SRD Tour Headquarters: Conventions/Speaking engagements

For discussion about Stephen R. Donaldson's other works, Reed Stephens, group meetings, elohimfests, SRD sightings, and more.

Moderator: Seareach

Alynna Lis Eachann
Lord

Post by Alynna Lis Eachann »

No, no, no, I meant I'm going to Maine for class.. grad credits.. field biology and a vacation all in one... limited amount of money... have given up anything Donaldson-related for the chance to hide from society for two weeks (and if it wasn't for the difficulty of finding a barn, I'd make it a permenant escape). No Donaldson in Maine. :( Though it would be nice.
"We probably could have saved ourselves, but we were too damned lazy to try very hard... and too damn cheap." - Kurt Vonnegut

"Now if you remember all great paintings have an element of tragedy to them. Uh, for instance if you remember from last week, the unicorn was stuck on the aircraft carrier and couldn't get off. That was very sad. " - Kids in the Hall
kvickie
Servant of the Land

Post by kvickie »

danlo wrote:Oh so now you're refering to me as old...well...hope to see you both there! 8)
No!! I have no idea how old YOU are!! I just meant that I was afraid everyone there would be younger than me!

Nothing makes you feel old like being around a bunch of eighteen year old kids!!

Of course, if everyone is older than me it might make me feel young!!
:D
Vickie

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

There's a big over 35 group--40% SRD fans 40% George Martin fans and 20% Walter Jon Williams (and others) fans--if you avoid the gamers and the SW/ST nerds you'll be ok... :P

I'll have to check the Bubonicon archives, I think SRD once was The Guest of Honor but it was a long time ago...they've had some really good ones...

Edit: just checked and NO Stephen R. Donaldson has NEVER been the Guest of Honor, here's the roll:

B36 (2004) Connie Willis
B35 (2003) *Charles de Lint
B34 (2002) • Esther Friesner
B33 (2001) • Sarah Ziettel
B32 (2000) • Walter Jon Williams
B31 (1999) • Jack McDevitt
B30 (1998) • Robert J. Sawyer, Jane Lindskold
B29 (1997) • John Barnes
B28 (1996) • Dennis McKiernan
B27 (1995) • Harry Turtledove
B26 (1994) • Michael Stackpole
B25 (1993) • Kevin J. Anderson, Robert C. Cornett
B24 (1992) • Thorarinn Gunnarsson
B23 (1991) • Simon Hawke
B22 (1990) • Jennifer Roberson
B21 (1989) • Melinda Snodgrass
B20 (1988) • John E. Stith
B19 (1987) • Parke Godwin
B18 (1986) • George R. R. Martin
B17 (1985) • Fred Saberhagen
B16 (1984) • Spider & Jeanne Robinson
B15 (1983) • Jack Williamson
B14 (1982) • Chelsea Quinn Yarbro
B13 (1981) • Roger Zelazny
B12 (1980) • C.J. Cherryh
B11 (1979) • Orson Scott Card
B10 (1978) • Gordon R. Dickson
B9 (1977) • Gordon Eklund
B8 (1976) • Bill Rotsler
B7 (1975) • Ed Bryant
B6 (1974) • F.M. Busby
B5 (1973) • Robert Silverberg
B4 (1972) • Ted White
B3 (1971) • Jack Williamson
Last edited by danlo on Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fall far and well Pilots!
kvickie
Servant of the Land

Post by kvickie »

I have one of Martin's books- A Game of Thrones- someone told me it was really good. I started to read it, and I got stuck at about page 175. The things that were happening were so cruel and horrible that I couldn't go on. Of course, I had the same problem with the Covenant novels at first after Lena's rape. Eventually I will probably go back to it and love it, but I think it's going to be a while.
Vickie

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Yep, there's something merciless in the hard New Mexican water. Plutonium or all the blood Onate spilled, or both? :P
kvickie
Servant of the Land

Post by kvickie »

danlo wrote:Yep, there's something merciless in the hard New Mexican water. Plutonium or all the blood Onate spilled, or both? :P

You mean about my love of viciously cruel stories? Probably so, it's the hispanic blood- torture just makes sense. My problem with the Martin story is that, so far, I have only found one thing beautiful about his world, which is the wolves, and they are being ruthlessly destroyed by people who know they didn't do anything wrong.

I know it will probably all work out in the end, but right now it just isn't something I can deal with. Maybe I'm just a pansy after all- unworthy of my ancestry. :cry:
Vickie

Mouseglove
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mouseglove »

dlbpharmd wrote:Anyone making plans for the March 2005 IAFA meeting in Fort Lauderdale?

ebbs.english.vt.edu/iafa/iafa.home.html
I am, as always. However, this year they've scheduled the IAFA "Year in Horror" panel, which I am on, directly opposite SRD's reading session, so I won't be able to attend. I may ask my wife to go in my place, however, so someone who has heard him can tell me all about it.

For the record, I am not happy about the way this turned out this year, but I guess it had to happen eventually. :x

-Mouseglove
"Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil." -Mouseglove
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Athens OH, Mouseglove? Hah! I'm on the phone with Athens right now! :)
My friend goes to school there... but that's predictable.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
Mouseglove
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mouseglove »

Actually, I _was_ in Athens, but moved last August back to Mount Pleasant, MI. I just noticed all-too-recently that I needed to update my profile. :oops:
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Post by duchess of malfi »

Mouseglove wrote:Actually, I _was_ in Athens, but moved last August back to Mount Pleasant, MI. I just noticed all-too-recently that I needed to update my profile. :oops:
Good to see a fellow Michigander. 8)

Now that I know SRD is doing readings from Fatal Revenant at some conventions, I have to make up my mind whether or not to go to the one in Madison. :? I would like to go, but its a long drive from Ann Arbor, and I would have to skirt around the nightmare Chicagoland traffic. Image
Love as thou wilt.

Mouseglove
Woodhelvennin

Post by Mouseglove »

duchess of malfi wrote:I would like to go, but its a long drive from Ann Arbor, and I would have to skirt around the nightmare Chicagoland traffic.
There is another solution. If you drive upstate to our part, depending on when it is, you could take the auto ferry across the lake. Check out the link below. This is but one of the ships that sails from Ludington, MI, to somewhere in WI. 8)

www.ssbadger.com/
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

They also started a service running between Muskegon and Milwaukee last year. Definately worth checking the Lake Michigan ferries out...might be a go depending on the cost and if they are still operating that late in the fall. :D

And best of all, I could miss the long skinny parking lot called I80 in northern Indiana. :wink:
Love as thou wilt.

duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Well, I will not going to Madison for that convention. One of my sons will be wrestling for a national championship that weekend, if all goes well (he qualified, hopeully he will be healthy). 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
lazarus
Servant of the Land

Post by lazarus »

Bubonicon here I come. It's my birthday weekend, and my in-laws just moved to Albuquerque, only 3 miles from the con hotel.

Whee!
duchess of malfi
The Gap Into Spam

Sounds good. I hope you can go. Try to hook up with danlo,who lives in Albuquerque, he's a sweetheart. :D
lazarus
Servant of the Land

Post by lazarus »

I'll do that, thanks!
Gadget nee Jemcheeta
The Gap Into Spam

Post by Gadget nee Jemcheeta »

Way to go to your son, duchess. I've never had a good experience with a wrestler, but I'd imagine if you raised him he'd probably be a pretty cool guy.
Start where you are,
use what you have,
do what you can.
dlbpharmd
Lord

Post by dlbpharmd »

There is a new appearance listed on the SRD website for February 2006.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Well here's the confirmed guestlist of Bubonicon 37, August 26-28
with SRD as the guest of honor--alot of the usual suspects 8) Jack Williamson is too fragile to make the trip and George R. R. Martin is too busy working or, rightfully miffed, at some of the obnoxious fans from last year.

Daniel Abraham
Bruce D. Arthurs
Doug Beason
Nancy V. Berberick
Richard Berthold
Suzy McKee Charnas
Douglas Clark
Yvonne Coats
Terry England
Andrew Fox
Gordon Garb
Steven Gould
Sally Gwylan
Nancy Holder
Dr. Steven D. Howe
Anne & Jeff Lambert
Jane Lindskold
Patricia Shaw Mathews
Vic Milán
John J. Miller
Laura J. Mixon
Pati Nagle
Scott Phillips
John Maddox Roberts
Melinda Snodgrass
Richard Speck
Robert Vardeman
Walter Jon Williams

I'll make it a point to talk to Walter Jon Williams again--he's a serious hoot--I'd love to kidnap him to a bar for a few hours. I think I'm also going to seek out Stephen Gould (who shouldn't be confused with the eminent evolutionary biologist, Dr. Stephen J. Gould) I've been tempted to buy a number of his books and he looks like he's starting to make his mark on the fantasy world.
Warmark
Lord

Post by Warmark »

George R. R. Martin is too busy working or, rightfully miffed, at some of the obnoxious fans from last year.

Slight, well way, Off topic, but what did the fan say? Im guessing something along the lines of
HURRY UP WITH ASoIaF!
But if you're all about the destination, then take a fucking flight.
We're going nowhere slowly, but we're seeing all the sights.
And we're definitely going to hell, but we'll have all the best stories to tell.

Full of the heavens and time.

Return to “General SRD Discussion and Other Works”