World of Warcraft

Zap! Woo hoo! High score! Computers, Consoles, and everything electronic.

Moderators: Cagliostro, lucimay, Creator, Sorus

Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

World of Warcraft

Post by Nathan »

This game is amazing. I've been completely hooked since the day I started playing. Unlike other MMORPGs you don't rely on killing endless streams of monsters to level up, there are hundreds (possibly thousands) of quests to do that keep you occupied and mean you don't get bored "grinding".

The market system is great, the PvP system is great and the classes are well balanced. There are diablo-esque skill trees to choose from (I always loved diablo) and fighting is always fun because there are so many abilities to pick between. The world is huge, and quests send you around the place to make sure you explore a lot of it. Instance dungeons (a version created for each group entering) mean that for the important quests you'll always find the monster you need alive and kicking.

I can't see myself getting bored with this anytime soon.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I went for Guild Wars as there are no monthly fees...although i do want World of Warcraft.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Queeaqueg
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Queeaqueg »

I would play it, if my PC were powerful enough
DEATH IS A PREFERABLE ALTERNATIVE TO COMMUNISM!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I am tempted, however Battlefield 2 has my eye.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

I've been playing the demo.
Very good from what ive seen.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

My housemate plays hour upon hour of WoW every day. When you go to bed, he'll be playing and when you come down for breakfast he'll already be back on. He says that because the subscription is relatively expensive, he feels like he's wasting money if he plays other games. It looks really good though, and he's got a few characters up to level 60 already.

I just wish there was enough bandwidth left over for me to play Halo without lagging like a mofo.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Just bought World of Warcraft.
Waddley wrote:your Highness Sir Dr. Loredoctor, PhD, Esq, the Magnificent, First of his name, Second Cousin of Dragons, White-Gold-Plate Wielder!
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

I am in the Argent Dawn roleplay server, playing a Night Elf Hunter by the name of Eenthhruls.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

Interesting name. Careful though, it looks a bit unpronouncable, you could be forced to change it if someone complains.
[spoiler]If you change the font to white within spoiler tags does it break them?[/spoiler]
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

People can force you to change your name? Why?
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Nathan wrote:Interesting name. Careful though, it looks a bit unpronouncable, you could be forced to change it if someone complains.
It was originally Eenth Hruls, but because of the way names are set up - no spaces, it turned off the second capital. And if someone complains, I'll just state that it is a fantasy setting. They need to use some imagination.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Murrin wrote:People can force you to change your name? Why?
Because on the Roleplay server, they want legit fantasy names and proper roleplay. However, I when I started playing I actually witnessed several people using the chat in a very unfantasy way.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I finally caved to peer pressure and signed up to WoW and am loving it so far. I too fell foul of the character name formatting, at first I wanted to call him ak-Haru but it would't allow the hyphen. Tried akHaru but of course that got changed to Akharu automatically. Still sounds pretty 'fantasy' though.

I'm a night elf rogue on the Runetotem server. Is it just me, or is the only elfin thing about night elves the pointy ears? I've never seen such butch elves.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

They're less butch than the humans/dwarves etc. Compared to them the night elves look stick thin!

The one problem I had when playing world of warcraft was that there are loads of quests for the lower levels (when you don't really need them, as levelling is fast anyway) but then they begin to dry up at about level 40-45, around the time when levelling starts to get slower, and you really need quests to keep you interested.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

I'm approaching level 20 at the mo, so quests aplenty. I'm grinding the last 3rd of each level though, just to make the quests that bit easier.

I'm currently making the long trek from Auberdine to Stormwind to be trained by their intelligence service. I'm only half-way and the monsters are already way too high to consider fighting.

We could start up a TCTC themed guild, call ourselves the Bloodguard or something. Anyone got 100 gold kicking around?
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I've got 100 gold kicking around, but since we're all in different realms we won't be able to all join one guild.

Unless we all start again.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

My character is already in my housemate's guild, but I could easily start a second. Can you transfer a character to a different realm?

Also, are guild's exclusively Horde or Alliance? I quite fancy a Tauren Shaman for my next character.
Nathan
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Nathan »

I think they're exclusive to one faction, but I've never tested that out.

I don't think there's a way to switch characters between realms, unfortunately
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

The Modest Gentleman wrote:I don't think there's a way to switch characters between realms, unfortunately
Yes, you can. And I am very keen on forming up with other KW players - I think it would be fantastic!

Perhaps everybody come over to Argent Dawn server? It's a RP one and alot of people play in character.
Loredoctor
Lord

Post by Loredoctor »

Nav wrote:We could start up a TCTC themed guild, call ourselves the Bloodguard or something. Anyone got 100 gold kicking around?
My character - a noble, Forsaken Warlock has alot of money.

Return to “PC & Console Games”