Arya - What will happen to her? - *SPOILERS*

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Arya - What will happen to her? - *SPOILERS*

Post by Revan »

I've gotta admit; Arya is definitly one of my favourite characters in this story; she's one of three characters that I've been a fan of all the way through.

I was gutted at the part in book three, when Cat and Robb just died, and the end of a chapter from Arya's poitnc of view said something along the lines of "She was still running when she took an axe to the back of the head". I'd thought she'd died. Was I the only one who thought this? heh.

Anyways, back to the discussion at hand, which is: What do you think is going to happen to Arya? Where is she going to go, not just location wise, but what type of person will she become? What role will she have to play i the large scheme of things?

Theories anyone? 8)
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

She'll be a Faceless Man.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

A nice detailed reply is what I've always come to expect from you Murrin, and you never seem to fail me.
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Haha. I didn't see the need to elucidate, considering that the same theory has been stated by many other people and is very well known. She'll train with the Faceless Men, be sent back to Westeros to kill someone important - probably a character we the readers will be horrified by the idea of Arya killing. Some people have suggested she may be sent after Alayne Stone (Sansa), which would be very interesting indeed.
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Re: Arya - What will happen to her? - *SPOILERS*

Post by Encryptic »

Darth Revan wrote:I've gotta admit; Arya is definitly one of my favourite characters in this story; she's one of three characters that I've been a fan of all the way through.

I was gutted at the part in book three, when Cat and Robb just died, and the end of a chapter from Arya's poitnc of view said something along the lines of "She was still running when she took an axe to the back of the head". I'd thought she'd died. Was I the only one who thought this? heh.

Anyways, back to the discussion at hand, which is: What do you think is going to happen to Arya? Where is she going to go, not just location wise, but what type of person will she become? What role will she have to play i the large scheme of things?

Theories anyone? 8)
Heh...I figured Martin wasn't going to kill her off so pointlessly, after letting her survive so much else. I figured whoever nailed her with the axe probably just hit her with the handle or something and knocked her out. "His axe took her in the back of the head" is ambiguous enough that this seems plausible.

The Faceless Man theory is interesting. I haven't heard that one before, but I'd not doubt that Arya would be a perfect fit for the job.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

I was suspicious of the "axe to the back of the head" sentence, myself. Seems like Martin had wasted too much effort in character development to just kill her like that. I was not surprised when I came across another chapter about her.

I do get the feeling she will turn into a professional killer. Remember the old woman on the hill saying she had a black heart? And how the first thing she thought of when the woman at the docks ripped her off for the horse was that she ought to kill her?

I like the Faceless Man theory. I think it would mean, though, that nobody woud ever find out she was alive. I'm afraid she might get sent to kill Jon, though. That would be sad.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
OsRavan
Woodhelvennin

Post by OsRavan »

well
Spoiler
wek now for a fact she is becomign a faceless man. having heard george read her spoiler chapters i have to say her stuff is going ot be real cool
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Didn't Jon say at one point something about how someday they would find her dead with a needle in her hand? Made my wonder if she would die holding her beloved sword Needle... :(
Spoiler
And in the spoiler chapters she's definately on the way to starting training as a faceless man.
I worry about Arya more than any of the other Stark kids. There's a darkness to her...
Love as thou wilt.

Khaliban
Watchman, Second Class

Post by Khaliban »

The fate of the children is foreshadowed by the wolf pups. It was mentioned Nymeria was becoming a queen to wolves and leading them into battle.
"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Smashwords: Discovered Mate: A Tale of Desire and Chess

Some Stories: FanFiction or Archive Of Our Own
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

That would be a shame if she did become a bad guy. She's fierce, but she's not bad. I like her. I hope she becomes a good person... truthfully though, that hope looks bleak.
OsRavan
Woodhelvennin

Post by OsRavan »

well are assasins actually bad people? not neccecerily
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Khaliban wrote:The fate of the children is foreshadowed by the wolf pups. It was mentioned Nymeria was becoming a queen to wolves and leading them into battle.
Foreshadowed, or just reflected? Because Lady's dead, and what does that mean for Sansa?
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:
Khaliban wrote:The fate of the children is foreshadowed by the wolf pups. It was mentioned Nymeria was becoming a queen to wolves and leading them into battle.
Foreshadowed, or just reflected? Because Lady's dead, and what does that mean for Sansa?
Well, she's quite spiritless and hapless, so I guess you could say she's "dead inside". The other kids were/are fierce and self-confident in the standard Stark manner.
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

bossk wrote:
Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:
Well, she's quite spiritless and hapless, so I guess you could say she's "dead inside". The other kids were/are fierce and self-confident in the standard Stark manner.
I do think that Sansa will rise above where her character started off at the start of A Game of Thrones. I can see her being the one who rebulids the North after Roose Bolton dies. However, Lady is dead, and I think that therefore Sansa will die as well. She will quite possibly be executed by whichever king is in power and manages to catch her. And I can see her going bravely to the block.

As for Anya, I'm a lot less worried about her than I am about Rickon. He is bordering on insanity. :?

Sum sui generis
Vs
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

No, Sansa is naive, she doesn't know bravery like what does Arya does. Rickon isn' that much of a main character; but yes, I think he is very much border mad.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Darth Revan wrote:No, Sansa is naive, she doesn't know bravery like what does Arya does. Rickon isn' that much of a main character; but yes, I think he is very much border mad.
Or at least she was naive. The way she has been treated by Joffrey, Cersei, Lysa and Baelish would have to shake her up a little bit though, don't you think.

Sansa has the potential to be one of Martin's greatest characters because she starts off so low; she is niether likeable nor heroic. She seems to reject the way of the North, with it's emphasis on the responsibilities of nobility, in favour of a more southern attitude in which she is girlishly caught up in the personal benefits.

However, she has been through just as much as her sbilings. She sold out practically her entire family because Cersei told her that Eddard would be spared if she did so, and then her father was executed in front of her. She was beaten regularly by her fiancee and his personal guard, and ridiculed almost consistantly by his mother.

Then, when she finally escapes King's Landing, she is effectively kidnapped by Baelish, a man who is about as trustworthy as a hungry badger, who marries and then murders her aunt to gain control of The Eyrie. Now this politically astute man looks as if he may take her under his wing and try to teach her a thing or two about the realities of adult life.

I think Sansa's story will be interesting. However, her fate is still tied to Lady's. I think that she will die before the end.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Khaliban
Watchman, Second Class

Post by Khaliban »

Darth Revan wrote:That would be a shame if she did become a bad guy. She's fierce, but she's not bad. I like her. I hope she becomes a good person... truthfully though, that hope looks bleak.
I just said "Queen of Wolves". I never said bad person. Besides, there is an opening in the northern throne.

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:Foreshadowed, or just reflected? Because Lady's dead, and what does that mean for Sansa?
She will die by the hand of a Stark; Jon, Rickon or Arya. I don't think Bran.

The real question is Rickon. Remember, Shaggydog is the most feral of all the pups, the one the other wolves fear.
"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Smashwords: Discovered Mate: A Tale of Desire and Chess

Some Stories: FanFiction or Archive Of Our Own
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Khaliban wrote:
Darth Revan wrote:That would be a shame if she did become a bad guy. She's fierce, but she's not bad. I like her. I hope she becomes a good person... truthfully though, that hope looks bleak.
I just said "Queen of Wolves". I never said bad person. Besides, there is an opening in the northern throne.

Alynna Lis Eachann wrote:Foreshadowed, or just reflected? Because Lady's dead, and what does that mean for Sansa?

The real question is Rickon. Remember, Shaggydog is the most feral of all the pups, the one the other wolves fear.
Hmmm, now that is an interesting thought about Sansa. 8O

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Khaliban wrote:
Ties in with the idea of Arya as a Faceless Man assassin, also.
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

And the dislike of Sansa and Arya surely must play a part in the future boys... very interesting...

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”