Thomas Covenant and Audio Books

A place to discuss the books in the FC and SC. *Please Note* No LC spoilers allowed in this forum. Do so in the forum below.

Moderators: kevinswatch, Orlion

swimmingwithchickens
Servant of the Land

Thomas Covenant and Audio Books

Post by swimmingwithchickens »

I am rather new to this message board, so please pardon any breaches of etiquette I may make. I've been desperately searching for the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series on audio book but have been unable to find them anywhere. Surely this series has been converted to an audio format? If anyone knows where I can obtain a complete copy I'd greatly appreciate it!
I seek enlightenment.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

:D Welcome to the Watch Swimming...or should I call you Chicken?!?!

I myself have been looking for them on audiocassette or disc and have had no luck in locating them. I don't think they have been released in an audio format.

P.S.
Don't be afraid of any breaches in etiquette. This is certainly the most well-mannered and welcoming forum on the entire net!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
swimmingwithchickens
Servant of the Land

Thank you Brinn, you can call me whatever you like. SwCh usually works though. I've search the vast expanse of the 'net to no avail. I mean almost every book in creation has been "audiofied" at some point in time, why not this epic series?
I seek enlightenment.
swimmingwithchickens
Servant of the Land

By the way, what's with the White Gold Dollars? I know there must be a thread detailing it- or I must have missed it on FAQ's....
I seek enlightenment.
fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

re

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

y'know...would it be possible to create an audio of TCTC? I would dearly love to own such a thing...provided it were well done, or course...but it would be HARD for any reader to emote, all that angsty stuff...would be best if one of us did it, because we understand the chrons better than some hired reader-person :wink: If I were one of said reader-people, and someone handed me all six chrons and said read this aloud, with FEELING, I'd prob turn around an' leave...
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
birdandbear
The Gap Into Spam

Post by birdandbear »

I've never been able to find them either. I don't think they've been recorded. I would dearly love to have them though. Who do we put pressure on to get them released in audio format? The publisher? the recording company?

I don't think it would really be feasible to do it ourselves, cost wise. At least not on a mass market scale. Wouldn't it be fun though if we all read a chapter and just kept it amongst ourselves? :)
"If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."
Vain
Nom

Post by Vain »

My voice isn't exactly one of those "audio" versions :)

swimmingwithchickens - the only person known to have breached etiquette around here was some hacker idiot a long time ago.... :)
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

there are none
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

i have checked on the internet, searching for the audio books on several different search engines

Post by Guest »

I am really disheartened. Even mamoth books like Atlas Shrugged and War and Peace have been audiofied. (AS is composed of 38+ tapes!) Also I know there are agencies out there who audiofy books for the blind and such, so surely there's demand out there for it.
swimmingwithchickens
Servant of the Land

I'm the guest by the way. Apparently my login attempt failed and I just went on posting anyway.
I seek enlightenment.
Nav
Lord

Post by Nav »

We've discussed TCTC as talking book before, and we all got quite excited about which actors could voice who, amongst other things. My main concern about making the Cronichles into an audio book would be the extent to which they were abridged to make them a listenable length.

LOTR has been made into numerous audio books, and I gather it gets a considerable trim. Someone mentioned that there is an unabridged reading of LOTR, and that it costs over a hundred dollars and fills 46 CDs. Now bear in mind that, combined, the first two Chronicles weigh in at at least twice the length of LOTR and therein lies the biggest problem such a project would face. Nearly 100 CDs!

That said, we probably have enough members to construct an unabridged version of our own, and create a site specifically for it. Everyone could make one chapter each into a WMV file. I would fully expect SRD to sue our very asses off, mind.
Q. Why do Communists drink herbal tea?
A. Because proper tea is theft.
fightingmyinstincts
Giantfriend

re

Post by fightingmyinstincts »

Tht's ok, I'm not using mine :wink:
But seriously, I would be too disgusted to even read an abridged version...and I still think the chrons are too "thinky" to really be made into anything but a book...not movies or audios, not easily anyway.
"Well of course I understand. You live forever because your pure, sinless service is utterly and indomitably unballasted by any weight or dross of mere human weakness. Ah, the advantages of clean living."
TC to Bannor, LFB
Brinn of the Haruchai
Ramen

Post by Brinn of the Haruchai »

Maybe we could use some sort of zip method? :wink:
I am who I am, Ak-Haru Kenaustin Ardenol. The Guardian of the One
Tree. Brinn of the Haruchai.
Brinn
S.P.O.W

Post by Brinn »

8O I think I just saw a ghost! :wink:
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. John Stuart Mill
mystmaiden
Servant of the Land

audio

Post by mystmaiden »

hmm.. I have an unabridged LOTR on cassette (3 books on tape, nice wood box type of thing).. why not the Chronicles. I love audio books, someone to read to me when my hands and eyes are busy elsewhere... lovely, that.

myst
Revenant
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Revenant »

There exists on the net an illegal unabriged audiobook version of "Lord Foul's Bane".

It's actually a version done some years ago on tapes for blin... err, visually impared people. The two trilogies have been taped.
What happened is, it seems, someone got hold of the LFB tapes, got them to work at normal speed, and digitized them (or digitized, then changed speed).

The tapes themselves aren't illegal, some special permission can be given for 'internal' use; but the shared digitized version is illegal, of course. Sharing was first done through newsgroups maybe a year ago. Then got to other file-sharing networks.

Quality is ok; speeker is female (don't remember name), not a known person, just a regular speeker for the bl... visually impared tapes productions.

Haven't seen the rest of TCTC, nor TSCTC, from these tapes.

/edit: well, some others posted info here about the tapes:
kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7396
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

Audible UK has just bought the rights to produce unabridged audio editions of the four volumes of "The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant." At the same time (so I'm told), Audible UK is negotiating with Ballantine Books for the rights to the first six "Covenant" books. At this early stage, I have no way of knowing when any of these editions will be released.

3/14/15
MsMary
The Gap Into Spam

Post by MsMary »

Whoa, thread necromancy. 8O ;)
"The Cheat is GROUNDED! We had that lightswitch installed for you so you could turn the lights on and off, not so you could throw lightswitch raves!"
- I'm always all right.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

MsMary wrote:Whoa, thread necromancy. 8O ;)
Ha! I thought the same thing. But, this seemed like a good thread to revive with the latest news.

Return to “The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant”