Gift of White Gold

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

What would be a good inscription for White Gold ring given to SRD from KW

Be true
59%
Unbeleiver
18%
KW
12%
OTHER
12%

Total votes: 17

Gift of White Gold

Post by Guest »

hey,does anyone know if KW ever sent SRD a white gold ring??Danlo,Cate,anyone...I thought that would be a fab idea and am willing to get same if some one can figure out how to get it to SRD with "OUR" regards.Unless of course everyone wants to kick-in w/ an ad/mod handling purchase.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

I think this has been debated before, and rejected.

Post by Guest »

where?i followed the entire thread and could not find a conclusion
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

"Other": Made in Japan
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

saltheart wrote:where?i followed the entire thread and could not find a conclusion
I don't recall the exact thread. My impression was that SRD is a very private person and would not appreciate such a gift. Anyone else remember anything about this past discussion?
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

I wasn't part of the discussion, but I think SRD gets uncomfortable enough getting birthday wishes from complete strangers. A white gold ring would definitely be too much.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
kevinswatch
"High" Lord
Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.

Post by kevinswatch »

Yeah, that'd be a fun way to freak out SRD...send him a ring with the engraving "We love you." Heh.-jay
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

dlbpharmd wrote:My impression was that SRD is a very private person and would not appreciate such a gift.
I agree ... but everyone likes a gift! And everyone likes appreciation. Just don't make it something that's intimate or personal. Underwear is right out. A shrine devoted to his works, available to all on the interet, would be nice ... wait, that's Kevin's Watch. Hmm...
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Imigine yourself in SRD's position.

You drag yourself out of bed one morning, swatting the alarm clock as you go. Shamble downstairs, bleary eyed. Make some coffee, then go to get the mail. "Hmm, what's this funny little envelope?" you muse to yourself. "Oh. It's...a personalised wedding ring from a group of strangers." That afternoon, you sell your house and move to France.

While the wish to make such a gesture is understandable, I think it'd be enough to make anyone look over their shoulder when they leave the house, and SRD (as has been mentioned) is a very private person anyway - so he'd probably be powerfully disturbed. I think, from the point of view of the recipient, this teeters on the border of fanboy/stalker, and falls the wrong way.

But I completely understand the sentiment. We all admire and respect SRD, and it's natural to want to express that.
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Could a gift of said ring be presented in person en masse if/when another Elohim Fest with SRD occurs? Or would that stll make him uncomfortable?
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

That would seem to be a bit less disturbing, but still, if a large group of people who you don't really know give you an inscribed gold ring you're going to feel pretty uncomfortable about it.

I feel uncomfortable accepting gifts from people I know and love, I can't imagine taking a gift from people I don't even know, especially a gold ring. I doubt he'd accept it.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

CovenantJr wrote:Imigine yourself in SRD's position.

You drag yourself out of bed one morning, swatting the alarm clock as you go. Shamble downstairs, bleary eyed. Make some coffee, then go to get the mail. "Hmm, what's this funny little envelope?" you muse to yourself. "Oh. It's...a personalised wedding ring from a group of strangers." That afternoon, you sell your house and move to France.
ROTFL! Behold, my new signature... unfortunately, there weren't enough characters to attribute it to you properly. :(
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Menolly wrote:Could a gift of said ring be presented in person en masse if/when another Elohim Fest with SRD occurs? Or would that stll make him uncomfortable?
The people who were at last year's E'fest could answer this best. Danlo? Fist? Duchess?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:ROTFL! Behold, my new signature... unfortunately, there weren't enough characters to attribute it to you properly. :(
:oops: :lol:
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

What about something that is more of an honor than a gift? Like, make him the recipient of the Kevin's Watch First Anual Author of the Year Award, which is a small golden statue of a :wink: . Okay, I'm joking. But, really, something more along that line of thought might be conceivable. It's a tribute to an author without being a personal gift.
The Somberlain
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by The Somberlain »

We could pool together and give him a zone implant instead ;)

That'll teach him to take breaks while he's writing Fatal Revenant.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

Wayfriend wrote:What about something that is more of an honor than a gift? Like, make him the recipient of the Kevin's Watch First Anual Author of the Year Award, which is a small golden statue of a :wink: . Okay, I'm joking. But, really, something more along that line of thought might be conceivable. It's a tribute to an author without being a personal gift.
I never noticed this post before. I like the idea; if we want to give him something, a professional accolade or similar might be a better option than the white gold ring.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

We could pool together and give him a zone implant instead

That'll teach him to take breaks while he's writing Fatal Revenant
:LOLS:

I like that idea...
Ah, but which of the 'Watch' personelle would have the command word(s)... :twisted:
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
studraver69

Does Stephen even want a ring from his fans?

Post by studraver69 »

I suppose he's open minded enough to occasionally lurk here but what would it suggest to him? Especially from the male fans?

What that he has a bunch of gay stalkers?

Didn't he go through at least a nasty divorce or 2 . . . ? Wouldn't he resent a ring as a bad memory?

I'm under the impression the whole saga was inspired by his wife cold heartedly dumping him . . . and in many respects Thomas Ccovenant is his own alter ego going through various stages of mid-life crisises . . .
Last edited by studraver69 on Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i'll take the damn ring.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”