memorable 'scenes'

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

memorable 'scenes'

Post by Usivius »

I am going to bring up this topic on a couple of the SRD novel threads. I'm one of those readers who absorbs intent, plot, 'feel' of a novel more so than literal words and text. Meaning, I am not a good memorizer of text. But I am always left with 'images' from SRD's novels that stick with my for a very long time and in a powerful way.
My question to you all is: "What part of Runes has stuck with you?"

So far, having only read it once, I am struck (as many I am sure are) by the last 'image', of TC, Jeremiah and the others, riding towards Revelstone; Jeremiah clutching the red car and seemingly 'normal'... Wow, what a lcosing image to leave a reader...
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

1) Foul's 2nd conversation with Linden at the stream.

2) The fall of Kevin's Watch
Phantasm
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Phantasm »

Meeting the mahdoubt - I picture her like my Grandma used to be.
Quote - John Smeaton (Terrorists take note)

"This is Glasgow- we'll just set aboot ye"

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Linden's party crossing under the waterfall

te Ramen among the kresh as Linden's party was overtaken by the wolves

the grass spreading out before Linden's party as it approaches the Verge of Wandering

the Ranyhyn

the halls of Revelstone
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
lurch
The Gap Into Spam

Sorry...

Post by lurch »

...Runes is too fresh in my mind. Bring up any scene and I can visualize it.
This same thread over in the TC arena is different because its been awhile since last read,,so what is in my mind about that has "sticking power"..
..Some scenes that come very easily due to the high drama..the storm wipping around Linden..Joan getting blasted by lightening and the Roger being filled with led..Again, just about any scene in the land,,especially the one morning Linden wakes up at pre-dawn ,,with her health sense restored , the high mountains towering around her , etc....The whole drinking from the Fountain with the Ranyhyn still strikes me as very surreal,,and the summoning and entering the caesure,,Anele as fire breather has left an impression on my brain that seems easy to acess..The ur-viles and their black snake finding the Staff ...Esmer strolling out of time coming up to meet with the party seeking the Staff..its just one of those,,"wtf is he doing here?" moments that I felt as if I was one of the party...Maybe thats indicative of my overall sense of Runes,,It just seems so much more accesible,,or easily accessible,,and why so much of the book I have no problem visualizing. Even inside of revelstone,,or inside the caesures..lots of fun to see. When i last read the 1st and 2nd chrons and even when last read TheGap series..i still hadn't found algae. This brain food i take dailey is the difference,,imho.....MEL
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

The Fall of Kevin's Watch.

That moment, scarcely minutes into Linden's arrival in the Land, shocked me to the core. It brought back all the amazement, even anguish, of The Wounded Land, and the dire straits that the Land had come to. Sort of, "If he's destroyed the Watch already, what else can we expect?"

TC's "appearance" at the end was not enjoyed. I'll never forget the physical impact of his death at the end of WGW, how impressed I was that the author had ended his series, (I thought), with the death of the main character, after bringing us such a torturous route. His death was such a focal point in the tale of the anti-hero. I felt almost cheated when he reappeared, as though what I'd experienced had been for nothing. :)

Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

I have to agree that the fall of Kevin's Watch shocked me and the image played slowly in my head for many days after. Thanks for reminding me.
But I don't necessarily agree with the TC comment by Avatar. Yes, TC's death was so powerful (and necessary). But after reading Runes and slowly realizing how powerful this last series was going to be, and how potentially ANYTHING can happen (a feeling I have not felt in any of the TC novels before, unlike, say, Mordant's Need or Gap), and although the appearance of TC shocked and excited me, I did not feel the author had betrayed the emotions I felt in 'White Gold Weilder'. I am going to suspend any notions at this point and have faith that SRD will give it meaning in the end.

:2c:
Immanentizing The Eschaton

Post by Avatar »

:) No doubt he will.

But his death at the end of WGW was a truly "pivotal" moment for me, a violent reinforcement of the "truth" as I see it. In a very real way, it was the perfect ending, underscoring everything in all the books. To undo that so (apparently) easily, disappointed me.

Still, as you say, we don't know enough of how it will play out. Can't wait. ;)

--A
Khaliban
Watchman, Second Class

Post by Khaliban »

The point I realized Roger was a Raver. He's been in Roger for ten years. What will Roger be when he leaves? Who will Roger become? That potential for pain was the most Donaldsonian moment in the book. Like Davies Hyland only worse.
"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Smashwords: Discovered Mate: A Tale of Desire and Chess

Some Stories: FanFiction or Archive Of Our Own
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

What makes you think Roger is a raver?
Khaliban
Watchman, Second Class

Post by Khaliban »

From Runes:

"With a negligent flick of his wrist, Roger swung the gun against Sandy's head. She sagged to the side; nearly fell."

From TPTP:

"'Triock!' Covenant placed his hand on the man's shoulder.

Instantly, Triock spun and struck Covenant across the cheek.

The blow did not appear powerful; Triock swung shortly, as if he were trying to pull back his arm. But force erupted at the impact, threw Covenant to the ground several feet away."

A tenuous connection I'll grant you, but something about those two moments sounded similar, not so much a repetition of action but of mannerism, of personality. Viewed as a Raver, much of Roger's actions make sense. He was sent to earth by Foul to get the ring, to wait for Foul to summon him.

"'He said--this is a direct quote--"I was just passing the time."'"

"'According to him,' Megan began, 'he doesn't remember much of his early life.'"

"Where had Roger acquired such murderous skills?"

There's more, but none of it definative. Linden did feel a Raver controlling Joan. That was enough for me. Roger controlled Joan in the hospital. Roger is the Raver. It's all speculation, of course, and, this being Donaldson, curveballs are to be expected. We'll find out in a book or two.
"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Smashwords: Discovered Mate: A Tale of Desire and Chess

Some Stories: FanFiction or Archive Of Our Own
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

8O ....oooo I like that idea. I was just feeling that Roger was being subtley influenced by Foul through dreams, etc... But a Raver makes more sense... I like it. And I get tingles thinking about another meeting with Roger. He is the type of character SRD writes so well: cocky, powerful and evil...
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Anything's possible. The rending of samadhi Sheol by Nom could have changed many things about the Ravers and their abilities. Perhaps when samadhi recovered from that, he has the ability to travel between worlds. Or, perhaps since Nom consumed what was left of samadhi, Nom/samadhi is now a force to be reckoned with. Who knows? As SRD would say, "RAFO."
NightBlaze
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by NightBlaze »

dlbpharmd wrote:Anything's possible. The rending of samadhi Sheol by Nom could have changed many things about the Ravers and their abilities. Perhaps when samadhi recovered from that, he has the ability to travel between worlds. Or, perhaps since Nom consumed what was left of samadhi, Nom/samadhi is now a force to be reckoned with. Who knows? As SRD would say, "RAFO."
Read And Find Out??
¥ NightBlaze ¥
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Yes, sorry!
NightBlaze
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by NightBlaze »

well, I guess I can add "DUH" to my name now eh?
Thanks for the info :)
¥ NightBlaze ¥
Nerdanel
Bloodguard

Post by Nerdanel »

1. Anele and Stave talking about the Demondim for the first time.

2. Linden standing against the Demondim with the Staff of Law.

3. The first appearance of the Demondim.

You may have noticed that I found the Demondim very memorable beings.

The Illearth War(?) on the Demondim: "powerful and austere".

The Runes of the Earth on the Demondim: (among other things) "Clad in cerements and rot, the Demondim arose from the graves of the fallen, and their touch was fire." WHAT? TRIPLE-WHAT? I think the revelation about the natures of the Viles and the Demondim must have been the among the biggest surprises I have experienced in my history of reading books. The ending of The Riddle-Master of Hed is the only thing I can think of that compares.
Spring
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Spring »

1) The end of WGW.

2) The death of Seadreamer at the One Tree.

3) Any time Anele speaks. He is so sad.

4) The entire prolouge of RoTE.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

Spring wrote: 3) Any time Anele speaks. He is so sad.
My most memorable scene, was during the fight with the Kresh, when Anele was telling the story about the One tForest through the eyes, of the mouintains.

That touched me deeply.
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

The fall of the Watch

Anele under the waterfall

Stave forsaking his people to go with Linden (Almost because of the dispassion with which he takes the news, I find it heartbreaking that a simple decision puts him in solitary confinement for the rest of his life).
Misanthropes of the world, unite!

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”