For or against capital punishment?

Free discussion of anything human or divine ~ Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality

Moderators: Xar, Fist and Faith

Are you for or against CP?

For
33%
Against
56%
Ambivalent
11%

Total votes: 27

Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

For or against capital punishment?

Post by Prebe »

I have seen this subject being introduced more or less obliquely into different threads. I thought I would give it its own. Inlcuding a poll.
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

I am totally against it.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

For.
Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

Depends on the circumstances. Also, I have issues with the whole "revenge for our slain loved one" thing. Will elaborate if anyone really wants to hear it.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

For - I accept that there are some things so heinous to warrant death. Jeffrey Dahmer (sp?) anyone!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Creator,

Punishing a killer like Dahmer by killing him doesn't make any sense at all to me.
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

At the very least, CP guarantees that there are no repeat offenders.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Creator
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Creator »

Lord Mhoram wrote:Creator,

Punishing a killer like Dahmer by killing him doesn't make any sense at all to me.
I guess it depends on what prisons are for; punishment, rehabilitation, justice for the victims. [Do we believe in "eye for an eye" or "turn the other cheek."]

A killer like Dahmer is beyond rehabilitation (let's take that as a given - interesting issues if you assume he can be rehabilitated). Should we support him for the rest of his life - or teminate his existence? In my opinion, where guilt is unquestionable, kill him and kill him quickly (I think our US capital processes taking decades to conclude is inefficient - and the waiting is cruel.) Doing so addresses punishment, justice for the victims, and eliminates Dahmer (and those like him) as a tax burden.

How many released inmates, sex offenders, etc. have repeat offenses, ruining other lives. Too many. Why should my tax dollars (and yours - in the US) support their continued existence?

I am known as a "gentle soul", but I have no mercy for predatory monsters in human form!
He/She who dies with the most toys wins! Wait a minute ... I can't die!!!
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Well put Creator.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Against, simply because so many people on death row have been found to actually be innocent. Thirteen people on death row in the state of Illinois were proven to be innocent, leading to a moratorium on executions in that state.
Love as thou wilt.

ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

For. And, yes, well put Creator...except one thing....as it stands now, capital punishment in states that use it costs more tax dollars per offender per capita than housing that same prisoner for life.

In Texas alone, the average DR inmate's stay is 10.43 years (through 1998). Add the appeal dollars onto DR prisoner housing...and the cost far exceeds the cost of life imprisonment.

A re-vamp of the system, as you suggested, is a must to lower costs.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

I am against it for a few reasons:

As LM said:
1: It just doesn't make sense, punishing people for taking lives by killing them. I don't suppose anyone would advocate that a rapist should be raped for his crime? If so, would they volunteer to be the executioner?

2: Even if I was for, in principle, the chance of killing an innocent person is there. If a person is put to jail for life, there is always the chance that new evidence will show his innocence.

3: Sentencing is arbitrary. One court might give a man the death penalty while another would give him life in prison. There is not sufficient objectivity to justify the ultimate punishment.

I am not even going to bring economics into this. Killing a guy, just because we think it is too expensive to lock him up, is callous at best.
Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

I didn't see any Ambivalents Alynna?
"I would have gone to the thesaurus for a more erudite word."
-Hashi Lebwohl
Lord Mhoram
Lord

Post by Lord Mhoram »

Good points, Prebe.
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

Prebe wrote:I am against it for a few reasons:

As LM said:
1: It just doesn't make sense, punishing people for taking lives by killing them. I don't suppose anyone would advocate that a rapist should be raped for his crime? If so, would they volunteer to be the executioner?
Where's the guarantee that the rapist, even punished by rape (which he might actually like 8) , won't repeat the offense?
Prebe wrote: 2: Even if I was for, in principle, the chance of killing an innocent person is there. If a person is put to jail for life, there is always the chance that new evidence will show his innocence.
That's why Creator said
Creator wrote:In my opinion, where guilt is unquestionable, kill him and kill him quickly...
Prebe wrote: 3: Sentencing is arbitrary. One court might give a man the death penalty while another would give him life in prison. There is not sufficient objectivity to justify the ultimate punishment.
Here I agree. It all depends on which side has the better jury selection techniques. :?
Prebe wrote: I am not even going to bring economics into this. Killing a guy, just because we think it is too expensive to lock him up, is callous at best.
Not just because we think it too expensive to lock him up.
And here, too, Creator has summed it up well:
Creator wrote:How many released inmates, sex offenders, etc. have repeat offenses, ruining other lives. Too many. Why should my tax dollars (and yours - in the US) support their continued existence?

--Abraham Lincoln

Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

Ur-bane:
Re 1: It was a principal question: Do you think it would be right to punish rape with rape?

Re 2: I overlooked that in Creators post. But the fact that it can happen should be reason enough to be principally against it. When you are convicted you guilt is absolute untill someone re-opens the case. There is no such thing as "Ok, lets not fry him. He might be innocent. Well just put him in jail in stead".

Re 3: I am glad you agree. Agreeing to this would be enough to be against it in my book. But if you think it is cool, that the guy with the big wallet gets off with life, while Joe Sixpack with his pro bono defence gets the gas I suppose thats fair enough.
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

Prebe wrote:Ur-bane:
Re 1: It was a principal question: Do you think it would be right to punish rape with rape?
Right? No. Only because it would do nothing to protect society from that same rapist.
Prebe wrote: Re 2: I overlooked that in Creators post. But the fact that it can happen should be reason enough to be principally against it. When you are convicted you guilt is absolute untill someone re-opens the case. There is no such thing as "Ok, lets not fry him. He might be innocent. Well just put him in jail in stead".
If we want to qualify capital punishment with as the system currently operates I would agree with you that it would be reason enough. I was not commenting on whether our system was efficient, but rather in the idea of capital punishment itself.
Prebe wrote: Re 3: I am glad you agree. Agreeing to this would be enough to be against it in my book. But if you think it is cool, that the guy with the big wallet gets off with life, while Joe Sixpack with his pro bono defence gets the gas I suppose thats fair enough.
Again, you are talking not about capital punishment itself, but how it is effected in the current system. These are different issues, therefore I can agree although I support capital punishment.

--Abraham Lincoln

Prebe
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Prebe »

No. Only because it would do nothing to protect society from that same rapist.
So we execute them too?
If we want to qualify capital punishment with as the system currently operates
(Emphasis mine)
How else would you qualify it? I understand that you are for the principle, but if you support it as the system currently operates, guilty rich people will get of the hook, and eventually innocent people will be executed.

Thank you for taking my post seriously and answering exhaustively. There is not to much of that about at the moment.
bossk
The Gap Into Spam

Post by bossk »

I don't believe that the government is who I want deciding life and death in that context. I find it really interesting that quite often it is people who believe that the evil are punished eternally in hell who seem to love this "earthly vengeance" scenario.

I admit, if someone killed my darling son, I'd want him dead in the most horrible way, but I like to think that my passionate feeling wouldn't be the basis for action. No kind of punishment would ever change the fact that an unredressable wrong had been done to me and my family.
Misanthropes of the world, unite!
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

Prebe wrote: So we execute them too?
I am so tempted to answer "yes" to that query. While the victim of a rape may not be dead, I think punishment in rape cases is not strict enough. Rehabilitation attempts more often than not fail, and the rapist is released from prison only to rape again.
I don't know the perfect solution, but capital punishment in rape cases certainly would prevent the rapist from attacking again, and could be a deterrent as well.

But I think there is another thread on rape somewhere which may be a better place to address that particular subject.

In capital punishment cases, IIRC, there seems to be thought among experts that it is not an effective deterrent. But I say at least one offender has been "deterred."
Prebe wrote:
If we want to qualify capital punishment with as the system currently operates
(Emphasis mine)
How else would you qualify it? I understand that you are for the principle, but if you support it as the system currently operates, guilty rich people will get of the hook, and eventually innocent people will be executed.
I am not saying that we shouldn't qualify capital punishment as the system currently operates, but I was (in error?) under the impression that you were more interested in discussing the idea of capital punishment itself rather than the shortcomings of the sytems which employ it.

--Abraham Lincoln

Return to “The Close”