Stephen R Donaldson vs Stephen King

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Donaldson vs King

Stephen R Donaldson
91%
Stephen King
9%

Total votes: 34

Baracka
Stonedownor

Stephen R Donaldson vs Stephen King

Post by Baracka »

Which is the better author?
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

Donaldson. :P

Although having said that i do like SK's work especially The Dark Tower series and other stories.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Donaldson, hands down. I've liked a couple of King's books, but on the whole, I usuallly can't get through them.

The Dark Tower is good, though the last few books have been lackluster. Wolves of the Calla didn't feel like it needed to be an entire book, though it was pretty good. But Song of Susannah really started to turn into a typical King book (with a few good parts). And I'm sorry, but the last book is just plain sucking. It's taken me nearly a month to finish it.
Spoiler
And I think a lot of it has to do with all the self-referential bits. It's just too much. I think it was intended to give the books a more 'real' feel to it, but it's had the opposite effect on me. Just seems so contrived and superficial. And with Eddie and Jake dead (both deaths feeling so pointless and needless, and I can't escape the feeling that it's all for a plot device to be revealed later in the story. I can handle characters dying, but...) and Susannah being Odetta-ish half the time (I know the personality is supposed to sound like a caricature, but damn). And good old Roland has gotten soft. With Eddie and Jake around, that was a good thing, but now... I miss the old badass Roland. The freakin' resolution better be worth the next couple hundred pages I have to sludge through)
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Revan
Drool Rockworm's Servant

Post by Revan »

I do not actually have that much difficultly answered this question, seen as i have only read books by the one author; so by default it obviously has to be Stephen Donaldson.

However, jthis question is too simple. I've asked questions like it myself, and know this. Stephen Kind is obviously not unskilled; regardless of some peoples opinion of him. No bad author could write books of extensive success, have some made into films, have millions of fans - and be a bad writer.

Different authors have different strenghts, one of Donaldsons main strengths is, in my personal opinion, his characters, they have flaws, and are very "grey" - quaint term - however others will think that Stephen King is more sophisticated regarding description.

So they are both better than each other, some have strengths where the others have weaknesses, and vice versa.
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

Is there any doubt? I can't think of a SK book that I've read more than once. I can't think of a Donaldson book that I didn't read more than once.

Donaldson has always been able to capture my imagination in ways King cannot touch.
And regardless of genre differences, Donaldson's writing style is much more appealing to me than King's.

One man's opinion.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

King has his strengths, sure, but writing isn't one of them. I don't mean to be insulting; in fact, I'm pretty sure King would say the same thing. He's great at creating stories, but he's not so great at writing them. I think his prolificacy and success at silver screen conversions are proof of the the former, but when it comes to the latter... That's why I say Donaldson has King beaten hands down. Just an opinion, but that's what I think.
"It is not the literal past that rules us, save, possibly, in a biological sense. It is images of the past. Each new historical era mirrors itself in the picture and active mythology of its past or of a past borrowed from other cultures. It tests its sense of identity, of regress or new achievement against that past.”
-George Steiner
Cail
Lord

Post by Cail »

Prior to reading The Gap, I would've said King, no question. It's tougher now.

I've read everything King's written. I'm of the firm belief he should have only written half of his books. For every Stand, there's a Gerald's Game. For every It, there's a Rose Madder. Still, when King is on, he's on.

I've read The Gap and The Chrons. I absolutely loathe the 100 or so pages I've read of Mordant's Need. I haven't started any of the mysteries yet.

Here's the difference. King can tell an amazing story in one book. One long book usually, but nevertheless, one book. Donaldson writes epics. There's something to be said for a self-contained story (like The Dead Zone).

Donaldson is certainly a more challenging author to read, due to both his use of language and his refusal to have likeable main characters, but I don't think that equates to better.

I give the nod to King, who has written fantastic short stories (Beachworld, The Mist, Survivor Type), fantastic stand-alones (The Stand, Carrie, The Dead Zone), and a truly unbelievable epic (The Dark Tower).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." - PJ O'Rourke
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
matrixman
The Gap Into Spam

Post by matrixman »

I have never read Stephen King. Likely never will. However, I have enjoyed a few of the movies based on his novels.

(Oh, and maybe this topic should go in the Stephen King subforum.)
aTOMiC
Lord

Post by aTOMiC »

I read The Gunslinger (Dark Tower I) and a few other stories by King. According to my tastes there is no comparison. Donaldson without question. King is his own thing. To me its much like comparing apples and oranges. For all the effort King put into the Dark Tower, it doesn't do much for me as a book in the fantasy genre. He seems more natural and gifted with horror. IMHO.
"If you can't tell the difference, what difference does it make?"

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
Baracka
Stonedownor

Post by Baracka »

Wow..I have the opposite view of Stephen King. I think he's a very good writer, but his stories suck. In written form, with much embellishment, his weak stories are not as obvious, but watch a MOVIE, and it becomes crystal clear. Stephen King's plots are absurd, and dumb, but he's a good writer. But as someone said, I never want to read a Stephen King book more than once.

Stephen R Donaldson on the other hand, I can re-read his books again and again. His writing at times is way too verbose, and he uses ridiculously esoteric terms, but he creates masterpieces.

That's why I think Donaldson is the superior writer.
onewyteduck
The Gap Into Spam

Post by onewyteduck »

Do you really have to ask? 8O :lol: ;)
Be kind to your web-footed friends, for a duck may be somebody's mother.
Usivius
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Usivius »

I have read a few King novels. I agree with the delight of reading a self-contained book. Far too few these days. And he has a gift for suspence. But on the whole, I think SRD is the better writer. Or, at the very least, I find him better.
~...with a floating smile and a light blue sponge...~
Furls Fire
Lord

Post by Furls Fire »

Well, the Dark Tower blew me away, I wasn't much of a King fan as I am not really into horror/gory stories. But, the Tower taught me a new appreciation for King.

That being said, I consider Donaldson one of my favorite all time authors, along with Tolkien, Lewis, Moorcock, LeGuin...etc. I find it hard to pick a "favorite" or say "who is better", because they have all given me such great stories to read, and have touched me in different ways. I now add King to that list because of the Tower books.

And Syl, when you get to the end...you will understand why all that was necessary...it ends the only way it CAN end. :)
And I believe in you
altho you never asked me too
I will remember you
and what life put you thru.

~fly fly little wing, fly where only angels sing~

~this world was never meant for one as beautiful as you~

...for then I could fly away and be at rest. Sweet rest, Mom. We all love and miss you.

Image Image
[Syl]
Unfettered One

Post by [Syl] »

Got to the end today, Furls, and my opinions haven't changed much. If anything, I think they've been reinforced. I will grant that the last quarter of the book did pick up, though.

I'll have to mull it over a bit, and then I'll post my thoughts in the King forum.
-George Steiner
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

I'd have to say Donaldson. :D

Havind re-read The Gunslinger and The Drawing of Three in the last week, I am struck by the complexity of the character of Roland, and by the way King creates a rich and diverse world through Roland's thoughts and memories.

However, I would have to agree with Baracka that King's stories leave a lot to be desired. On the other hand, Donaldson's stories are amazing, and his characters are even better. I have emotional responses to Donaldson's characters that I have never had to other fictional characters.
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i'm standing up for my fellow New Englander King. Dead Zone, the Mist, the Stand, Cujo, the Shining and his best... Salem's Lot. and we haven't even touched on a quarter of his writing. for variety, for entertainment. for his voice when writing. maybe it's that King writes from a perspective i know. the Long Walk, Misery, Carrie, Pet Semetary, It... and I only touched on one short story. the Green Mile...
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

The Green Mile is excellent, Insomnia and Dreamcatcher i found enjoyable aswell and also Thinner was a short but good book.
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.
ur-bane
The Gap Into Spam

Post by ur-bane »

I think it's great that we can all read the same books, and yet all feel differently about them. It's good, too, lest we would have nothing to discuss!
I am disappointed, however. I thought for sure this would be the only poll in Watch History with a shutout. ;)

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power.
--Abraham Lincoln

Excerpt from Animal Songs Never Written
"Hey, dad," croaked the vulture, "what are you eating?"
"Carrion, my wayward son."
"Will there be pieces when you are done?"
Old Darth
<i>Elohim</i>

Post by Old Darth »

King is a master storyteller and when I read his books it is more akin to listening to someone spin a tale around a campfire. The sheer volume of his work, the memorable characters he has created, all add up to an impressive body of work.

Donaldson has written far less volume wise and his work contains far more passion than any other writer I have come across. Technically Donaldson eclipses King but some of that is due to stylistic choices the two have made because of the genres they work in.

If I had to choose, I would very reluctantly pick King. :(
Every man is my superior, in that, I may learn from him.
sgt.null
Jack of Odd Trades, Master of Fun

Post by sgt.null »

i have always contended that King will be still read 100/200 years from now. now if Donaldson eneters popular culture? i wish there were more Donaldson fans.
Lenin, Marx
Marx, Lennon
Good Dog...

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”