Games You're Eagerly Awaiting

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

Though it's now available I am looking forward to MW3.
I played through COD on the PC and recently moved to XBOX (adjusting to the console controller was a bit tricky).
I'm still enjoying MW2 and Black Ops but I'm hoping MW3 will have enough improvements and innovations to make the investment worthwhile.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Pre-ordered Assassin's Creed 3. One of the few franchises I'll fork out for new, because I just can't wait.
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

Meh...I enjoyed the first one. But I won't play an "always online" game for both the principle and the practical issues.

--A
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Are there any fans of the classic X-COM games from the early '90s on here? If so, you may want to get just as excited for Xenonauts as I am, as it's coming out at the end of this year/start of next year, and is looking to be a proper reboot of the games, as it's X-COM as we know it, but with some nice improvements. (especially higher resolutions available and 64bit compatiability, heh) Should definitely be much more true to the original, than the recently-released XCOM by Firaxis.
Cambo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Cambo »

Avatar wrote:Meh...I enjoyed the first one. But I won't play an "always online" game for both the principle and the practical issues.

--A
I play em on 360. :)
^"Amusing, worth talking to, completely insane...pick your favourite." - Avatar

https://variousglimpses.wordpress.com

Post by Avatar »

^ Consoles. ^ Pffft. ;)
Major Isoor wrote:Are there any fans of the classic X-COM games from the early '90s on here?
I was more of an Elite fan, (hence my current X3:TC problem), but a guy I used to work with loved it, so I mailed him a link. Thanks. :D

--A
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Avatar wrote:^ Consoles. ^ Pffft. ;)
Major Isoor wrote:Are there any fans of the classic X-COM games from the early '90s on here?
I was more of an Elite fan, (hence my current X3:TC problem), but a guy I used to work with loved it, so I mailed him a link. Thanks. :D

--A
No worries! I don't think your friend'll be disappointed! And yeah, I know what you mean about X3:TC - I put 210 hours into that game (got it on Steam, so I know my playtime) before I stopped; after getting the Aran and a crack marine team. Still, I'm very tempted to go back to it most days recently, and I need to keep restraining myself, at least until the Christmas holidays, when I've got enough time in one block to get sucked back in! :D (Although I don't believe I've played Elite - I was always a Freelancer fan, though!)

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, Elite came quite a bit before that. :D 1984 to be exact, although the version I played was effectively Elite III, (FFE), a 1995 release.

There's also a similar open-source game called Vega Strike, which is damn good, and in constant development. Also inspired by Elite, I suspect that the X series was heavily influenced by Vega Strike.

I just got it recently, but haven't bothered with the plot. Picked up a couple of great looking mods for it, and went straight to the custom game.

Just bought my first military transport and Corvette.

--A
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Ah, well if you want to do the Terran+Argon/OFF plotlines, you'll need to start a new game as a Terran Defender or Argon Patriot I believe, sadly. But yeah, it's definitely fun as-is!

And yeah I know Elite's an oldie - Freelancer was just the main space sim (using the word 'sim' fairly loosely) of my childhood, as sadly I wasn't really able to play anything older than stuff made in the early '90s. :( (born at the end of 1990)

But yeah, have you played Crimson Skies, by any chance? I can't seem to find anyone (obviously my 'main' childhood friend) who's played it, these days, but it was such a good arcade flight game, with a surprising amount of customisation options available. :D That and Age of Empires II were my main timesinks back in the day. Plus a bit of Powerslide on the side. So good! The trifecta of kings!

Post by Avatar »

Hahaha, afraid not. I did used to play Dynamix's Red Baron though. :D

And AoE, (and similar) until I discovered...Total War. ;)

--A
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Well, I've just pre-ordered Aliens: Colonial Marines so that I can play it coop with a friend of mine, so I'm a little excited about that, now. (Although not so much about the 20gb download!) It'll also be interesting to see how the S.H.A.R.P. Sticks are, as they were mentioned in the film, but never shown.

Post by Avatar »

I guess I'm eagerly awaiting Rome II and GTA V.

Still only halfway through Assassins Cutscene 3. :lol:

--A
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Avatar wrote:I guess I'm eagerly awaiting Rome II and GTA V.

Still only halfway through Assassins Cutscene 3. :lol:

--A
Ah yes, they've certainly gone down the cutscene route with AC3, didn't they? If I may say so, (don't read if you don't want the style of finale potentially slightly spoiled)
Spoiler
The end was nothing like the previous ones; it was essentially just a cutscene, a chase sequence, then another cutscene, sadly.
But yeah, naturally I'm also fairly excited for Rome II - although I haven't really heard much about GTAV. How does that sound/look, in comparison to the previous entries in the series?

Post by Avatar »

Ha! Watch a cutscene. Walk 20 steps. Watch another cutscene. Cross the map. Watch another cutscene. :lol: It's pretty annoying.

GTA V is looking good. Returns to Los Santos of GTA San Andreas. Looks like some biggish gameplay changes, although nothing revolutionary.

Seems you get to play three different characters instead of one. They claim it's their biggest and most immersive sandbox yet.

Also apparently put a lot of work into the multiplayer, but I don't care about that.

Console release date is September, no word on PC release yet I think.

--A
Major Isoor
Woodhelvennin

Post by Major Isoor »

Ah, well the three-character thing sounds interesting! Hopefully they aren't just intending on using it as an excuse to strip away all your weapons, etc. when you reach certain points in the game, or something. But yeah, might have to look into that at some stage. Although sadly, as it's Rockstar, it'll no doubt be six months or so after the console release date before we see a PC port. :(
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

Avatar wrote:Assassins Cutscene 3.

--A
Well played!
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]

Post by Avatar »

NATHAN!

:lol: Wow, been a while man.

And thank you. I was quite proud of it. :lol:

(Oh, yes I finished it. I liked the 2 twists, the one at the beginning, and the one near the end. But yes...overall pretty disappointing.)

--A
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

I loved Assassin's Creed 3. Seems I'm the only one in the world who did. :P

Hermit Status Alpha will be initiated in 2014 by:

Dragon Age: Inquisition
The Witcher 3
Thief
Sims 4
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut

Post by Avatar »

JazFusion wrote: Dragon Age: Inquisition
The Witcher 3
Hoping both of those will be good, but not in any rush to get them. Just played Witcher 2 actually. Enjoyed it, but didn't really find it replayable.

--A
JazFusion
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JazFusion »

JazFusion wrote: Dragon Age: Inquisition
The Witcher 3
Hoping both of those will be good, but not in any rush to get them. Just played Witcher 2 actually. Enjoyed it, but didn't really find it replayable.

--A
I actually recently played Witcher 2, as well. I reeeeally loved it. Whose path did you take? Iorveth's or Roche's? Both have completely different story lines. (I played both, but enjoyed Iorveth's more.) I'd recommend a second play through, but choose the opposite of what you did the first time around.

CD Projekt Red says Witcher 3 is going to be open world, and 20% bigger than Skyrim. Dragon Age 3 is supposed to be bigger, and more open world, too.

Good thing both are supposed to release right before winter sets in. ;)
"Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt." - Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “PC & Console Games”