memorable 'scenes'

Book 1 of the Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Moderator: dlbpharmd

finn
The Gap Into Spam

Post by finn »

I agree with some of that BossK, the fall of the watch could have been a dramatic climax to the whole first book, but got a bit lost I think in the ongoing action. It will be interesting to see what the ramifications are could this be a way of shutting the door to "real" world? I too liked the choice of Stave, tho' his motives are still open to question in my book.

A favourite moment to add for me was Stave re-routing the party to Revelstone, I did not see it coming and was wondering how the journey that took so long in LFB was going to happen so quickly, then Bam!

However no moment has yet eclipsed the moment of the whole TC series yet for me.....that was one word, NOM!

Awesome stuff.
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

Agreed that the fall of the watch was not given the gravity I put on it in my own mind. I was absolutely floored that it was gone, but the action proceeded so fast that nobody else seemed to remark on it.
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
wayfriend

Post by wayfriend »

bossk wrote:Agreed that the fall of the watch was not given the gravity I put on it in my own mind. I was absolutely floored that it was gone, but the action proceeded so fast that nobody else seemed to remark on it.
Actually, I liked (in a sense) how the early demise of Haven's Farm and Kevin's Watch contributed to the tone and mood of the story.
drew
The Gap Into Spam

Post by drew »

..Yeah, not only is The Watch gone, but so is Haven Farm..I never realized that..both TC's home and his usual starting point in the Land...gonzo!
I thought you were a ripe grape
a cabernet sauvignon
a bottle in the cellar
the kind you keep for a really long time
Mistweave
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mistweave »

One scene clearly stands above the rest for me, at least in the sense of experiencing a powerful 'wow' while reading - Linden walking into her lounge to find Revelstone and Mount Thunder made out of toy bricks. 8O

To me that was so unexpected. Detailed knowledge of two iconic locations in the Land (indeed, the two opposing powers [The Two Towers, lol]) by someone in the 'real' world other than Linden or Covenant. And a child at that.
Relayer
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Relayer »

drew wrote:
Spring wrote:3) Any time Anele speaks. He is so sad.
My most memorable scene, was during the fight with the Kresh, when Anele was telling the story about the One tForest through the eyes, of the mouintains.

That touched me deeply.
Yes, me too. Along with the fall of the Watch, the scenes with Esmer at the Verge, and Linden finding Jeremiah has built Revelstone and Mt. Thunder. And... so many more!!

The most intense, memorable scene ever for me was the Ritual of Desecration in TPTP. I had chills for hours!!

I'm now listening to the audio of Runes and am finding it to be much more powerful and intense than when I read it. Probably because I've been out of SRD's universe for so long, it took me the whole book to really connect with it. I had the sense when I read it that there was a whole level I was missing.

R
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Bossk wrote:Agreed that the fall of the watch was not given the gravity I put on it in my own mind.
I think that TC would have thought that there was just a little bit TO MUCH gravity ;)
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
jwaneeta
Bloodguard

Post by jwaneeta »

I found the image of Linden and her party galloping into the caesure genuinely stirring. Excellent visual. SRD's always done a good job with cavalry charges. :)
the rue of the melody could not be mistaken
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

Post by samrw3 »

I just re-read Runes and just loved when Stave declares his alliance with Linden. For him to rise to that occasion and for his bravery just jumped out at me as one of the most poweful moments in the chronicles but especially in the Runes.
Not every person is going to understand you and that's okay. They have a right to their opinion and you have every right to ignore it.
Tefazipipo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Tefazipipo »

I wonder, now that it's been mentioned... what if Roger is what the Ravers were before they were rendered bodiless? After all, who was their mother? For that matter, who was their father?!

AND WHAT HAPPENED TO BEREK'S QUEEN WHEN HE BECAME LORD OF THE LAND?!
On the internet, no one can see your evil smirk.
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Tefazipipo wrote:AND WHAT HAPPENED TO BEREK'S QUEEN WHEN HE BECAME LORD OF THE LAND?!
I'm guessing she declared The Staff of Law the First Ward, then went and lost it somewhere. :P
Tefazipipo
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Tefazipipo »

Hahah, I suppose so!
On the internet, no one can see your evil smirk.
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

I really liked the scene when Linden Avery was thinking about where the water in the stream was coming from, as it rushed down from far off up the trail and the mountains. The description was written in "stream of consciousness". It was like reading the older style of Stephen Donaldson, from way back in the first Chronicles.
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

The scene where the ur-vile shows up with vitrim is response to Linden Avery's plea and display of wild magic is my favorite moment in Runes, hands-down. :mrgreen:
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

^ Same pic again. Did you spam all over yourself?
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

I don't recall that scene being in Runes, but maybe I lack a special edition. :?
JIkj fjds j
The Gap Into Spam

Post by JIkj fjds j »

:roll: fjaskldf asdfj aeijrejfiqe rj u'q9e rrjoqpw qw9erq3rej'qejfoad
Cord Hurn
Servant of the Band

Post by Cord Hurn »

JIkj fjds j wrote::roll: fjaskldf asdfj aeijrejfiqe rj u'q9e rrjoqpw qw9erq3rej'qejfoad

Easy for you to say! :ct13:

Return to “The Runes of the Earth”