Feast Excerpt in book stores

Winter is coming...

Moderator: dANdeLION

tylertoo
Servant of the Land

Feast Excerpt in book stores

Post by tylertoo »

Hello. I'm new to this board and thrilled to see a GRRM forum. I read AGOT four years ago, then ACOK two years ago, and I recently finished ASOS (no, I'm not a slow reader, just read many other things in between).

Today while browsing in Borders I found a huge display with a new edition paperback of AGOT, on sale for $3.99. Above that were freebies -- "A Special Pre-publication Excerpt" of AFFC. Its called the Captain of the Guards Excerpt (as opposed to the Cersei excerpt I suppose). Its about 20 pages long.

The discounted price on the AGOT is a good idea on the publisher's part, to get newcomers hooked before the book 4 is published.
OsRavan
Woodhelvennin

Post by OsRavan »

its not a new chapter its the intro pov of the prince of dornes captain of the gaurd. you can find a summary on rans
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

So how many excerpts have been released/read, total? Cersei, the Captain of the Guard, something about Sam, something about Arya... it's gonna be half the book, pretty soon. :roll:
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

There are several Dorne chapters as well.

Check out the AFFC forum at Ran's for spoiler chapters:

b15.ezboard.com/basoiaf
OsRavan
Woodhelvennin

Post by OsRavan »

i persoanly have heard or read 10. we (the fangroups) have had

2 jaime

2 cercie

2 tyrion

2 arya

arms of the kraken. .a oclelciton of greyjoy chapter

2-3 dornish ones cant remember. atl east the captain of the gaurd and 1 pricness of dorne and the soiled knight. so 3

2 dany

1 sansa

1 jon

1 sam
tylertoo
Servant of the Land

Post by tylertoo »

Wow. I had no idea so many had been released. I take it these appeared at GRRM's website.

I guess the Dany, Jon and Sam chapters will be DWD and not FFC, since he has split the plot lines into two books.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

tylertoo,

Yes and many have been read at conventions, etc. and boarders at Ran's have provided synopses. :)
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

Considering that each book gets another 200 or so pages longer than the last, those excerpts are a drop in the bucket! Probably a good idea to keep fan fervor stoked if you're going to take such a long time to write the durn thing.
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
OsRavan
Woodhelvennin

Post by OsRavan »

some from his site, some at cons, some in special fantasy magazines. and summaries for all can be found at rans
caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

OMG! I better start reading. The only one I found was on his website.
The King has one more move.
OsRavan
Woodhelvennin

Post by OsRavan »

hes rotated 3-4 on his site. all the iron island oens were in a special adition of Dragon Magazine a couple of years ago. a couple have been given out to people on rans board as thank yous for birthday presents too i think
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Duchess emailed me "Arms of the Kraken." It was excellent. Made me want AFFC even more.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

The Captain of the Guard excerpt is fun. :) Really made me want to read the whole book. :) It's better being able to read the entire chapter rather than just getting the highlights reported from a convention, though those are great, too. :)

And I am glad we get to go visit Dorne. I have been wanting to visit that part of Westeros ever since I met the Red Viper in ASOS. :)
Spoiler
Don't the Sand Snakes sound cool????
I also think its a great idea to market AGOT at a very low price to hook in new readers as the next book in the series is about to be released. :) That's not the only series that's being done with, either -- the first book in Diane Gabaldon's series was also recently released at the same price (her latest book has just been released). So I picked up Outlander. :) I've only previously read her short story in the Legends 2 anthology, but that was good, and I though why not give her a try at $3.99? :)
Love as thou wilt.

caamora
The Purifier

Post by caamora »

Where did you see it, Duchess?
The King has one more move.
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

It was at Borders, Lady Caam. :)
Love as thou wilt.

tylertoo
Servant of the Land

Post by tylertoo »

I just found another excerpt, this on on-line at Locus Magazine.

www.locusmag.com/2005/Features/10_GRRM_Excerpt.html

Maybe this has been around, not sure.

Return to “George R. R. Martin Forum”