Dick Cavett

Talk about all your favorite series, shows, programs, news anchorpeople, ect.

Moderators: Cagliostro, sgt.null

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Dick Cavett

Post by Fist and Faith »

For those who know who he is, a three-disc set just came out: Rock Icons. An amazing list of guests. Bowie, Janis Joplin, George Harrison, Stevie Wonder, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, and on and on. I haven't watched much yet, but it's fantastic! Paul Simon is as cool as they come, and Janis is always amazing to watch. Dick is, of course, a riot.

Ray Charles' appearances come out Sept 13, and John & Yoko on Nov 1.
All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Menolly
A Lowly Harper
Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...

Post by Menolly »

Oh, how cool is that! I'll definitely have to look for it.

Thanks Fist!
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I never caught Dick Cavett's own show, but I enjoyed his appearances on the Tonight Show. I came to really like Cavett's low-key style. Er, sorry, Fist--I meant riotous, laugh-a-minute style...
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Cavett is the only TV personality who can actually interview David Crosby properly. When he and David Frost get together, it's amazing!
fall far and well Pilots!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

The Janis episodes are SOOOOO cool!!! Of course, her performances are... Well, such freedom and abandon doesn't happen too often. But she's always the first guest, and sits talking throughout the shows. Raquel Welch said, "Janis said to me the other day that she's going to be in a movie, but she doesn't know what kind of character she'll be playing. She just knows it won't be a virgin." As everybody laughs, Janis says, "I ain't that good an actress!"

But, being a child of her time, she's also got lots to say about politics, ecology, and whatever. She also says she's a Fitzgerald freak.
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I'd be interested to know how the conversations with Bowie, Mitchell and Harrison went.

What "persona" did Bowie have at the time?

And it must have been quite something to get Harrison on a talk show. My impression was that he rarely gave interviews (well, post-Beatles, anyway).
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

Post by Fist and Faith »

Damn! Sorry, dude. I was watching this the other day, and realized I never responded to you. :oops: :(

Bowie was Bowie. He said he wanted to perform as himself at that point, so was himself on tour. Also, he was sniffing a LOT. Easy to imagine he had snorted before going onstage. :lol: He was extremely fidgety, and had a cane that he kept playing with, twirling, etc. Looked very uncomfortable. Great performance of Young American though!! :D

Joni was excellent, in all performances and interviews. She was very cool. Always contributed to discussions with whoever else was there, but never trying to get the spotlight. Intelligent and funny.

Harrison was calm and quiet. He was always "the quiet one" after all. Heh. He also said these things are scary. Talked a little bit about the Beatles. Dick actually asked if it was Yoko's fault!! :haha:
All lies and jest
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

Well, I guess that picture of Bowie you draw pretty much reinforces the view that all rock stars in the '70s were dope fiends. :wink:

It's interesting, because I first got to know Bowie in '83 (his Let's Dance phase). From that time on, my impression of Bowie had always been that he's a self-assured and articulate man. Guess he cleaned himself up in the '80s, which I applaud him for. I remember Bowie in an interview saying he had seen what drugs what done to his friends and fellow musicians, and how that had basically scared him into being clean and sober.
Damelon
Lord

Post by Damelon »

Nice of you to get back with an answer so quick to MM, Fist. :P
Dromond
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Dromond »

Haha... licketysplit!

Anyway, I never saw this thread 'til now!

I really enjoyed The Dick Cavett Show back in the '70s, I'm certainly gonna look for this! Thanks, Fist!
taraswizard
<i>Haruchai</i>

Dick Cavett interviews

Post by taraswizard »

Agree with everything said about the Joplin interviews from the Cavett ABC late night talk show. I'd love to see the Mitchell and the Crosby pieces; BTW, does everyone know that Joni Mitchell is suffering from a form of MS.

As a further note, in the early 1980s Dick Cavett briefly had a public TV (PBS) talk show, during that time the only two interviews I remember were ones with Robin Williams and the author Mary McCarthy. The Williams interview was hilarious IIRC (but if you're not a fan of Williams, maybe not). The McCarthy segment was the interview where Mary said publically every word written by Lillian Helman, except 'and' and 'the', were lies.
Allan Rosewarne
taraswizard Essence of Amber
Buffy fans Chicago
W/T they are forever

Return to “TV Shows”