The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Malazan and other stuff.

Moderators: lucimay, Onos T'oolan

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Post by variol son »

I bought Gardens of the Moon yesterday and have read half of it, and all I can say is...WOW!

The depth of the story is so amazing. The plot itself feels like something akin to The Gap Cycle in that everyone has a plan, or a goal, or an agenda, and everyone knows part of someone elses plan, or goal, or agenda, but all, and not everyone elses.

Add to that a number of characters who are easy to identify with because they are normal people doing the best they can with the resources they've been given, and going far beyond where they, or I, expected them to be able to go. Tattersail, Paran, Toc the Younger, Whiskeyjack, even Adjunct Lorn, and this is all in the first book.

I am going to devour this series. :D
You do not hear, and so you cannot be redeemed.

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

It's a very entertaining book. It's an even better "set-up" book. You're probably right in the place that begins to drag on a bit, but then there's
Spoiler
The Assasin's War
and bamm---off it goes! The only thing that really bugs me is the 4 or 5 times where he uses the same adjective within 6 sentences--other than that it's alot of fun. If you read fairly fast the "dragging" part may not make that much difference to you. 8)
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

I love this series.:D

It's about time somebody was able to incorporate a high magic setting with many of the tropes that made people fall for fantasy when we we were (or still are) younger, Wizards, Warrirors, Gods, Assassins, and put it in a competent work written in a responsible enough manner where you don't laugh at yourself for reading it.

Love the cast, love the magic system, love the crazy scope of the Worldbuilding effort, love the deity system. I can't wait until Book 6, The Bonehunters next year!

This series gets better as it goes along, as Erikson's chops is greatly reduced by Book II. In my opinion just under the Martin mark (IMHO the standard of epic fantasy), and along with R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing the best epic fantasy series being written today.

Just good stuff.
Last edited by Ainulindale on Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

Ainulindale puts it better than I can. Great series, and getting better with each book.
lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

danlo said:
The only thing that really bugs me is the 4 or 5 times where he uses the same adjective within 6 sentences
oh he DOES do that, doesn't he??? he gets on a word and just rides it 'til it drops!!! :)
like "susuration" in Memories of Ice (or maybe it was House of Chains, i can't remember now)!!! i had never seen the word used before and actually had to look it up as he used it so many times that i was beginning to wonder at the context!!! (usually if i'm unfamiliar with a word, i can at least get the gist from the context)
it becomes increasingly apparent as you read that Erikson is enamoured of susserations!!! :)

however...i absolutely LOVE this series!!!! i am wondering if i'll need to leave the country to buy Bonehunters just to get it before Feb of 2006!!!! :)
i am midway through Midnight Tides and am feeling somewhat frustrated because there are people on the Malazan forum who have already READ Bonehunters!!! and i don't know how they got it!!!!!! i HATE waiting on series. (i fault stephen king and DT for making me neurotic on this issue!)

anyway, i love these books too!!!
Last edited by lucimay on Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryzel
Bloodguard

Post by Ryzel »

This is one of the greatest fantasy series out there, certainly. My only problem with it is that the quite complex "Gardens of the Moon" might not be the best place to start a series as big as this one. Starting 'in medias res' might come highly recommended, but you really should take the time to explain things then. How many books do you have to read to really get a good explanation of the Imass for instance?

No, there really is a good reason why the hero in a fantasy series should be uneducated and stupid. It is just to give the writer the chance to explain the world to the reader. :) (Of course Karsa Orlong might do the trick, if any of his companions stayed alive long enough to explain things...)
"Und wenn sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf." Bernd das Brot
Encryptic
<i>Haruchai</i>

Post by Encryptic »

I bought Gardens of the Moon a couple months back based on the strong recommendations I'd heard, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Once I finish working through Stephenson's Baroque Cycle, I'll have to give it a shot.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

How many books are planned for the series?

In the name of their ancient pride and humiliation, they had made commitments with no possible outcome except bereavement.

He knew only that they had never striven to reject the boundaries of themselves.
Ainulindale
Giantfriend

Post by Ainulindale »

How many books are planned for the series?

It's a planned 10 book series that goes as follows:

Here are the titles:

Gardens of the Moon
Deadhouse Gates
Memories of Ice
House of Chains
Midnight Tides

Bonehunters (forthcoming)
Reapers Cale (forthcoming)
Toll of Hounds (forthcoming)
Dust of Dreams (forthcoming)
The Crippled God (forthcoming)

The first two are readily available in the U.S., the third coming out later this year - in the civilized world, up to book 5 is available.

There is also a recently released novel entitled Night of Knives set in the Malazan universe written by Ian Cameron Esslemont, that chronicles some important events that occur before Gardens of the Moon (not necessary to read before however) that was published by PS publishing. To see more info on that go HERE There are also some Malazan novellas that were available by PS publishing writen by Erikson, entitled Blood Follows and The Healthy. I think the PS novellas are out of print, but NightShade Books has reissued them.
Latest Interview: George R.R. Martin

The Bodhisattva
Fantasybookspot.com

Check out the first issue of Heliotrope - featuring articles by R. Scott Bakker, Jeff VanderMeer and more!

"I think it's undignified to read for the purposes of escape. After you grow up, you should start reading for other purposes" - M. John Harrison
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Book Three later this year? But the entire series is available at Borders here in New Zealand. Why only the first two in the US?

As to the actual story, Have just reached the end of Part 5 The Assassins War and about to start Part 6 The Gadarobi Hills. All I can say is that Tattersail had better come back quickly. :D

I'm Murrin
Are you?

Post by I'm Murrin »

variol son wrote:Book Three later this year? But the entire series is available at Borders here in New Zealand. Why only the first two in the US?
Erikson had trouble getting a US publisher, because they considered Gardens of the Moon too complicated.
As to the actual story, Have just reached the end of Part 5 The Assassins War and about to start Part 6 The Gadarobi Hills. All I can say is that Tattersail had better come back quickly. :D
As to that... I'm keeping my mouth shut. Enjoy the rest of the book.
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Oh I will. :D

Tattersail, and to an extent Paran and Toc, remind me of Covenant and Linden somewhat - ordinary people who are driven to do extraordinary things by the extremity of their situation.

This series is definately a winner with me. :D

danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

Ryzel wrote:No, there really is a good reason why the hero in a fantasy series should be uneducated and stupid.
OH taking a poke at Simon I see :P Simon suffered as did danlo (incredibly) **danlo takes poor Simon under his wing, begins to walk away**

Tattersail's an amazing character isn't she?--also reminds me of Deth in Riddle Master of Hed and the First: cause she's tall, old and hot! :twisted:
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

The Jaghut Tyrant just escaped Kruppe's dream. Things are getting so exciting! :D

variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

Then I shall await the coming of a soldier.
Wow! 8O

On to Deadhouse Gates. :S

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

variol son said
Then I shall await the coming of a soldier.

Wow!

On to Deadhouse Gates.
wait 'til you get to Memories of Ice!!!!!! ah, i loved DG! am at the end of Midnight Tides. will start back at GotM when finished. how many times can i read these five books until six comes out???? :)
danlo
Lord

Post by danlo »

:yeehaa:
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

As I plough my way through Deadhouse Gates, I marvel at the way I connect with the new characters so quickly, despite the fact that Erikson has started so many new plot-lines.

Icarium and Mappo, Felisin, Heboric and Baudin. Duiker. I was worried that we were leaving Paran and Dujek and Rallick and Kruppe and Murrillio and Whiskeyjack behind when I finished Gardens of the Moon, but that's no longer a problem. :D

lucimay
Lord

Post by lucimay »

yeah, very cool. the malazan forum has excellent discussions about what's to come in the rest of the series. this series quickly supplanted all my other reading material!!!
you're more advanced than a cockroach,
have you ever tried explaining yourself
to one of them?
~ alan bates, the mothman prophecies

i've had this with actors before, on the set,
where they get upset about the [size of my]
trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer,
cause... i'm from Kentucky
and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
variol son
The Gap Into Spam

Post by variol son »

And just when I think it can't get much better, Erikson throws Felisin at me. That girl is so messed up it's...Donaldson-esque. :?

She'd fit right in on Captain's Fancy.

Return to “Steven Erikson Forum”