Hile Troy - What a Berk!!!

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Fine, I'n not going to try and convert your misguided opinions to the light.
Just know this:
In the words of the great one (me) "Hile troy rocks! judgeth not him through the eyes of the unbeliever. judgeth not him for his ignorance of the preceeding story. Only must thou judgeth him in his own right. Then you will see'th the true'th."
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

and the true'th was he irritate'thed me :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

No one from our world irritated me, not TC not LA not HT. Yeah right! :D Come on they're all like New Yorkers in New Mexico-they can't help irritating :D 8)
fall far and well Pilots!
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

:haha: :haha:
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

Troy was a berk... Caer-Caveral was cool, and Linden just pisses me off...
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
Roynish
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Roynish »

A berk. Well I did find him irritating but hey any love triangle does that to a man I would argue. Well and to be the only guy in the history of the land who goes around wearing sunnies reeks of pretension.
He probably just wore them so he could perve on all the good lookin' babes in armour that were part of his army. Or the buxom wenches of Revelstone for that matter.
Seriously though one of Donaldsons main objectives in the chronicles appears to be to create some of the most annoying and irritating characters in literary history just so they can have a chance at redemption. Although Findail and the Elohim in general seem to be extremely flawed beings of power and absolute arrogance.
Though he does heal Vain after the urvile battle. Maybe his guilt just got to him or the power of the urvile lore was just too much for him to bear.
Which obviously at the end it was.
Landwaster
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Landwaster »

Hile Troy : Graduated UC Berkeley
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

:lol: Well said ;)

Hile Troy was berk. Perhaps his main berkish quality was his supreme arrogance. A close second was his obliviousness ( :?) to the possibility of Foul not doing what he expected. Verdict - medium berk
Skyweir
Lord of Light

Post by Skyweir »

Roynish wrote:A berk. Well I did find him irritating but hey any love triangle does that to a man I would argue. Well and to be the only guy in the history of the land who goes around wearing sunnies reeks of pretension.
He probably just wore them so he could perve on all the good lookin' babes in armour that were part of his army. Or the buxom wenches of Revelstone for that matter.
Seriously though one of Donaldsons main objectives in the chronicles appears to be to create some of the most annoying and irritating characters in literary history just so they can have a chance at redemption. Although Findail and the Elohim in general seem to be extremely flawed beings of power and absolute arrogance.
Though he does heal Vain after the urvile battle. Maybe his guilt just got to him or the power of the urvile lore was just too much for him to bear.
Which obviously at the end it was.
lol .. excellent myriad of points ;) lol

Cov.jr. wrote:]Hile Troy was berk. Perhaps his main berkish quality was his supreme arrogance. A close second was his obliviousness ( ) to the possibility of Foul not doing what he expected. Verdict - medium berk
medium level berk eh? lol ..

maybe Troy evolved from probably being a low level berk in our world to coming to the land and becoming a high level berk .. then graduated from berk-ness when he became CC ;) then he became cool ;)

verdict ...
Troy = berk

CC = cool forestaal
ImageImageImageImage
keep smiling 😊 :D 😊

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

I was thinking about this earlier. I thought "why no wheels?" The Landers didn't seem to have invented the wheel - I'm sure it would have made things much easier for the Warward if Troy had used his knowledge of unLandly devices and contraptions to build wagons or chariots or some such.

So...I revise my assessment. For being annoyingly sanctimonious despite not applying useful knowledge, and for employing with single-minded determination his breathtaking ability to produce futility from even the most fortuitous circumstances, I pronounce Hile Troy a thoroughbred pedigree berk.
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

Fouls army had wheels, there is somthing in TIW about
Spoiler
A certain group of demondim spawn attacking the food and carts at the back of Fouls army
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

oh and one more thing...

... not a berk, not a berk, notnotnotnot not a ber er er er erk, da da da, not a berk!
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

( that last post was a song)
Forestal
Bloodguard

Post by Forestal »

riiiiiight.... hierachy.... I'm gunna call the men in white coats and tell them you escaped now...

as for the wheel, i was thinking, the land probably didn't have the wheel because they dont have many horses to pull them...

BUT!

then i thought... gilden wheels! they move by themselves :)

lol, bumper sticker "who needs alloys, i got gilden!"
"Damn!!! Wildwood was unbelievably cool!!!!!" - Fist&Faith
"Yeah Forestal is the one to be bowed to!! All hail Forestal of the pantaloon intelligencia!" - Skyweir

I'm not on the Watch often, but I always return eventually.
hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

the newest alternative energy source, gilden.... oh wait, earthpower in general! Hey, I should be an enviromentalist!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Love as thou wilt.

hierachy
Lord

Post by hierachy »

duchess of malfi wrote:Image
Oh no! rousing the events of my past which I would rather forget!
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

And rousing the events of my past I should have remembered! Wow, this was a surprisingly well-written post :o I'm proud of my past self! :lol:
CovenantJr wrote:I was thinking about this earlier. I thought "why no wheels?" The Landers didn't seem to have invented the wheel - I'm sure it would have made things much easier for the Warward if Troy had used his knowledge of unLandly devices and contraptions to build wagons or chariots or some such.

So...I revise my assessment. For being annoyingly sanctimonious despite not applying useful knowledge, and for employing with single-minded determination his breathtaking ability to produce futility from even the most fortuitous circumstances, I pronounce Hile Troy a thoroughbred pedigree berk.
clarsen123
Servant of the Land

Post by clarsen123 »

I saw this question on another list years ago, which made me go "Yeah!" and this thread reminded me of it. Hile Troy is from our world, but who ever heard of a guy named "Hile"? Were his parents German? Thomas is common, Linden less so but still believable. Hile already was conspicuous enough not having eyes, so why did his parents curse him with a weird name? I always found that jarring when reading TIW.

I don't think Hile was necessarily a berk, there was some reason to his motives, some of which have been discussed here, from what I've read. I think a major motivation was that he was so overwhelmed that the Land gifted him with sight, and super-sight at that, that he overcompensated and was desperate to save something he loved. I've done that with chicks in the past, and it always ended up bad. Of course, I didn't have a Forestal as a relationship counsellor either.
CovenantJr
Lord

Post by CovenantJr »

clarsen123 wrote:who ever heard of a guy named "Hile"? Were his parents German? Thomas is common, Linden less so but still believable. Hile already was conspicuous enough not having eyes, so why did his parents curse him with a weird name? I always found that jarring when reading TIW.
In a world where people name their daughters "Melvina", I can believe any name going.

Seriously though, I would be interested to discover how SRD came up with such a random name.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”