implement a Z-axis in the game, and then later doubled back and said that wasn't what they had meant. Also, weird limitations have popped up in creating modules and persistent worlds, and the pre-sale toolset (said to be the "final release" of the toolset, given as a pre-release gift for those who preordered the game, and delayed three times before it was released) is horribly buggy and complicated to use, while lacking good documentation. This game could potentially be good, but it could also potentially be so horrifying as to make the NWN franchise fall on its knees.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Xar wrote:I'm awaiting Neverwinter Nights 2 with a mixture of hope and dread. On one hand, it's been a while since a good D&D-based game came about, and NWN1 - for all its faults - was a great game, which, coupled with the toolset and the ocean of modules released so far, still goes strong even though it's now 4 years old. On the other hand, it seems that every time I visit the forums and/or talk with others who do, it turns out they either weren't able to put in a feature, or they dropped it, and so on. I recently had a discussion with a friend and co-DM in a NWN persistent world, and it turns out that Obsidian had seemingly first said they would implement a Z-axis in the game, and then later doubled back and said that wasn't what they had meant. Also, weird limitations have popped up in creating modules and persistent worlds, and the pre-sale toolset (said to be the "final release" of the toolset, given as a pre-release gift for those who preordered the game, and delayed three times before it was released) is horribly buggy and complicated to use, while lacking good documentation. This game could potentially be good, but it could also potentially be so horrifying as to make the NWN franchise fall on its knees.
I have it on preorder. I hope we can play sometime in your worlds.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

Loremaster wrote:
Xar wrote:I'm awaiting Neverwinter Nights 2 with a mixture of hope and dread. On one hand, it's been a while since a good D&D-based game came about, and NWN1 - for all its faults - was a great game, which, coupled with the toolset and the ocean of modules released so far, still goes strong even though it's now 4 years old. On the other hand, it seems that every time I visit the forums and/or talk with others who do, it turns out they either weren't able to put in a feature, or they dropped it, and so on. I recently had a discussion with a friend and co-DM in a NWN persistent world, and it turns out that Obsidian had seemingly first said they would implement a Z-axis in the game, and then later doubled back and said that wasn't what they had meant. Also, weird limitations have popped up in creating modules and persistent worlds, and the pre-sale toolset (said to be the "final release" of the toolset, given as a pre-release gift for those who preordered the game, and delayed three times before it was released) is horribly buggy and complicated to use, while lacking good documentation. This game could potentially be good, but it could also potentially be so horrifying as to make the NWN franchise fall on its knees.
I have it on preorder. I hope we can play sometime in your worlds.
IF the game allows for decent persistent worlds (which is not sure, given some not-so-reassuring comments on the part of the developers), and IF my computer can make it work, sure, although keep in mind the PW in which I DM is not mine - there are currently 16 of us working on it! :)
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

The Europe release of FFXII :( What could possibly take them three months to convert it to PAL?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

S.T.A.L.K.E.R
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Worm of Despite
Lord

The Somberlain wrote:The Europe release of FFXII :( What could possibly take them three months to convert it to PAL?
It gets to the point where you're almost numb to the fact Final Fantasy XII was ever announced. Kinda have to ignore it after so many release dates, delays... What happened to churning out Fantasies on a damn near yearly basis, Square? Roll up your sleeves!

Speaking of delays: Twilight Princess for the GameCube is coming this Tuesday! :ct03:

I'll pretty much get nothing done that day, aside from eating breakfast. I'll try to play only the first dungeon--try. I want this Zelda experience to last. I beat Ocarina in 30 days, and this one is purportedly longer. Come on Twilight! Gimme some Link to the Past nostalgia! :R :bounce03:
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Silent Hunter IV.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

FFXII is out tomorrow!!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Bioshock
Xar
Lord

Post by Xar »

The expansion for Oblivion, Shivering Isles, which will be released at the end of March and will contain 30-40 additional hours of content.

Also, SPORE! Although it is listed by play.com as coming out in December, some say it might be released as early as June!
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

Huxley, the first MMOFPS is supposedly slated for a Q2/3 release this year but Webzen are keeping worryingly quiet about it. It's in a post-apocalyptic cyberpunk kind of setting and it's the only MMO I've been more than vaguely interested in since WoW.

I suspect that the possibilities for griefing in a game like this would be absolutely limitless, but I'm also confident that I could hold my own. Now I just hope it makes it to release and hasn't been canned already.

[edit]newegg.com actually have Huxley listed as out of stock (not 'available for preorder') so I don't know if I've missed something. Here's the blurb:
Huxley is a massively multiplayer online first person shooting game utilizing the UNREAL3 engine to create a world of up to 5,000 players in the same gaming environment. Huxley takes place in a post-apocalyptic world where human beings have mutated and are divided into two opposing races, Sapiens and Alternative. At the center of the battle for survival is Lunarites, a promising new energy source highly coveted by both races. Forced to battle against one another for the continuance of each race, Sapiens and Alternatives will do whatever it takes to wipe out the opposition and gain control of the world and its resources.
Sounds cool.
[/edit]
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Dawngreeter
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Dawngreeter »

Xar wrote:The expansion for Oblivion, Shivering Isles, which will be released at the end of March and will contain 30-40 additional hours of content.
Right on dude. I have to get that expansion.
It was the fetid halitus of the most diseased mortality condensed to its essence and elevated to the transcendence of prophecy, promise, suzerain truth—the definitive commandment of darkness.
Iryssa
Bloodguard

Post by Iryssa »

Halo 3 (I know...typical), but more than that, FABLE 2!
"A choice made freely is stronger than one compelled"
- Stephen R. Donaldson's The Wounded Land

https://www.xanga.com/Iryssa
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I think they hinted in the E3 press conference that Fable 2 was over a year away, so you'll have plenty of time to get to grips with Halo 3 in the meantime! The smart money is on Fable 2 for a September 2008 release, with Halo Wars following as Microsoft's big Holiday 2008 release.

'Twill be similar to the Fable/Halo 2 tactical launches in 2004, commentators believe.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Worm of Despite
Lord

I'm looking forward to The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass for Nintendo DS.

I'm still a little skeptical about the mostly-touch-screen controls; I wonder if they'll be fluid/intuitive, but I'll give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt. I was skeptical about the DS to begin with, but it's definitely proven itself over the years.
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

Loremaster wrote:Bioshock
good post.....great post! ;)

currently downloading the demo, which is, btw, freakin 1,888 kb! 8O I'm at 58% now, after 6 failed attempts over a 3 hour span. :-x arrrgh, by the time I'm done downloading it'll be time to go pick up my preorder! Getting the LE with all the goodies! this game is so gonna rock! 8)
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Esmer wrote:
Loremaster wrote:Bioshock
good post.....great post! ;)

currently downloading the demo, which is, btw, freakin 1,888 kb! 8O I'm at 58% now, after 6 failed attempts over a 3 hour span. :-x arrrgh, by the time I'm done downloading it'll be time to go pick up my preorder! Getting the LE with all the goodies! this game is so gonna rock! 8)
I finished downloading it several hours ago, Esmer. All I can say is that it's stunning.
The Laughing Man
The Gap Into Spam

Post by The Laughing Man »

I was kinda not wanting to spoil it, have been avoiding alot of reviews and such where details are revealed, but I wanted to see if my now outdated video card was gonna hold up, so I could pick up a cheap one if I had to while I was pickin up the game just to play it, heh. The chatter roundabout seems to indicate its well balanced beyween stunning, as you say, grafix and good gameplay, which is heartening. :D
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Esmer wrote:I was kinda not wanting to spoil it, have been avoiding alot of reviews and such where details are revealed, but I wanted to see if my now outdated video card was gonna hold up, so I could pick up a cheap one if I had to while I was pickin up the game just to play it, heh. The chatter roundabout seems to indicate its well balanced beyween stunning, as you say, grafix and good gameplay, which is heartening. :D
I'm tempted to purchase a DX10 video card just for this game, as my X1800 doesn't run DX10.

Return to “PC & Console Games”