"Beren & Luthien"

Not whitegold ring chat. The one ring chat.

Moderator: High Lord Tolkien

Zahir
The Gap Into Spam

"Beren & Luthien"

Post by Zahir »

Elsewhere, I seen talk now and again about a film version of The Silmarillion. Now this is ambitious, to put it mildly, given the sheer scope of the work! But thinking about it, methought maybe it would work to tell one story that tied together the whole theme and plot strands of the First Age epic.

Imagine if you will a voiceover prologue essentially explaining the origins of the Elves, Valinor, the Trees and the Silmarils, and Morgoth's crimes. It would end with Feanor's Oath and leading the Noldor back to Middle Earth--where the Elves meet a strange new race, Men...

Now the story picks up with Beren. Since Tolkien never really finished this tale, it would have be editted to a more workable shape (Luthien is kidnapped how many times?) but the essence is certainly there. Phillipa Boyens in particular would be a very fine writer for this. Let us saw the tale unfolds before our eyes, with the voice-over occaisionally filling in some details.

Until at last, Beren dies and Luthien goes to join him.

Then, we see who has been speaking. A distinguished looking Man (or is he an Elf?) telling the tale to twin boys, both of them clearly elves (or are they). He tells them of Luthien's plea to Mandos, and the prophecy that only one who could speak for both peoples--Men and Elves--would bring the Valar to Middle Earth. So it was that Luthien made her choice, returned to live out a mortal life with her beloved. They both died many years ago, but they had a child...and to that child came the holy jewel.

Elros and Elrond (the twins) thank their father for the story, as he prepares to leave. His glorious swan ship awaits, and his bride Elwing will join him with the Silmaril. Maybe this time, they will reach Valinor. The boys watch the ship sail away, the light of the Silmaril still visible for a long, long time. Elros asks his brother if he thinks maybe the fate of Men is better than that of Elves. Elrond disagrees.

Later, a new star appears in the heavens. Elvish refugees and their allies, as well as the forces of Morgoth are amazed. The sons of Feanor recognize what it must be--a Silmaril. Someone has brought the Silmaril to Valinor, and Elbereth has placed it in the sky. What can it mean?

Meanwhile, in Angband, all his servants cower as Morgoth sees the new star and reacts with fear...

Anyway, that was my idea. What do you think?
"O let my name be in the Book of Love!
It be there, I care not of the other great book Above.
Strike it out! Or, write it in anew. But
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

I love it! But, I am not a critic most would agree with.

Thanks for sharing.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

(or is he an Elf?)
(or are they).
Its part Fantasy part Mystery!
I like it actually, the battle would be amazing - and the fights with werewolves would look ace.
I bet the dont get the Simarialls looking right (as in how i see them ;) ) though. :P
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.

Return to “J.R.R. Tolkien Forum”