Should women be allowed to go topless?

Archive From The 'Tank

Should women be allowed to go topless in public?

Yes
57%
No
14%
In limited circumstances
24%
No opinion
5%

Total votes: 37

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Should women be allowed to go topless?

Post by [Syl] »

"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

I've often thought that American nudity taboos are a little extreme. If for no other reason, because so many women are embarressed to do something as natural as breastfeeding their babies in public.
Love as thou wilt.

Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

I could make a bunch of arguments involving free speech and equality, but basically we can do that right after I just give the whole idea a big "HELL YEAH!"
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
ChoChiyo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ChoChiyo »

Hmm...well, I can say I won't be going topless anytime in this millenia....but if others want to, that's their concern.

In fact, it should not be any different from a man's running around shirtless.

Of course, we Americans sort of hold the immaturity title of the known universe.

And just a note for my dear friend Plissken--remember, if women did run around topless en mass, there'd be a lot of people who did not look like Jennifer Lopez exposing sagging, bulbous, stretch-marked, baby chewed boobies, some of which might hang down to their waists...or beyond.

Heh heh heh

I'm just saying....

Empress Cho hammers the KABC of Evil.

"If Ignorance is Bliss, Ann Coulter must be the happiest woman in the universe!"

Take that, you Varlet! :P
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

duchess,

I agree with you. For a country so sex-obssessed why the nudity phobia?

I voted "in limited circumstances" here.

What do you guys think?
Plissken
Lord

Post by Plissken »

ChoChiyo wrote: And just a note for my dear friend Plissken--remember, if women did run around topless en mass, there'd be a lot of people who did not look like Jennifer Lopez exposing sagging, bulbous, stretch-marked, baby chewed boobies, some of which might hang down to their waists...or beyond.

Heh heh heh

I'm just saying....
You know, women are always so convinced that men are hung up on strange things...
“If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.”
-- James Madison

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

I think at the very least that women should feel comfortable enough to be able to feed their babies without fuss, bother, or shame.
Love as thou wilt.

ChoChiyo
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ChoChiyo »

Heh heh heh

I'm just teasing you.

I had this mental image of my (very) well endowed grannies strolling along with their pendulous mammaries exposed, and I just had to share...

And because of genetics....

Well, I don't think I need or want to say more there.

heh heh heh

Empress Cho hammers the KABC of Evil.

"If Ignorance is Bliss, Ann Coulter must be the happiest woman in the universe!"

Take that, you Varlet! :P
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Well, not every shirtless man on the beach is built like Adonis, either. People come in all shapes and sizes and ages and colors.

One of my friends was mourning the chance to wear two piece bathing suits a couple of weeks ago. She donated a kidney to her cousin, and saved the cousin's life. But the operation left a couple of big scars. I quietly told my friend that those scars are a true badge of honor, and that if anyone thought she was ugly because of them, it was their problem, not her problem.

This beautiful person thought people would gawk at her and think she was ugly because she had a couple of scars. And sadly, I knew she was right and that some people actually would. :( :( :(

Our society has way too many hangups about physical appearance, nudity, partial nudity, and stuff like that sometimes. :( :( :(
Love as thou wilt.

[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

I think women should be allowed the same rights as men, so I voted yes. Do I think it will ever happen... Not in my lifetime.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Worm of Despite
Lord

Post by Worm of Despite »

Depends on what they look like.
ChoChiyo wrote:baby chewed boobies
Thanks for the imagery. Ruined my life.
"I support the destruction of the Think-Tank." - Avatar, August 2008
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Well the thing is, if one half naked person on the beach isn't your cup of tea, just don't look at them. :) Look at other people, who are more to your taste, instead. :lol: :lol:
Love as thou wilt.

wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

Is this a question about the rights of breast-bearers? Or the rights of breast-not-wanna-viewers?

Is the freedom of women more important than the freedom of the (not necessarilly overly) squeamish?

(Is a person allowed to yell "breast!" in a crowded theatre? :wink:)
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Wayfriend wrote:Or the rights of breast-not-wanna-viewers?
I don't need to see man-boob every time I set foot on a beach, and yet... there it is. :?

In truth, I have no opinion.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

The comedian Ron White said it best: "Once you've seen one woman naked, you want to see the rest of them naked."
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Personally, I don't want to see the breasts of every other woman who walks by, and in my experience a lot of women don't like the idea of going topless; but I think those who want to should have the option. I vote yes.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Why was it banned in the first place? Voted yes.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

dlbpharmd wrote:The comedian Ron White said it best: "Once you've seen one woman naked, you want to see the rest of them naked."
:LOLS: "Okay, that's enough. Roll 'em back up."
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I don't appreciate you mocking people who want to see breasts, calling us names and belittle our beliefs. I'm hurt and offended, and I'm making a stand. You terrify me and your name makes me cringe - Alynna Lis Eachann - how could anyone not construe that name as a pagan attack on breast lovers? Your anti-breast ways are so entrenched I can already hear the cries of "Yes! Another breast fan felled!". Well I've tried to be tolerant of your breast-hating ways, by insulting and deriding you cruelly - how could I be more tolerant? But you haven't returned the favour, so now I sink to my slow death, drowning in the milk squirted from your tainted anti-breasts.

Goodbye, oh breastless clique!

Did I say clique? Damn. I meant...er...I haven't been here before, you know...seriously...
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

:haha:

Return to “Coercri”